Baggage Trouble at Port Canaveral - RCCL no help!

FL-momma

19 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

Does anyone remember the days when airports used to check the baggage claim receipts with the tags on the luggage before letting you leave the carousels?

Yeah, that was so 40 years ago...

Yes.  Atlanta airport was very strict about it.  Was less than 30 years ago when I would fly into there for a business meeting.  Was the only one I knew of at that time...though indeed crime is a bit on the higher side there.  😉 

2 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Does anyone remember the days when airports used to check the baggage claim receipts with the tags on the luggage before letting you leave the carousels?

Yeah, that was so 40 years ago...

Yeah, I also remember getting a meal on planes.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

You are mot missing much.   They are still not very good.  Over spiced, over sauced and don't settle well.  🤢

We're talking about 40 years ago and not today.  I haven't gotten a meal on plane in a long time, because most have been short distance.  The last time I got a meal and served with wine was the last time we flew to Barcelona for 12-night Mediterranean cruise on Serenade. 

17 hours ago, nelblu said:

We're talking about 40 years ago and not today.  I haven't gotten a meal on plane in a long time, because most have been short distance.  The last time I got a meal and served with wine was the last time we flew to Barcelona for 12-night Mediterranean cruise on Serenade. 

Ahh...that's right.  Actually used to serve free full meals in coach.  Indeed remember it well from at least that long ago.  Now it really is "cattle class".  And the people are getting larger, the seats smaller.  Maybe we should call it "sardine class"...and oh the dreaded middle seat!! 😱  To avoid that when we fly coach on short flights, we do "aisle and aisle".  Though I do miss looking out the window.  

Flew back from Amsterdam last week business class.  Wine, beer, alcohol with meals...the wine good...the food not so good.  😞 

On 10/22/2023 at 9:40 PM, Charles4515 said:

she should have checked. 

Doesn't EVERYBODY put I.D. tags on their luggage, NC woman obviously did not or did not check it herself...can't fix stupid.  Op's sister should stay on top of the Insurance.  Rccl is not responsible for this, they delivered the said luggage to the pier, that is the end of their part.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Ahh...that's right.  Actually used to serve free full meals in coach.  Indeed remember it well from at least that long ago.  Now it really is "cattle class".  And the people are getting larger, the seats smaller.  Maybe we should call it "sardine class"...and oh the dreaded middle seat!! 😱  To avoid that when we fly coach on short flights, we do "aisle and aisle".  Though I do miss looking out the window.  

Flew back from Amsterdam last week business class.  Wine, beer, alcohol with meals...the wine good...the food not so good.  😞 

I miss looking out the window too but I've become an aisle dweller lately.

• Like 1

While not great, long-haul flights still serve meals in Economy.  Just flew round trip to Zurich this week and was served both ways.  Example, flight home had meal service shortly after takeoff (pasta or chicken dish) with a small salad, bread roll, and a fudge-like dessert.  Then later in the flight they offered single-serve vanilla ice cream, and then they offered a veggie pesto or BBQ chicken wrap shortly before landing.  Beer and wine available to all, liquor drinks in Main Cabin Extra.  This was on American Airlines.  

53 minutes ago, babyblue78 said:

While not great, long-haul flights still serve meals in Economy.  Just flew round trip to Zurich this week and was served both ways.  Example, flight home had meal service shortly after takeoff (pasta or chicken dish) with a small salad, bread roll, and a fudge-like dessert.  Then later in the flight they offered single-serve vanilla ice cream, and then they offered a veggie pesto or BBQ chicken wrap shortly before landing.  Beer and wine available to all, liquor drinks in Main Cabin Extra.  This was on American Airlines.  

Same on British Air when I flew to London.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup. I don't like feeling trapped when I need to go.

Worse thing for me was in the middle seat, and a stranger is sleeping soundly in the aisle seat next to me.   😮   Yeah, I don't need to look out the window that bad.  😄 

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, brillohead said:

I wonder if it was the SHIPPING cost or the CUSTOMS fee that they had to pay?  

It was a shipping fee.  It came to about $80 Canadian if I remember correctly.

On 10/25/2023 at 11:56 AM, brillohead said:

Anything that crosses the border that might have been purchased elsewhere is subject to customs.

There was nothing in the suitcase purchased while on the trip.  That said, I believe the current amount is $800 per person returning to Canada that they are permitted if out of the country for more than 48 hours (week long cruise, so that would have qualified) without having to pay any customs or duties on it.  I realize that is if the suitcase was actually coming back across the border with the people who were out of the country (which it should have been if some idiot had not took the wrong suitcase).  Even if it was being shipped back home after the cruise due to the issues, you would figure that if it had been a customs fee, it should not have been charged since it was lost luggage and as long as the amount purchased in the suitcase was below the threshold, there should not be an issue).

On 10/25/2023 at 12:31 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Gotcha, I was thinking about dirty laundry.😇

That was all it was.  Plus some shoes and toiletries.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:31 PM, FL-momma said:

She has insurance; however, it may or not pay since she knows the location of the bag now.

Insurance may cover the cost of returning the bag.

In that case they would probably invoice the person who took incorrectly it for reimbursement. 

14 hours ago, Andcur said:

Insurance may cover the cost of returning the bag.

In that case they would probably invoice the person who took incorrectly it for reimbursement. 

Insurance would never invoice the offending party.  They would expect that one pays to have their luggage returned, then the policy holder submit receipts for possible reimbursement

On 10/26/2023 at 1:00 PM, babyblue78 said:

They have to offer food on long-haul flights. People have to eat.

Usually the food and drink are free on international flights due to currency exchange issues -- simply put, people might not have the cash in the airlline's home currency to pay for the stuff, and we can't assume that people in foreign countries have the same credit-card culture as other countries. 

3 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

They have to offer food on long-haul flights. People have to eat.

Usually the food and drink are free on international flights due to currency exchange issues -- simply put, people might not have the cash in the airlline's home currency to pay for the stuff, and we can't assume that people in foreign countries have the same credit-card culture as other countries. 

Just because people need to eat, doesn’t mean they have to provide it for free.  Passengers could bring from home, buy in the airport, or pay inflight.  They also do not care about credit card culture, you’d either be prepared to pay or not, like any other detail of traveling somewhere. But for now, airlines provide on long haul typically, but they are not required to and could cut anytime if they thought they could get away with it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, time4u2go said:

No, they don't have to offer food on long-haul flights.

I didn't use "have to" in the legal sense, I used it in the humane sense that it's in their interest to feed people who are on an airplane for 12 or more hours.

I suppose you'll come back and say that in Europe, international flights don't take 12 hours, so let me prebut you and say that in trans-ocean flights it is in their interest to feed people who are on planes for 12+ hours.