clothing and shoes questions

Jetswdo

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

If you made that statement 20 years ago I would have agreed with you, but not any longer. Sneakers are acceptable footwear the world over. 

Just got back from Germany, wearing jeans and NB running shoes everywhere. Hardly alone, and most people talked to me in German. Twenty years ago that look would have everyone starting in English. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have worn that look to avoid looking like an American.

Back to the OP, I don't recall anything in the dress suggestions that say anything about sneakers. And it's not like you're ever going to see the people you're dining with again in your life anyway! And if you do and they care about sneakers, do you really want to see them again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

If you made that statement 20 years ago I would have agreed with you, but not any longer. Sneakers are acceptable footwear the world over. 

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.  

You want dressy walking shoes?  Buy Hushpuppies.  It’s what I do.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Just got back from Germany, wearing jeans and NB running shoes everywhere. Hardly alone, and most people talked to me in German. Twenty years ago that look would have everyone starting in English. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have worn that look to avoid looking like an American.

I've been traveling around the World since the early '80s and extensively in Europe. Before globalization footwear was quite country/region based. Spain, with it's history in leather goods, had very Spanish looking looking footwear all high quality in construction. Globalization has eradicated those footwear and clothing boundaries. Not only athletic wear companies such as Nike but with H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, etc fashion from global companies, accelerated by social media which is also global, has made consumerism flourish without boundaries. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

It's been 4 years since my husband and myself have been on a cruise- Last one was Celebrity Solstice- Alaska---

My husband wants to know if he is "stuck" having to pack his brown "good" shoes and black socks to wear at night in the restaurants, including Blu (we are in Aqua class) or can he just wear his nice white tennis shoes.  He wears  slacks at night and collared polo shirt.  I want to know if he should have a blazer  to wear at Murano's which I remember as being a bit dressier than the other restaurants. This is for a Mexico Thanksgiving cruise out of San Pedro. Anyway, I told him I will ask on Celebrity forum. Thanks, Anita

I do not get why an adult would have a problem dressing?  Your DH should invest in a pair of light loafer shoes-called drivers.  They are even more comfortable then sneakers.  He should bring a couple of pairs of pants also.  I understand many people no longer fit into their old clothes due to the covid( "15 +) - but if you shop smart- you can purchase for  a small price. Pants can be very light weight and comfortable.  Enjoy your cruise.  Flip flops are dangerous, and very bad for your feet- leave them home.  I fell on a cruise ship years ago and broke my foot.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Ninja Cruising™ dress code.

Expandable waistline shorts, comfort fit t-shirt, and sandals/flip-flops/crocs by day.

Same at night.

OVC Chic Night - change of t-shirt from daytime.

Job done 👍

You wear shorts to the MDR for dinner on a Celebrity cruise? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

Expandable waistline shorts, comfort fit t-shirt, and sandals/flip-flops/crocs by day.

Same at night.

Job done 👍

I didn't think Ninga cruisers ate in Murano, which was the actual question, not the OVC.

my wife and i dress nicely every night to go to dinner in the mdr or specialty restaurants..For us it is not to please others, it is a matter of pride in our appearance and the way we were raised.. We dont do the formal stuff like we did years ago, but nice silk slacks and shirts with drivers for me and nice tops and skirt or slacks for her..Sport coat for special nights...p.s. our local orthopedic surgeon whose specialty is feet is urging everyone to wear flip flops all of the time so that he can retire earlier from all of the surgeries that he will have to perform....just sayin'

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

It's been 4 years since my husband and myself have been on a cruise- Last one was Celebrity Solstice- Alaska---

My husband wants to know if he is "stuck" having to pack his brown "good" shoes and black socks to wear at night in the restaurants, including Blu (we are in Aqua class) or can he just wear his nice white tennis shoes.  He wears  slacks at night and collared polo shirt.  I want to know if he should have a blazer  to wear at Murano's which I remember as being a bit dressier than the other restaurants. This is for a Mexico Thanksgiving cruise out of San Pedro. Anyway, I told him I will ask on Celebrity forum. Thanks, Anita

He can wear any kind of closed toe shoes he wants, anywhere on the ship on any night. And depending on the style, many open toed shoes also. 

He only needs a blazer for Murano if you want him to need a blazer. 😉

DW and I wear ONLY sandals.  Don't even own a pair of closed toed shoes.

For nice evening wear we wear black or dark brown Birkenstocks and socks of the same color.

Did a gala event at the Arizona Theatre Company last night.  A black tie affair.  Nobody noticed our sandals.

• Haha 2

I take three pair of shoes:

Daily wear (flight, hotel, cruise ship) are my Hey Dude's, with shorts or dockers, with and without socks. 

Excursion and walking track -- New Balance tennis shoes

Dinner - Rockport Oxfords.

I use the provided slippers for wear in the room.

3 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Same at night.

Job done 👍

but they plan to dine in restaurants..not the buffet or their balc.. they are apparently not your style cruiser!

DaKahuna has a good plan..!

27 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

DW and I wear ONLY sandals.  Don't even own a pair of closed toed shoes.

For nice evening wear we wear black or dark brown Birkenstocks and socks of the same color.

Did a gala event at the Arizona Theatre Company last night.  A black tie affair.  Nobody noticed our sandals.

You mean no one said anything.  😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

OK-- I'll have have him wear his brown shoes after all.  He was planning on bringing an extra pair of clean white sneakers for at night, besides wearing his day time New Balance, like myself and the person who mentioned that.  I'll tell him to pack them for "just in case"--- fortunately we live near the port so this is the first cruise not involving airlines, so weight of suitcase not an issue.  After this cruise, we will both have an understanding of what the latest  "cruise wear" is on Celerity.  Thanks for all the responses.  Anita

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Why the insult.  Not what I said.

Black slacks, black leather Birkenstocks and matching black socks.  They blend together and unless someone got down on the floor they could not tell.

I just told you that someone noticed.  But I don’t make the rules on Celebrity.  They do.  You may not notice what people wear.  Some people do.  

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2