Hideaway Beach at Perfect Day

2 hours ago, tmann4 said:

It is really too bad they have to charge for an adults only area.  They already have an area they charge extra.  Wait until they start charging for this area on the ship.  

Agree. I’m expecting them to announce the “adults only” area of Icon is an up charge.  Shocked they haven’t already. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

But, but, but…..the little ones won’t be there.  Gotta be worth the price, and not having to explain your behavior to them on Cococay when you get home, right? 😉  What happens in Hideaway Beach stays in Hideaway Beach. 

And pizza has to be worth something, right?! 🍕

I guess I'm past the age of inappropriate behavior that needs explaining.   I wonder why anyone who wants to party that hard would want to sail RCCL? (a line for families or older adults)

As for the pizza, at the Hideaway Beach prices I'm hearing, they better be flying it in from New York.   The pizza on board is almost not worth eating, even for free. 

Enjoy Hideaway beach.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I guess I'm past the age of inappropriate behavior that needs explaining.   I wonder why anyone who wants to party that hard would want to sail RCCL? (a line for families or older adults)

As for the pizza, at the Hideaway Beach prices I'm hearing, they better be flying it in from New York.   The pizza on board is almost not worth eating, even for free. 

Enjoy Hideaway beach.  

M

I guess my sarcasm was subtle. I happen to agree with you.  Just stating what RCI must me thinking. 🙂

• Like 1

I thank you for your speedy response - good to know - by the way we paid 43.99 - saw it online on cruise planner before we got the email announcement.  Also, to show how prices have increased - we had a cruise during pandemic that was cancelled - we had reservations for the BEACH CLUB and only paid $75.  I still think if you are paying big bucks for a suite - Beach Club should be included as there once was a special beach on Labadee with steaks on the menu (no Lobster) but no extra charge if booked in a suite.  But, as long as we pay  - they will keep these things up.  Recent cruisers will laugh - but many years ago when we started cruising there was NO SUCH ANIMAL as a specialty restaurant - ha - 

Still a cruise lover here - despite the changes over the years  - still my favorite vacation!

On 9/16/2023 at 3:54 PM, cruise_co said:

For our next cruise next year, the beach club beach cabana and the Hideout cabana are only $100 apart with the beach club at $1,999 and the Hideout cabana at $1,899.  Beach club for the win on that one. If we get a cabana, we do it for the tranquility and semi-privacy. I would not be willing to pay almost the same amount for someone to be swimming directly in front of our cabana in the pool.  

The general entry fees however are much different with Beach club being substantially higher at $239 vs 43.99. We did purchase Hideaway beach just to check it out. If we hate it, we can grab a slice of pizza and leave and not be out a big chunk of money.  

Yeah for forty bucks or so I think it's a good deal. Much higher and I don't know. But that's for me, I usually just hit the Island for a few hours and go back and enjoy the ship, I'm not really a beach person. I have to admit though, Hideaway beach looks kinda cool to me. I'm cruising Oct. 15 so obviously it's not an option.

I am probably one of the few people who just doesn't like coco cay at all especially with the price increases and personally find it boring.  We aren't big drinkers and can't sit in a chair all day.  Snorkeling is terrible there compared to what we have seen elsewhere.  I saw the hideaway bay and was actually interested as it had the adult section and I thought well a new place to walk around and relax.  Nope.  Gotta fork out money.  We are back there in November and we were just saying to each other, let's just go for a few hours after lunch on ship and hopefully it won't be as crowded.  

It's likely already been mentioned, but I think RCI is trying to pull the 20 to 30 somethings without children away from the main pool.  I wouldn't be surprised if families have complained about the boozing etc from that group.  

Teddie

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

Recent cruisers will laugh - but many years ago when we started cruising there was NO SUCH ANIMAL as a specialty restaurant - ha - 

Still a cruise lover here - despite the changes over the years  - still my favorite vacation!

Yep--our first cruise in 2004 was on the Explorer.  We paid $25 ("to cover gratuities") at Portofinos-- maybe there was a Chops too, but I don't remember. Now it's a whole other world.

Teddie

16 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I am probably one of the few people who just doesn't like coco cay at all especially with the price increases and personally find it boring.  We aren't big drinkers and can't sit in a chair all day.  Snorkeling is terrible there compared to what we have seen elsewhere.  I saw the hideaway bay and was actually interested as it had the adult section and I thought well a new place to walk around and relax.  Nope.  Gotta fork out money.  We are back there in November and we were just saying to each other, let's just go for a few hours after lunch on ship and hopefully it won't be as crowded.  

When we're in CC, we get off the ship early and grab shady seats by the pool.  Once it starts getting crowded and we lose the shade, we go grab lunch and then go back to the ship.  As I said previously we booked Hideaway for $43.99 for Jan, but are still debating. While we love good music, we aren't big partiers.  Since we're on Wonder, we're just as happy to stay onboard so we'll decide before the cruise whether we really want to do it.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, SUgwoz said:

If someone goes to South Beach away from all the activities, is it over run by kids?   

We have not found there to be lots of kids at South Beach.  There are definitely some but not like you see at Chill Beach.  We bring our own blowup pool noodles and just float out in the water past the Floating Bar and palapas that are in the water.  It is usually pretty quiet out there until the tide goes out and more people go out to the sandbar.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have not found there to be lots of kids at South Beach.  There are definitely some but not like you see at Chill Beach.  We bring our own blowup pool noodles and just float out in the water past the Floating Bar and palapas that are in the water.  It is usually pretty quiet out there until the tide goes out and more people go out to the sandbar.

I will have to go there next time.  I always go to that beach over the bridge at Oasis Lagoon that is right near the Shack Shack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

When we're in CC, we get off the ship early and grab shady seats by the pool.  Once it starts getting crowded and we lose the shade, we go grab lunch and then go back to the ship.  As I said previously we booked Hideaway for $43.99 for Jan, but are still debating. While we love good music, we aren't big partiers.  Since we're on Wonder, we're just as happy to stay onboard so we'll decide before the cruise whether we really want to do it.

We will probably do the same or go later.  I have no Coco cay stops (thankfully) in my upcoming cruises so the Hideaway won't be a factor at this point.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I will have to go there next time.  I always go to that beach over the bridge at Oasis Lagoon that is right near the Shack Shack

That is where we used to go too but started going to South Beach to try something different.  There is a Snack Shack at South Beach too.  We have taken the tram there but lately, we have been walking there.  We go straight when you come off the pier and go to the zero entry end of the Oasis Lagoon.  We walk a few laps in the pool before it gets too crowded and cool off a bit.  We then walk the rest of the way to South Beach.  There are lots of sign and a few people under umbrellas that will point you in the right direction.  We have found a path that goes through the trees and bushes that takes you right to South Beach.  It is shady and keeps you out of the roads that the trams run on.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

I thank you for your speedy response - good to know - by the way we paid 43.99 - saw it online on cruise planner before we got the email announcement.  Also, to show how prices have increased - we had a cruise during pandemic that was cancelled - we had reservations for the BEACH CLUB and only paid $75.  I still think if you are paying big bucks for a suite - Beach Club should be included as there once was a special beach on Labadee with steaks on the menu (no Lobster) but no extra charge if booked in a suite.  But, as long as we pay  - they will keep these things up.  Recent cruisers will laugh - but many years ago when we started cruising there was NO SUCH ANIMAL as a specialty restaurant - ha - 

We were at the Beach Club in February 2020 two weeks before the shutdown, and it was $65/pp. Would never do it again at today’s prices, and even at ~$50/pp Hideaway bay is not worth the price.

When we started cruising in 1981, every evening in the Main Dining room was a specialty dining experience (I had the menus framed and still have them  somewhere),and the dress code was suits for men and dresses for women for dinner every evening  (and there were two tuxedo evenings to boot).

There still is a suites (and Pins) only beach on Labadee although the steaks have disappeared.

I was wondering about this.  I (luckily) purchased a Breezy Bay Full-Day Beach Bed Rental when it was @ $219.  It's now at $399. But I have never been to Coco Cay and I am looking forward to some lounging around time with two of my best friends.  I'm still hoping that the beach bed rental is the better option over this day pass as we just want to have a chill day - a bunch of rowdy people or loud DJ  is not necessarily my cup of tea - although I would enjoy some pool time.

TAXES ON THE RESERVATION

Have never seen taxes charged on excursions.  Recent reservations for Hideway Beach day pass in August 2024 are:  $105.98 plus tax for $116.56 and week later $123.98 plus tax for $136.36.  Who gets the taxes?  Bahama Government?

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

When we started cruising in 1981, every evening in the Main Dining room was a specialty dining experience (I had the menus framed and still have them  somewhere),and the dress code was suits for men and dresses for women for dinner every evening  (and there were two tuxedo evenings to boot).

According to New York Times 1982 listing of cruises, Song of Norway capacity was 1,040 and price range was $995-1835 for a 7 night out of Miami.  Which would be about $3k-6k today. Much smaller passenger pool and I would assume the dining room had a much larger portion of the budget.

29 minutes ago, hlfrps said:

TAXES ON THE RESERVATION

Have never seen taxes charged on excursions.  Recent reservations for Hideway Beach day pass in August 2024 are:  $105.98 plus tax for $116.56 and week later $123.98 plus tax for $136.36.  Who gets the taxes?  Bahama Government?

Wondering the same along with the fluctuating prices as it is $123.98 + 12.38 tax = 136.36 for my May 2024 sailing.

44 minutes ago, hlfrps said:

TAXES ON THE RESERVATION

Bahamas VAT tax of 10%, I believe.

Edited by GimmeOcean

40 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

According to New York Times 1982 listing of cruises, Song of Norway capacity was 1,040 and price range was $995-1835 for a 7 night out of Miami.  Which would be about $3k-6k today. Much smaller passenger pool and I would assume the dining room had a much larger portion of the budget.

1981 - 7 night New York to Bermuda. From $785 to $2,345/pp. Holland America Cruises VEENDAM Capacity 713 passengers, outdoor pool, Continental cuisine, no-tipping-required policy.

They gave us a complete passenger manifest when we boarded, and had a contest that ran the entire cruise to use that to find the “secret” cruisers. The prize was a bottle of champagne

Edited by orville99