Princess mattresses

kstrittm

19 minutes ago, Napagirl said:

Got off the Crown this morning - another couple traveling with us, we all loved our beds. Caribe deck. I was so relieved after reading about the saggy mattresses! 

Pleasant dreams  Safe travels too!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, lx200gps said:

I'm not really sure the mattresses we had on the Discovery were worn out, the ship is too new and the mattresses felt too hard to be old and worn out. I think they are just cheap, rock hard mattresses, not the famous Princess mattresses. Perhaps they just couldn't get the correct ones when they outfitted the ship, so they had to use whatever they could get and bought them in bulk from the lumber department at Lowes or Home Depot ;o)

We were on Discovery last week and didn’t like the bed as it was hard even with a mattress topper.  And the pillows were hard and too thick with crunchy pillow protectors.  We loved the bed and pillows last year on Regal so, by comparison, what we had on Discovery was a disappointment.

18 hours ago, rj59 said:

I haven't had problems with Discovery mattresses. On the other hand, the floodlights getting up to go to the bathroom in the night  makes me feel like I'm on a prison break. 

That light is so annoying! We used the tiny decorative pillow to block the whole thing each night before bed. Worked a charm.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have always felt that the Princess mattresses were very comfortable, although on our last cruise on the Emerald Princess the mattress did seem a bit too soft for us and I started experiencing some back pain. We were traveling with another couple and they thought their bed was too soft also so they asked their room steward if anything can be done. They were informed that the mattresses can actually be turned over, and have a soft and hard side to them!

I had never realized this before so we requested our room steward to flip ours over to the hard side as the default is soft side up. What is nice, is that because the queen size beds are actually two twin size beds put together, if one couple prefers a softer bed while the other prefers a firmer bed that can be accomplished. 

In the past I suspect our mattresses were hard side up as we didn't notice them being as soft as on the current cruise.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

We have always felt that the Princess mattresses were very comfortable, although on our last cruise on the Emerald Princess the mattress did seem a bit too soft for us and I started experiencing some back pain. We were traveling with another couple and they thought their bed was too soft also so they asked their room steward if anything can be done. They were informed that the mattresses can actually be turned over, and have a soft and hard side to them!

I had never realized this before so we requested our room steward to flip ours over to the hard side as the default is soft side up. What is nice, is that because the queen size beds are actually two twin size beds put together, if one couple prefers a softer bed while the other prefers a firmer bed that can be accomplished. 

In the past I suspect our mattresses were hard side up as we didn't notice them being as soft as on the current cruise.

Nice! I never knew that.

Posted (edited)
On 10/20/2023 at 8:23 PM, beg3yrs said:

Yes the website, princessluxurybed.com is still live but they've been sold out for quite some time now. We bought a full king set for our place in Florida and a year later decided it was time to replace our king in Arizona. No such luck. 🤔

This thread from a few years ago identifies the manufacturer of the princess luxury bed as sherwood.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2377812-new-princess-beds/#comment-51140922

There was also a poster who went to a sherwood dealer, and got a mattress with the same specs (but no princess name) and was happy.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2591224-princess-bedding/

Sleeping, like tipping, is a very personal matter.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got off Emerald last week in a penthouse.

The mattress was 2 singles squished together

I almost slid sideways off my side. My wife woke up with neck pains that caused her to chew Tylenols for 3 days

Room steward said he would mention it to Hotel manager. Nothing was done.

Ship was built in 2007, wonder if the sleeping pad was original.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@minnesotasisu

This

is curiouser and curiouser

Edited by that

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 9:35 PM, Carnevale said:

We were on Discovery last week and didn’t like the bed as it was hard even with a mattress topper.  And the pillows were hard and too thick with crunchy pillow protectors.  We loved the bed and pillows last year on Regal so, by comparison, what we had on Discovery was a disappointment.

We were on Discovery in September 2023 in R723 and right now we're in Discovery M723. The beds are definitely not the same quality as they were before covid. Both on Discovery have been very lumpy, saggy and hard at the same time. There were times when you could choose between 5 different pillow types as well. My guess is that covid supply chain issues caused them to go with a different brand. Kind of bummed because I used to so look forward to sleeping on their beds. Now I am not liking it at all. We purchased one after a cruise a few years back and it never got delivered. 

Times have definitely changed. They no longer have separate shampoo and conditioner or provide the little bottles of the lotus spa lotions or qtips. I hope they recover from the bad times. 

On 3/8/2024 at 7:09 PM, LAS!!1414 said:

Just off Enchanted March 7 cabin R541 -- terrible mattresses -- neck/back pain --- many others onboard had similar comments.

we did a B3B on Enchanted in February, in two different cabins. The first was a deluxe balcony and the bed was very comfortable. The second was a regular balcony and that bed definitely was softer and more saggy. My husband wondered if a "plus-sized" cruiser had been in the room before us! Good to know that you can ask to have the mattress flipped, will try to remember that.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:05 PM, rj59 said:

I haven't had problems with Discovery mattresses. On the other hand, the floodlights getting up to go to the bathroom in the night  makes me feel like I'm on a prison break. 

On Discovery’s first 2 cruises in Spring 2022 our balcony cabin did not have those nightlights & fortunately we didn’t have your experience on Discovery on our cruise that ended yesterday.

We thought our queen configured mattress was as comfortable as it was 2 years ago. Although mattress comfort can vary by person but for us it was comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always loved the Princess Luxury Bed and dreamed of having one at home. I have to say, though, that last month on the Sky, we were shocked when we entered the room and saw a sunken-in-on-both-sides, past its prime mattress. It was still comfortable but not the ultra luxurious feel the mattresses have always had. Someone asked the officers at a presentation if Princess has entered their partnership with the Sleep Science people, and they said “no, not yet”. I took “yet” like maybe it’s nearing the end. Then this month, I went on the ordering website, and the mattresses are gone! I realllllllly hope they don’t end their partnership and that they’re just temporarily sold out! 

On 10/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, kstrittm said:

All, I have a question - and I'm being serious here - not trying to be snarky...

Several years ago, I took a Princess cruise and fell in love with their mattresses.  They were called Princess Luxury Bed Mattresses, and they were available for purchase online.  I loved it so much, I ordered one for my home.  The website is still live, and they sell them with Princess branding still in place.

Flash forward in time to post-COVID travel... In 2023, I completed 2 trips on Princess (in aft suites on Discovery; 2 different cabins).  The dang bed was so hard, I actually got a bruise on my hip!  Does anybody know what happened to the good mattresses?????

Again - I'm not being snarky - I really do want to know if anyone can tell me why they took the good mattresses away...

Thanks in advance.

I've travelled on three Princess ships in the past 18 months (including Discovery), and all have been the most comfortable beds on any of the cruise lines I've been on - and more comfortable than a pretty reasonable number of the many hotels I've stayed at in the past several years. IMO, they ARE "the good mattresses."

As some people have said, maybe you got the disadvantage of "temporary" mattresses during the shakedown period. New ships gonna new ship.