Tips - Full Circle?

LA30

It seems to me that the situation with tips on P&O has gone / is going full circle.  Tips used to be 'advised' and envelopes were left in cabins with instructions on how much to give to whom.  Then tips were included (which was much more convenient for a lot of passengers).  Not sure what the crew thought about that as they weren't allowed to talk about it.  Now I find that people are sidling up to waiters with envelopes on the last cruise day, and also leaving something in the room for the cabin steward.  I must say, tips are a concern for me.  Yes, the waiters work hard, but what about the Freedom Dining ones?  What about the chefs?  And who would want to be working in the laundry room or the engine room?  Those guys never see any tips.  Unless P&O really do distribute among the whole crew.  Do others have any thoughts?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LA30 said:

It seems to me that the situation with tips on P&O has gone / is going full circle.  Tips used to be 'advised' and envelopes were left in cabins with instructions on how much to give to whom.  Then tips were included (which was much more convenient for a lot of passengers).  Not sure what the crew thought about that as they weren't allowed to talk about it.  Now I find that people are sidling up to waiters with envelopes on the last cruise day, and also leaving something in the room for the cabin steward.  I must say, tips are a concern for me.  Yes, the waiters work hard, but what about the Freedom Dining ones?  What about the chefs?  And who would want to be working in the laundry room or the engine room?  Those guys never see any tips.  Unless P&O really do distribute among the whole crew.  Do others have any thoughts?

Very simple, either tip or don't. We try to get the same table every night, we  arranged this on our recent. Arvia cruise, so tipped the waiters. We also have our cabin steward some euros. Personal  choice

Don't make a big deal our of it

• Like 5

Tips is a controversial subject and its cultural. Tips have always been for me for service above and beyond not just given for an individual doing their job. I do not like the enforced tips on reciepts. Lots of people on minimum wage across the UK outside of the resturant trade who do not get tips just for doing their jobs. Imagine if a 10% graturity was added to your supermarker shopping bill for the till operator/shelf stacker.

People say its to top up their wages for low wage positions etc, but fail to take into account their outgowings, rent, food, bills etc. 

Thats not what a tip should be used for its to recognise "outstanding service"  as it used to say on envelopes in the rooms etc. 

Why tip a waiter in a restaurant but not tip a supermarket shelf stacker, or a fast food restaurant worker?

At the end of the day its completely the individuals choice and its entirely up to them who and how they tip, but it should not be enforced or expected. IMO

• Like 13

1 hour ago, LA30 said:

Now I find that people are sidling up to waiters with envelopes on the last cruise day, and also leaving something in the room for the cabin steward.

That has been happening ever since tips were included in the cruise fare.

My view is that I pay what is asked of me and what happens after that is of no concern of mine. If somebody goes "over and beyond" they will get something extra.

• Like 7

For the first time since tips were included, we tipped our cabin steward on our last cruise.

It was a longer cruise (30 nights), and from day one Jilbert was a star.  A couple of times on port days we got him a bag of choccies or similar just as a little thank you, and in case he wasn't able to get ashore.  It turned out there was no shore leave for crew whilst we were in the USA.

We also filled out one of those Shine cards for him as well.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Not sure what happens now but many years ago on American ships many people tipped the barman, waiter etc on the first day - tip stood for “to improve performance” so they were then assured excellent service for the whole cruise!  

This is something that unfortunately does happen and seems to be happening now regards bookings for freedom dining on some P&O ships, but I must say on our recent Aurora cruise we all got good treatment with no signs of bribery being involved.  We did leave tips at the end of our cruise, but not of the level that was expected before tips were stopped by P&O, just what we would leave in a hotel on a personal choice basis and only for good service.  

We left something for our excellent cabin steward and also found we could give something to the most senior staff in charge of both the buffet and freedom dining restaurants to be shared between the staff there.  We had found on a previous Aurora cruise (last November), that they were only taking tips for the freedom dining restaurant for named waiters, so we were very happy this time that they now have a sharing system as we do like to leave something for good service, but were served by a lot of different staff.  I hope this is now being done on the other P&O ships, though TBH the service we have had on other ships may not have warranted a tip, since we have found dining on Aurora to be much better and well organised than our other experiences.

Edited by tring

22 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Not sure what happens now but many years ago on American ships many people tipped the barman, waiter etc on the first day - tip stood for “to improve performance” so they were then assured excellent service for the whole cruise!  

If you read any of the American fora you will find that "bribes" are still alive and well!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, david63 said:

If you read any of the American fora you will find that "bribes" are still alive and well!

That doesn’t surprise me as they have a different culture. It would be very rare for me not to reward good service - but it would be after it has been given and not before. But it’s such a very personal choice……

• Like 1

On our recent cruise, I went on an excursion leaving my mother in the cabin. Our steward saw me going out and before he finished he knocked to see if my mother wanted anything, and was most insistent that she was too ring room service if she was hungry before I got back. This was not expected of him and was a considerate gesture, which we thought was nice of him. I did thank him for looking in on her and said it was a pleasure. Nothing was too much trouble for him when asked, and we tip him at the end of our cruise.

• Like 4

Since tips have been included DH has usually given the cabin steward a little extra at the end of the cruise.  One of them told us that they have to hand the extra tips in and then they get them back when it has been checked whether or not the passengers have left the included tips on their account.  If they are found to have not declared the extra tips then their can be terminated.

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Since tips have been included DH has usually given the cabin steward a little extra at the end of the cruise.  One of them told us that they have to hand the extra tips in and then they get them back when it has been checked whether or not the passengers have left the included tips on their account.  If they are found to have not declared the extra tips then their can be terminated.

Not P&O I assume. Some other lines have tips added and you have the option to remove/adjust them.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

There are so many urban myths going round from those who claim first hand knowledge as to what happens to tips, either "official" or in hand, that I would not believe any of them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

That used to happen when tips were automatically added to your on board account. You could ask for them to be removed. Now they are included in the fare and there is no way to claim them back.

• Like 1

I think cabin stewards will start getting tips again as now times are back to normal there's a chance to build rapport again. Good luck to any that get the tips. Hopefully they aren't as important now as all staff are getting paid better rates nowadays?

Elsewhere with freedom dining etc its unlikely you build a rapport with anyone else

However, we tipped 2 staff who served us brilliantly in Epicurean one night just like we would in a normal restaurant at home

I guess anyone sailing on ships with set dining on set tables each night may still build a rapport they want to reward at the end?

Years ago we spent a short break in Bruges, Belgium. The guide book stressed that tips were neither common or expected anywhere.

When we left our table after dinner at the restaurant (excellent meal, paid for at the table, full wait service), we were reaching the coat rack when we heard distressed cries of, "But Messieur. Madame..." and turned to see our waitress pursuing us.

"Aah" she said, as we placed our hands on our coats, "You were getting your wallets".

What could we do? Follow the guide book, not tip,and have the waitress dissolve in tears in front of us?

Or give the tip that was very obviously expected?.

We tipped.

2 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Sounds as though that was a story created by a canny waiter to help increase his tips.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sounds as though that was a story created by a canny waiter to help increase his tips.

Our family used to holiday in Spain and Tenerife with Brian Clough. 

He used to always go to the best German frequented restaurant (where less people would bother him to start with) and then tip really big on arrival and each night and just keep going back there where they would really look after him and ensure some privacy alongside great service every night. Definitely worked for him. They treated him like Royalty.

But if just went in normal restaurants ad hoc it would be chaotic with people wanting photos/autographs etc

Tipping really gives the benefit when it's done in advance for those that can afford it

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I think cabin stewards will start getting tips again as now times are back to normal there's a chance to build rapport again. Good luck to any that get the tips. Hopefully they aren't as important now as all staff are getting paid better rates nowadays?

Elsewhere with freedom dining etc its unlikely you build a rapport with anyone else

However, we tipped 2 staff who served us brilliantly in Epicurean one night just like we would in a normal restaurant at home

I guess anyone sailing on ships with set dining on set tables each night may still build a rapport they want to reward at the end?

Absolutely. I always have fixed dining and on the whole the waiters are efficient, friendly and engage with their tables. Currently on Arcadia, our two are exceptionally good. I always tip them, and the steward. Personal choice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

That is bribery IMO

ps this subject has been debated to death on several occasions

• Like 5

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes, tips standing for to insure promptness, as well as appalling grammar (ensure would be correct), is a backronym - an acronym invented later to fit the initials. Like posh, which is a backronym for port out, starboard home, which was invented long after the word itself was in common usage.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Yes, tips standing for to insure promptness, as well as appalling grammar (ensure would be correct), is a backronym - an acronym invented later to fit the initials. Like posh, which is a backronym for port out, starboard home, which was invented long after the word itself was in common usage.

One one of my early cruises my elderly steward said he was retiring at the end of the cruise. I mentioned this to another steward and he laughed and told me the old man has been retiring at the end of every cruise for years!

• Haha 3