New/Old Topic - TKG

Mahogany

I called Seabourn today to ask why it was not possible to book TK Grill online or through a phone call. While onboard Ovation in April, I booked Encore for 25 days next spring. When I returned home I tried to book dinner rez, was told "unavailable at this time", called and asked if there was a new venue. "oh no!" was the answer, just book when onboard. I know all this, just called today to see if I got a different answer. Nope.

I know we've discussed this before but am just waiting for the first passenger to mention construction, or the appearance of a new theme in that location.

So, just wondering if anyone onboard now has any news. I for one am ready for something else without a "restaurant dictator" in charge.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mahogany said:

a "restaurant dictator" in charge.

I love this description - absolutely appropriate and I fully agree. Yes, an old topic, but one on which SB seems oblivious to the views of their "bread and butter" - regular cruisers.

Not being able to book online is inexcusable - and never any truthful explanation? We have 3 cruise bookings but none allow us to book TK - though it is not our favourite.

We have previously heard from a poster that the TK contract expires in 2025 (I think it was 2025 but the earlier the better) - and I hope it is replaced with the expertise already onboard. Many of us are already booking cruises in 2025, so how about some news from SB on what we will find onboard?

• Like 1

We just disembarked the Encore on Sunday. Had a marvellous cruise. Let down by TK Grill service and same old, same old food in there. We had a second reservation which we cancelled. The main restaurant was far superior, as was the sushi restaurant. I really hope they get rid of Keller and allow the chefs on board to show their skills and also use that wonderful outdoor dining space at the back that Keller won’t allow to be used. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have a cruise Christmas/New Year. Was able to book TKG in Dec 2023 but not in Jan 2024 for the same cruise. That would suggest it is a date issue, maybe nothing has been loaded beyond 2023.

I agree with previous poster we enjoy TKG particularly on smaller ships. It is an opportunity to enjoy a world renowned chef without travelling to the US. When I looked at the prices in his land based restaurants then it is good value. 

The TK themed nights in the Colonnade always seem to book out so that would suggest that something is right. I suggest that any restaurant is going to struggle to be to the taste of everybody all of the time. Also it might suffer from familiarity. Be careful what you wish for as posters might not like the alternative.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nops said:

We have a cruise Christmas/New Year. Was able to book TKG in Dec 2023 but not in Jan 2024 for the same cruise. That would suggest it is a date issue, maybe nothing has been loaded beyond 2023.--------

I Be careful what you wish for as posters might not like the alternative.

Our next cruise is in just over 6 weeks and have never been able to book. Same for our 2 2024 cruises.

In our view anything would be better than the repetitive menu, poor service, and inflexible and superior attitude of TK. We only try it in hope it has changed! Many good suggestion made here on CC and in the past varied alternatives

36 minutes ago, caviarforme said:

Our next cruise is in just over 6 weeks and have never been able to book. Same for our 2 2024 cruises.

In our view anything would be better than the repetitive menu, poor service, and inflexible and superior attitude of TK. We only try it in hope it has changed! Many good suggestion made here on CC and in the past varied alternatives

Agree!

18 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@caviarforme  I couldn't book on source either, however, I went into itinerary and the day I wanted to book and there was an option there to make a reservation. Try that to see if it works for you

I tried your advice on both of our upcoming sailings and it did not work. On the first sailing, our names appeared but there was no availability.  On our second sailing, there was no link at present time. Thanks anyway!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I’ve been trying for a couple months to book our reservations on 4/18/24 sailing. Never are they available…. Sounds like it’s not just us, but it’s still frustrating 

I have had same problem for Jan 24 cruise. Called Seabourn today and was told that a new system was being loaded, and in the meantime no one would be able to book TK ( including Seabourn reps). She said they had not been given a date when the new system would be up and running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Mahogony for bringing this up. Than you Techno123 for your suggestion which I just tried. Unfortunately I was within 15 days so would not work anyway. Be interested to see if someone further out was successful with your program. 

11 minutes ago, braidmacd said:

Thank you Mahogony for bringing this up. Than you Techno123 for your suggestion which I just tried. Unfortunately I was within 15 days so would not work anyway. Be interested to see if someone further out was successful with your program. 

11 minutes ago, braidmacd said:

I tried to book through Itinerary and didn’t work for me. Have mid-Jan cruise.

Hi All: We just got home from 2 weeks onboard the Encore. For a first time, we "never" ate at the MDR for the entire cruise. In the 2 weeks, we had dinner twice at TKG, 2 times in Earth & Ocean, 1 time in Sushi (wife doesn't go for Sushi, so I had to do solely at the counter area) and the rest of the trip at the various themed nights in the Colonnade. We had great service in all the venues, except E&O was very slow. Perhaps being a small space and close to the kitchen area, the Colonnade food was hot, varied and with very attentive service, which is why the MDR didn't jump out at us. Plus, it did have a more relaxed feel, which matched the Greece/Turkey itinerary. Overall, it was probably the best dinner experience of all of short number of SB cruises. Best, jdk

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, lincslady said:

And for people who can't stand buffets, dinner is waiter served.  In fact, you can have the other meals pretty well waiter served if you want to.

Correct - it was sit-down/waiter served dinners for most of the nights in the Colonnade. TBH, the portion sizes and fewer courses in the Colonnade (vs. MDR) helped against the tendency to over-indulge (desserts are still a problem). Only a couple (i.e. Indian) of nights were buffet style. Of course, each night is different.

Best, jdk

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I do wish that Colonnade was not self serve during the day, or at anytime. It we pretty surprising to me that it was. 

You can get table service as has been said before. My husband always orders fish of the day and I have been known to order a minute steak from there.

Some people like buffet so these people need to be catered for as well. Otherwise where do you suggest they eat?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

You can get table service as has been said before. My husband always orders fish of the day and I have been known to order a minute steak from there.

Some people like buffet so these people need to be catered for as well. Otherwise where do you suggest they eat?

Yes, table service at night. I was thinking it would be nice if the buffet was served by crew members rather than all the hands touching the same serving utensils over and over….If that works for buffet fans, great. I wasn’t suggesting that buffet be discontinued. I apologize if that was misinterpreted. 

I do like using the buffet for breakfast starters - choose my own yogurt, berries, nuts etc., having already  ordered pancakes or eggs benedict to be served.  Ditto lunch, cold collation followed by a look at the desserts.    You are sure to get exactly how much of what you want that way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Yes, table service at night. I was thinking it would be nice if the buffet was served by crew members rather than all the hands touching the same serving utensils over and over….If that works for buffet fans, great. I wasn’t suggesting that buffet be discontinued. I apologize if that was misinterpreted. 

No worries. I did misinterpret to think no buffet instead of not self serve. 

I do agree that some people's hygiene can be of concern but I find it interesting that even Oceania which is served by crew in their buffet still has occasional outbreaks of Norovirus.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

I believe that there will likely always be outbreaks of viruses. It just seems to be a good way to minimize spreading of germs. I don’t believe that it is intentional at all by those in buffets, but the fewer hands on an item the less chance. Those tongs, spoons, etc get a lot of handling by a lot of different people during a given meal. 

• Like 1