LIVE from Mariner Bermuda & Perfect Day, Oct 13, 2023

Throughout the years I've read so many LIVE reviews while I'm waiting for my next cruise, and I thought it would be fun to give it a go and pay it forward to all those who have brightened my day through their musings. 

This will be cruise #12 for us and we've sailed many itineraries more than once but this will be our first visit to Bermuda and our first visit to Perfect Day since the revamp. I visited Coco Cay back in 2005 and loved it then, I'm very excited to see what is in store for us with all the updates. After reading several reviews on these boards our plan is to visit Horseshoe Bay while in Bermuda and head to South Beach in CocoCay. Nassau will be a coin flip - we may head to Margaritaville to enjoy the beach/amenities or stay on the ship, we'll see. 

image.png.f12687bd7139e2f9304207520469e6a5.png

Like many of you sailing in hurricane season, I've been watching the Atlantic like a hawk. For now, the itinerary weather looks good! The flight? Not so much!

We'll be flying out of Dallas on SW early Thursday morning with a 10:10 am arrival into Orlando. It looks like there's a heck of a storm system brewing so here's hoping everything goes as planned, but it is in these moments that solidify why we always fly out the day before.

image.png.aad39a1856dcee021e05644766b855b3.png

For the most part, we have always cruised from a port that was close to the airport and thus used a ride-share company, but with the airport being a bit of a trek to Port Canaveral, we opted for a shuttle service so we could guarantee pricing and reservations. After some more research (I love the boards for this reason!) I booked our transportation with Cruise Control. It was $112/roundtrip (for 2) to bring us from the airport to our hotel, and from the cruise port back to the airport. There were several times to choose from and these are true shuttles v. busses so the time waiting for the vehicle to fill should be minimal.  

SpringHill Suites Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach is our hotel of choice and what sealed the deal for me was that they are newer, all-suite, and have a bar and light-fare offering in the hotel itself. 

image.thumb.png.6554aad8c5b1f1c81592111eee1effb0.png

The plan is to go to dinner at Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar and while the weather is looking to be wet and stormy, we won't care: we're not at work, not at home, and there will be drinks 😁

As for the rest of my day today, I woke up like a kid at Christmas at 4 a.m. and my "to-do list" started firing off in my brain, so I'm trying to finish up some work (vacation responder is READY to fire) and it'll be a day of packing, a manicure, and a spray tan because I'm as Nordic as they come. What does DH have to do to prepare? Just remember to pack shirts unlike that one cruise we found ourselves in Fort Lauderdale and he had packed none. While there happened to be a mall close by, saving the day, I don't know we'd have the same luck in Cocoa Beach. While I love the RCI brand, I don't think he needs to be a walking logo for them on the cruise. Yes, I'll be checking his luggage  😜

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:
Throughout the years I've read so many LIVE reviews while I'm waiting for my next cruise, and I thought it would be fun to give it a go and pay it forward to all those who have brightened my day through their musings. 

This will be cruise #12 for us and we've sailed many itineraries more than once but this will be our first visit to Bermuda and our first visit to Perfect Day since the revamp. I visited Coco Cay back in 2005 and loved it then, I'm very excited to see what is in store for us with all the updates. After reading several reviews on these boards our plan is to visit Horseshoe Bay while in Bermuda and head to South Beach in CocoCay. Nassau will be a coin flip - we may head to Margaritaville to enjoy the beach/amenities or stay on the ship, we'll see. 

image.png.f12687bd7139e2f9304207520469e6a5.png

Like many of you sailing in hurricane season, I've been watching the Atlantic like a hawk. For now, the itinerary weather looks good! The flight? Not so much!

We'll be flying out of Dallas on SW early Thursday morning with a 10:10 am arrival into Orlando. It looks like there's a heck of a storm system brewing so here's hoping everything goes as planned, but it is in these moments that solidify why we always fly out the day before.

image.png.aad39a1856dcee021e05644766b855b3.png

For the most part, we have always cruised from a port that was close to the airport and thus used a ride-share company, but with the airport being a bit of a trek to Port Canaveral, we opted for a shuttle service so we could guarantee pricing and reservations. After some more research (I love the boards for this reason!) I booked our transportation with Cruise Control. It was $112/roundtrip (for 2) to bring us from the airport to our hotel, and from the cruise port back to the airport. There were several times to choose from and these are true shuttles v. busses so the time waiting for the vehicle to fill should be minimal.  

SpringHill Suites Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach is our hotel of choice and what sealed the deal for me was that they are newer, all-suite, and have a bar and light-fare offering in the hotel itself. 

image.thumb.png.6554aad8c5b1f1c81592111eee1effb0.png

The plan is to go to dinner at Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar and while the weather is looking to be wet and stormy, we won't care: we're not at work, not at home, and there will be drinks 😁

As for the rest of my day today, I woke up like a kid at Christmas at 4 a.m. and my "to-do list" started firing off in my brain, so I'm trying to finish up some work (vacation responder is READY to fire) and it'll be a day of packing, a manicure, and a spray tan because I'm as Nordic as they come. What does DH have to do to prepare? Just remember to pack shirts unlike that one cruise we found ourselves in Fort Lauderdale and he had packed none. While there happened to be a mall close by, saving the day, I don't know we'd have the same luck in Cocoa Beach. While I love the RCI brand, I don't think he needs to be a walking logo for them on the cruise. Yes, I'll be checking his luggage  😜

We're absolutely jealous of you.  We've only been to Bermuda once and loved it.  We want to go back again. Our one cruise there included a Port of Call to Boston and that was something special for me, I love the history of that area.  We haven't seen that itinerary in a long time, I'd love to do it again but I'd like to leave from a Florida port, not Cape Liberty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've asked my TA to watch for a cruise out of PC to Bermuda. I also have never been. 

Adventure is doing one next August and one next September out of PC.

We are on Friday’s Bermuda cruise as well - 2nd leg of a Mariner B2B.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, orville99 said:

8/16/24 and 9/13/24 8-night to Bermuda, Nassau, and Coco Cay.

But I'm not moving to PC until sept or oct 2024 at the earliest and have 8 day perfect day to perfect cay booked out of Galveston. At the time a 8 day to coco cay out of Galveston was a huge special deal. Prices for some of these was nuts, as in higher than wonder. Even oct 2024 my inside balc was showing over $1700 pp so over 3k. As I'll be moving I'm not sure I can keep this oct cruise out of texas .. next oct 2024 is far away and a big move to get thru. Selling a house, lots. Need to keep a texas address for a few things next year to come, cant move earlier.

There are none listed to Bermuda out of PC after I move to PC so I'll be watching when the new batch come out. I did grab a southern april 2025 and a eastern dec 2024 with some other new ports for me .. but not bermuda.

• Like 1

Looking forward to following along! Love Bermuda and Cruising so a match made in heaven in my mind.  That kid at Christmas feeling waiting for a cruise is an awesome/special feeling that is amazing that we still get to experience! Like waiting for that Red Rider BB Gun... that sounds like a drink recipe.. I'll take a Red Rider BB Gun. 🍹

Safe Travels tomorrow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

But I'm not moving to PC until sept or oct 2024 at the earliest and have 8 day perfect day to perfect cay booked out of Galveston. At the time a 8 day to coco cay out of Galveston was a huge special deal. Prices for some of these was nuts, as in higher than wonder. Even oct 2024 my inside balc was showing over $1700 pp so over 3k. As I'll be moving I'm not sure I can keep this oct cruise out of texas .. next oct 2024 is far away and a big move to get thru. Selling a house, lots. Need to keep a texas address for a few things next year to come, cant move earlier.

There are none listed to Bermuda out of PC after I move to PC so I'll be watching when the new batch come out. I did grab a southern april 2025 and an eastern dec 2024 with some other new ports for me .. but not bermuda.

We have a southern out of pc in April 2025 as well - love that itinerary.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

Okay folks, bags are packed, DH has shirts, alarm is set for 4am, and my skin is currently marinating in whatever the "medium" spray tan will end up looking like on me.

Now you know I have to introduce you to the furbaby because I'm already missing him. This is Jack and he is our 3-year-old pandemic puppy (he's still a puppy because I say-so 😜). In April of 2020, he was the last of a litter of Havanese puppies and I fell in love with him as soon as I saw his picture. He traveled all the way from a ranch in northern Nebraska via a pet courier and he's been attached to my side ever since! Havanese are such a sweet breed, very loyal and loving: you are their entire world... (DH says he's co-dependent but whatever, he's so cute!)

image.thumb.jpeg.a0aa725849e7bc57f52c4cb47dfd8c3e.jpeg

He is my little buddy and he does NOT like it when mama leaves. He has taken out about half a dozen items in protest...

image.thumb.jpeg.04676884ca45de8c7a348c8cc9290179.jpeg

Happier days for Jack...

image.thumb.jpeg.8774640cb9dc2f0c9be052bd3579f04a.jpeg

I keep checking on the weather like a crazy person as if it'll change what will be. BUT, at the moment, it looks like the weather pattern and our arrival time just might work out so long as the flight path there is also okay. Earlier we had an 85% chance for storms upon arrival, now they're at 35%.

Goodnight, more to come tomorrow!
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I’ll be joining you on this cruise and will look forward to your review.  
m

We are on this cruise as well!  Leaving this afternoon for the hotel in PC.  We've been on Mariner a few times now, but never to Bermuda.

• Like 2

No weather delay, but delayed boarding by 30 minutes because it's the senior pilot's first flight so they needed extra time to do checks... take your time, sir! We are in row 1 with that little bit of extra leg room and a window seat for me 😎

Good news is that the weather looks relatively clear for our flight path so hopefully it's a smooth flight.

Screenshot_20231012_054450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9c02879ca121d646ae5b72aa38e19be9.jpg

In other news, Jack was sure to do his angry bark as I walked out the door... but we got some cuddles in before hand...

20230723_174702.thumb.jpg.e613394547152b1a12b2c01515dcd737.jpg

See you in Orlando!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GetToLivin said:

Good news is that the weather looks relatively clear for our flight path so hopefully it's a smooth flight.

Pack your patience tomorrow morning going from your hotel to the terminal. SpaceX is launching a Falcon Heavy rocket at 10:19 AM tomorrow from the cape and traffic will be quite congested with onlookers.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Pack your patience tomorrow morning going from your hotel to the terminal. SpaceX is launching a Falcon Heavy rocket at 10:19 AM tomorrow from the cape and traffic will be quite congested with onlookers.

The question is, how often do they actually go off on time?  The perception is, RARELY!  On the other hand, unless they cancel/postpone it the night before or very early the morning of the launch, traffic will still be a problem.  My last cruise from Canaveral had a scheduled launch that was canceled late the night before, many didn't get the word or didn't believe it (eye roll) and the amount of people trying to make U-turns on the causeway was amazing and dangerous.  

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Good to know! We had planned to shuttle over around noon for a 12:30 check in, hopefully things are calmed down by then. Thank you for the info!

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The question is, how often do they actually go off on time?  The perception is, RARELY!  On the other hand, unless they cancel/postpone it the night before or very early the morning of the launch, traffic will still be a problem.  My last cruise from Canaveral had a scheduled launch that was canceled late the night before, many didn't get the word or didn't believe it (eye roll) and the amount of people trying to make U-turns on the causeway was amazing and dangerous.  

SpaceX has a very good track record of getting its rockets up on time - ULA, not so much.  But then SpaceX has launched (on average) two rockets/week all year long, so the odds of seeing one go up is high on any given day of the week from the cape.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Good to know! We had planned to shuttle over around noon for a 12:30 check in, hopefully things are calmed down by then. Thank you for the info!

If it goes up as scheduled, traffic should have eased considerably by the time you are planning to shuttle over. It looks like it is going to be an “instantaneous” lunch window, so if it doesn’t go up at 10:19 tomorrow, it won’t go up before Saturday at 10:24.

• Like 1