Boarding for Four Star Mariners

RiciRicardo

6 minutes ago, Hobar said:

You misunderstood. I asked why a passenger was looking at other passengers’ boarding passes, not what is needed to enter the terminal. But since you mentioned that, another cruise line with which I travel has us check in with our app, and alternatively allows us to download the boarding pass into our iPhone wallet (same as airlines). Does HAL do that as well or does HAL still require paper boarding passes?  

Your boarding pass is also in the navigator app.  You can also take a pic of your entire boarding pass and use that but make sure the bar code shows. 

Edited by lais
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

You misunderstood. I asked why a passenger was looking at other passengers’ boarding passes, not what is needed to enter the terminal. But since you mentioned that, another cruise line with which I travel has us check in with our app, and alternatively allows us to download the boarding pass into our iPhone wallet (same as airlines). Does HAL do that as well or does HAL still require paper boarding passes?  

The person who looks at your boarding pass is a port employee.  I print my boarding pass because it is easier for me to show the reps that I am entitled to priority boarding.  I may go through the entire boarding process and for some reason find the need to explain to staff that if the ship has begun boarding, I am entitled to board as a priority (4*) cruiser.  You can have everything on your phone if you want but for me the printed boarding pass is my handy backup documentation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

HAL does not require paper boarding passes - you can use the e-pass from the Navigator App. 

• Thanks 1

You may well be 4* and expecting "priority" boarding; however, on some days there may be 150 5* Mariners ahead of you.

That may be the message that the port employee is trying to relate to you.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paper passes are not required; however, as I stated previously.....it is very difficult to ascertain your boarding status when viewed on your phone.

If you want to receive a very quick and easy boarding experience a paper pass is a better option for the port workers to see 4*s or 5*s.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

You may well be 4* and expecting "priority" boarding; however, on some days there may be 150 5* Mariners ahead of you.

That may be the message that the port employee is trying to relate to you.

David

5 stars don't get to board in front of 4 stars. They board at the same time. Along with CO, Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle  Suite(s).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

5 stars don't get to board in front of 4 stars. They board at the same time. Along with CO, Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle  Suite(s).

I have experienced actually getting onboard ship where 5 Stars were let on before 4 Stars.  Not the norm, but it does happen.  I think it depends on the HAL agent.

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I have just printed boarding passes for DH and I (today).

We also have "to be assigned" under time.

Also, I remember reading that the pass is supposed to have a bar code.  I don't see one. ???

You will get a barcode as you get closer to sail date. The boarding pass w/o bar code is a temporary pass. You will also see the barcode on the electronic boarding pass in the Navigator App. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We board the Koingsdam on November 4th in San Diego. We have CO and our boarding pass says "Priority Boarding Pass" but under time it says "To Be Assigned". Is this normal for CO priority?

image.png.a8eb43f9363a2e506195ebb50c9afb65.png

Terry, when we were on the Westerdam a few weeks ago it was the same since we were in a Neptune Suite but those in Neptune, Club  Orange and 4 and 5 star still had priority and could arrive prior to time assigned. 

It is possible that San Diego may do it differently than Seattle.

But word of warning I had printed out the Boarding pass Early when it was available ( about 3 weeks before the cruise) and took that with me, only to find out that unless the Boarding Pass has the Bar Codes on it, they consider it worthless and luckily I could pull up Boarding Passes on the Navigator App with the Bar Codes. From talking to people in line with us it seems that the boarding pass you should print becomes available just a few days prior to the cruise. Most likely the same time that the Boarding Pass Box appears on the Navigator app. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

But word of warning I had printed out the Boarding pass Early when it was available ( about 3 weeks before the cruise) and took that with me, only to find out that unless the Boarding Pass has the Bar Codes on it, they consider it worthless and luckily I could pull up Boarding Passes on the Navigator App with the Bar Codes. From talking to people in line with us it seems that the boarding pass you should print becomes available just a few days prior to the cruise. Most likely the same time that the Boarding Pass Box appears on the Navigator app. 

What would have happened, I wonder, if you didn't have loaded the Navigator App and only had the Early version of the Boarding Pass?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mafig said:

What would have happened, I wonder, if you didn't have loaded the Navigator App and only had the Early version of the Boarding Pass?

That actually is a good question. I was actually a bit frustrated when they said this and of course the Navigator App was not coming up quickly. It was an older gentleman that got rather snippy with me. Said that was not going to work and I could not go through Security without the Bar Code. I should have said what if I cannot find it. He kept repeating we cannot let you in without the bar code to scan.

I agree that I am sure there have got to be people that printed the Boarding Pass Early and did not have a smart phone. I am sure they pull them aside and possibly have someone else assist them. Or at least I hope that is what they do. 

I know from that little episode I will not print my Board Pass till I see the Bar Code on it 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

That actually is a good question. I was actually a bit frustrated when they said this and of course the Navigator App was not coming up quickly. It was an older gentleman that got rather snippy with me. Said that was not going to work and I could not go through Security without the Bar Code. I should have said what if I cannot find it. He kept repeating we cannot let you in without the bar code to scan.

I agree that I am sure there have got to be people that printed the Boarding Pass Early and did not have a smart phone. I am sure they pull them aside and possibly have someone else assist them. Or at least I hope that is what they do. 

I know from that little episode I will not print my Board Pass till I see the Bar Code on it 😁

Well, you are a very experienced cruiser and if you made this "mistake" I am sure other did also.

BTW we met you many years ago on a cruise on Eurodam.  There was a young girl (about 20) who had organized a chocolate-lovers party.  Her name here was "Purple Norway";.  Do you know what happened to  her?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mafig said:

Well, you are a very experienced cruiser and if you made this "mistake" I am sure other did also.

BTW we met you many years ago on a cruise on Eurodam.  There was a young girl (about 20) who had organized a chocolate-lovers party.  Her name here was "Purple Norway";.  Do you know what happened to  her?

Yes, I remember you and that cruise, have not seen Purple Norway since that cruise.

We have always had a good time on the Eurodam.

Interesting discussion.  I have found since the pandemic break that I have forgotten much and need to research more and more.  Under the Marnier Society Benefits it states:

"Priority check-in, tendering and disembarkation"

It doesn't mention boarding at all. 

Under the FAQs it states:

How does Priority Check In Work?

Look for special signage at each cruise terminal identifying the 4 and 5-Star priority check-in line. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html

Is priority boarding available for 4* and 5*?  As I view check-in and boarding as very separate events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Terry, when we were on the Westerdam a few weeks ago it was the same since we were in a Neptune Suite but those in Neptune, Club  Orange and 4 and 5 star still had priority and could arrive prior to time assigned. 

It is possible that San Diego may do it differently than Seattle.

Adding to this is that HAL tends to prompt you to complete your check in early and if you do, you won't get your boarding pass with the bar code. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Interesting discussion.  I have found since the pandemic break that I have forgotten much and need to research more and more.  Under the Marnier Society Benefits it states:

"Priority check-in, tendering and disembarkation"

It doesn't mention boarding at all. 

Under the FAQs it states:

How does Priority Check In Work?

Look for special signage at each cruise terminal identifying the 4 and 5-Star priority check-in line. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html

Is priority boarding available for 4* and 5*?  As I view check-in and boarding as very separate events.

Actually this is correct, I found that out last year in Amsterdam. There was a seperate check in for 4 and 5 Star which we went to. Then was given a card with boarding group 12. I asked should we not be in an earlier group or priority and they told me No Only Neptune, Pinnacle Suites and Club Orange. So yes we get special check in but not boarding. So it ends up depending on when how early you get to the pier.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, DAllenTCY said:

Noordam numbers for Sunday:

A - 11:00AM    135

B - 11:20AM    125
C - 11:40AM    123
D - 12:00PM    140
E - 12:20PM    147
F - 12:40PM    119
G - 01:00PM    123
H - 01:20PM    117

I  - 01:40PM    117
J - 02:00PM    105
K - 02:20PM    121
L - 02:40PM    108
M - 03:00PM    110
N - 03:20PM    118
O - 03:40PM    28

Embarking 1,564 guests.

No Covid questions...no VeriFly....no worries!

276 4&5 Star Mariners

18  Club Orange

David

THANK YOU for additional info

Will inquire at tonight's rep meeting to verify

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

Adding to this is that HAL tends to prompt you to complete your check in early and if you do, you won't get your boarding pass with the bar code. 

You can complete your check in early. Even print the early version of the boarding pass if you want to, for some reason - it won’t keep you from later getting a final boarding pass with a bar code. You just need to keep checking “boarding passes.” One day, a week or two before sailing, the bar code just shows up, and then you print it. Or just use the app with the bar code at the pier.

There’s even fine print on the lower part of the boarding pass page advising that the bar code will not appear until closer to sailing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I have experienced actually getting onboard ship where 5 Stars were let on before 4 Stars.  Not the norm, but it does happen.  I think it depends on the HAL agent.

I think it depends on the port employee and their understanding of the HAL boarding process.

7 hours ago, mafig said:

It happened to us.  The HAL agent at the desk who looks at your boarding pass can print one with the bar code on it.  The boarding process has been simplified recently and the passengers don’t always keep up with the changes.  I have also heard of passengers being sent to another location to have the bar code printed.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, DAllenTCY said:

Noordam numbers for Sunday:

A - 11:00AM    135

B - 11:20AM    125
C - 11:40AM    123
D - 12:00PM    140
E - 12:20PM    147
F - 12:40PM    119
G - 01:00PM    123
H - 01:20PM    117

I  - 01:40PM    117
J - 02:00PM    105
K - 02:20PM    121
L - 02:40PM    108
M - 03:00PM    110
N - 03:20PM    118
O - 03:40PM    28

Embarking 1,564 guests.

No Covid questions...no VeriFly....no worries!

276 4&5 Star Mariners

18  Club Orange

David

Thanks for the numbers.  When we go on Alaska or other 7 day cruises (not the one starting Oct. 1) we feel like old timers with our 5 stars and almost 700 days on HAL.  Then we go on our preferred long cruises and find ourselves down the ladder as those with 1000's of days and platinum medals are introduced.  Just shows how loyal we Hal travelers are.  If the last 7 days are any indication, the next 48 should be great.  Looking forward to it and meeting new friends.

• Like 3