Your opinion on gratuities, please

I loathe tipping.  I always leave the auto-gratuities on because, to me, that's just part of the cost of the cruise.  It's not like I have the option of fetching my own drinks and staff need to be paid.   I just wish it was part of the fare upfront and not some bogus add-on.  Just put the price up to the proper amount in the first place and don't play tricks.

Also, chasing people with an envelope of cash at the end of a cruise is very unpleasant and demeaning to me and the staff involved.  Just pay them properly in the first place, which shows them a lot more respect for the job they do.  As to getting 'better service', isn't that what I paid for in the first place?  If the cruise line wants to reward exceptional crew, then they should pay them a bonus or give them a promotion.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

But if you leave the auto-grats on, then I have the nagging thought that the stewards/waiters will be looking for another tip. I have yet to discover any staff onboard that has given me any service above and beyond what I believe to be their job. I dont really care what they are paid- that is none of my business- it's up to them and their employers what they are paid for their work. I feel no obligation to become an American when cruising.

Paying a pre-determined service charge doesn't make you American when you are cruising on American ships. It won't be long and all of the cruise lines will include those charges at the time of booking to take it out of our hands anyway. 

We have never had a waiter or steward fishing for extra tips. There are plenty that just do their job, but we have been way more fortunate to have had a few servants that have been absolutely incredible.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Paying a pre-determined service charge doesn't make you American when you are cruising on American ships. It won't be long and all of the cruise lines will include those charges at the time of booking to take it out of our hands anyway. 

We have never had a waiter or steward fishing for extra tips. There are plenty that just do their job, but we have been way more fortunate to have had a few servants that have been absolutely incredible.

servants? 

• Like 1

Just now, Sparky74 said:

servants? 

In want of a better word, I was looking for a word to describe people who serve. Waiters, stewards etc are paid to serve as much those serving the public are public servants.

Not to be confused with slave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

In want of a better word, I was looking for a word to describe people who serve. Waiters, stewards etc are paid to serve as much those serving the public are public servants.

Not to be confused with slave.

Maybe "servers"?

I’m a little uncomfortable with the word "servant" but that’s just me. 

• Like 2

Maybe it is just some of us that get the extra service, the service that has them go out of their way and beyond just doing their job. I feel fortunate to have had this many many times by multiple staff in differing areas, on different lines and ships.

In any case, if I notice they have done this, sometimeswithou asking, then I will reward them both via comment and also cash.

• Like 4

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I now know that I can enjoy my cruise without having to worry about who to tip and how much.

It's so out of the norm for us Kiwis to tip - I remember once coming home from a trip of several months in Europe, going to hand my hairdresser a tip (which I had got used to doing in France) to have her tell me ' You've been away too long, you've forgotten we don't tip!'

Thanks again all.

• Like 5

I know I have posted this before on other threads, I'm not sure if it was on the down under board.

Believe it or not there is a difference between "TIPS" and "Gratuities". "TIPS" are given before hand "to insure proper service" this is when the patron offers someone, usually the maitre d to get a better table, then the waiter or bartender or any other person so you are moved to the front of the line. It is a bribe for lack of a better word; unfortunately many times the tipper thinks they now actually own the person they bribed for the duration of the encounter. A "gratuity" is given after service to say thankyou for a job well done. Unfortunately in Canada and the US "gratuities" are expected no matter how ordinary or even bad the service is.

We are happy to pay the "gratuities" as charged by the cruise line, for our down under cruise the "Gratuities" are included in the "have it all" package we chose. If we have exceptional service we will also give cash to the individuals that went above and beyond for us.

It will be a welcome change for us when we are down there and the bill is the bill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

"TIPS" are given before hand "to insure proper service" this is when the patron offers someone, usually the maitre d to get a better table, then the waiter or bartender or any other person so you are moved to the front of the line. 

Ha….nice try.

However it would be TEPS in that case, as the word is ensure.

• Haha 4

Interesting “hypothetical” calculation on gratuities.  Average cruise ship, say 2000 paxs pay gratuities multiplied by say 350 days a year at  $16 per day with the cruise line having 15 ships, they would collect  $168,000,000 .If each ship had 1000 crew that would be $11200 a year per crew member. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

What I said was the truth, take it or leave it.

The actual accepted origin is "To Insure Promptness" This was painted and fired on porcelain cups & bowls at inns, coffee houses, etc. for coins to be dropped into.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Even so, it should be "To Ensure Promptness". 😁

Possibly but making a payment to insure against a possible unfavorable outcome is just as valid. 
You could also say “to assure promptness “

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, yarramar said:

Possibly but making a payment to insure against a possible unfavorable outcome is just as valid. 
You could also say “to assure promptness “

You could certainly say "assure". Maybe I am taking the word literally, but I understand "insure" to relate to insurance of some kind.