Sail Away: What Happens?

GMIAC

There's often a pool deck party, with wait staff circulating with champagne, perhaps a couple of specialty cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres. The band is playing, and there are often officers in uniform mingling with the guests.

Sail Away during my only (pre Covid) Regent cruise was as poster cwn described.  Old Crystal was very well known for exciting, scrumptious, sail aways, and I also had nice experiences in Silversea and Seabourn.  

Edited by Camillus112

Again pretty low key.

Didn’t see any sail away events in August…first Regent cruise… however we mostly left port when we were either enjoying pre dinner drinks or actually eating. Worth looking at your itinerary to see what time the ship leaves each port. On the Mariner  Compass Rose had some great tables by the windows to enable people to watch as the ship left Port. 
On many cruises we have  enjoyed  watching from our Balcony with a drink and some nibbles. Both easily ordered from Room service.

5 hours ago, RELS said:

There's often a pool deck party, with wait staff circulating with champagne, perhaps a couple of specialty cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres. The band is playing, and there are often officers in uniform mingling with the guests.

I’m going to disagree a little bit.  We’ve never been on a Grand or World cruise but have had some spectacular sail aways.  I think depends on location and weather.  Our sail aways from NYC, Vancouver, Sydney, and San Francisco have been wonderful (great weather).  Port intensive you stop paying as much attention. 

5 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I’m going to disagree a little bit.  We’ve never been on a Grand or World cruise but have had some spectacular sail aways.  I think depends on location and weather.  Our sail aways from NYC, Vancouver, Sydney, and San Francisco have been wonderful (great weather).  Port intensive you stop paying as much attention. 

With bar staff offering drinks, etc. 

58 minutes ago, Brownie54 said:

It depends on your Cruise Director! He/She organizes that. We’ve been on some fabulous (party!) sail aways, and others not so much. Unfortunately, sometimes, weather dependent.
Nevertheless, you will have a great time!

If weather is good…in my opinion there should be a “sail away” at beginning of cruise.  And no I’m not new to Regent.  

19 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Thanks, all! I didn't know if they had anything special for these days.

There is a pre-dinner party in one of the lounges for all those "new to Regent" passengers.  After dinner, the show in the Constellation Theatre is an introduction to all the performers on the ship.  Each group does a short song/act.  

Block Party!!!

Usually on one of the first nights (but not the first night), at 6PM, captain hits the gong and guests are invited to go out into the hall with glass in hand.  The suite attendants are there with wine and appetizers.  You get to meet your neighbors and sometime during the party, captain, the general manager, the cruise director with a camera person runs by to say hello.  The next morning during the Morning Show, the CD will show the video.  It's a good way to meet your neighbors.

Anyone think there will be a bigger send off for the inaugural departure of the Grandeur in November? Every port we will be going to will be the first for the ship, so I would expect local dignitaries to be there for that also, wouldn't you? I haven't heard anything and I'm on that cruise! So excited!

They were cancelled along with table sharing , group activities, and basically all other activities that involved senior staff following cruise resumption after Covid restart. Cruises were very different than what prior Regent cruises had been. Supply chain issues affected food and beverage and probably still is to a lesser extent. Hopefully that’s all behind us and won’t return.

We were on Splendor in April of this year and there was indeed a Block Party. However, hubby refused point blank to join in so we were confined to our suite until it was 'safe' to venture out. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Huggsy said:

We were on Splendor in April of this year and there was indeed a Block Party. However, hubby refused point blank to join in so we were confined to our suite until it was 'safe' to venture out. 😄

I would gone without him😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We think block parties are fun. We meet our neighbors up and down the hall and learn a little about them. Then we can say hello as we see them throughout the cruise. If you are traveling with others and don’t care about meeting new people or are not the outgoing sort, I can understand why you might not enjoy them. 

54 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

We think block parties are fun. We meet our neighbors up and down the hall and learn a little about them. Then we can say hello as we see them throughout the cruise. If you are traveling with others and don’t care about meeting new people or are not the outgoing sort, I can understand why you might not enjoy them. 

I was disappointed when CD Handre brought this idea from Regent to Seabourn when he joined. I have tried it a few times but maybe because we are from Australia I find the chatter mainly about places in the USA people where people live and visit, forced conversation. So we avoid it and will do so on Regent. Luckily we dine late so are occupied getting ready in our suite when it occurs.