School reunion cruise

lenquixote66

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What do you mean ?

I would think planning a school reunion on a cruise ship would be prohibitively expensive for a large number of people who would (or should) be included in the reunion.

It's hard enough to get a decent number together to "meet at XX restaurant" for one.

Best to check out who the promoters are of the this reunion cruise.

In the past I've had at least two cruise promotions for my high school class.  

The first one even touted that it was approved by the alumni association.  I called a friend who was the President of the alumni association at the time who replied, "You too!!... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!"  We/She couldn't figure out the "classmate" who was promoting this cruise or the address of the travel agency.

23 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

It's hard enough to get a decent number together to "meet at XX restaurant" for one.

She and others planned a reunion for 3 three high school classes together and barely got enough response to cover the deposit. 

Edited by Philob

39 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

School reunions only seem to make sense when scheduled to take plac in the same area as the school - that is if any significant level of attendance is desired.

I went to schools in NYC only but went to two school reunions in Houston,Texas.

We wanted to do something different and they were great.

A neighbor of mine also went to schools in NYC and one of his HS reunions was in California.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I would think planning a school reunion on a cruise ship would be prohibitively expensive for a large number of people who would (or should) be included in the reunion.

I was not inquiring for myself.I was listening to a radio show about unusual places for reunions.

I have been to 6 school reunions ,that is enough fit me.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been to 6 school reunions ,that is enough fit me.

I've been to zero school reunions and that's more than enough for me.  😁

As one of my favorite philosophers said, "The high point of low school was getting out of there."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Same. Someone from my university  alumni association somehow managed to track me down recently. I've no idea how. I haven't lived there for decades, have never gone to a reunion, and use a different (married ) name. She wanted to know if I'd be attending our 50th anniversary reunion. I'm not going to spend money on airfare and hotels on the other side of the country, so why would I spend double or triple that on a cruise? Aren't most reunions held in the same place as their school?

• Like 1

Mrs Ldub's HS batch mates frequently organize get-togethers.  Not the same as the formal class reunion banquet.  More of a let's get together.  Different places & different countries. Usually over a few days.  At least one (maybe more) have been a cruise.  We did not attend the cruise.   

41 minutes ago, mom says said:

Same. Someone from my university  alumni association somehow managed to track me down recently. I've no idea how. I haven't lived there for decades, have never gone to a reunion, and use a different (married ) name. She wanted to know if I'd be attending our 50th anniversary reunion. I'm not going to spend money on airfare and hotels on the other side of the country, so why would I spend double or triple that on a cruise? Aren't most reunions held in the same place as their school?

I went to schools in Brooklyn NY and grad school in Manhattan,NY

Two of my school reunions were in Houston,Texas and one in New Jersey

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

As one of my favorite philosophers said, "The high point of low school was getting out of there."

Many years ago I wanted to get in touch with people that I knew in Elementary School and write a book about them.
My wife said nobody beside me would be interested (I am a published Author).I abandoned the idea.Several years later a reporter for the New York Times wrote a best seller titled The Class of 1950.He tracked down students who graduated with him from his Junior High School.I bought the book even though I did not go to his school nor graduate in that year.

• Like 1

How many people actually care about any of the people they went to school with many many years ago.  I will bet very few.  I sure don't.  The only reason that the schools care about me is when they send me begging letters.

DON

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

How many people actually care about any of the people they went to school with many many years ago.  I will bet very few.  I sure don't.  The only reason that the schools care about me is when they send me begging letters.

DON

I am in my 80’s .When you are my age you may find yourself feeling different There is a Brooklyn,NY Nostalgia board on line that has existed since 1999 where people can post memories of their youth and reconnect with “lost” friends.

• Like 1

Even if I opted to not attend, it is kind of hard to say I wouldn't be interested in or care about people I went to school with.   Even though many years ago, they were part of many enjoyable and memorable experiences.  I can understand how those who had unpleasant school experiences could feel otherwise.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Mrs Ldub's HS batch mates frequently organize get-togethers.  Not the same as the formal class reunion banquet.  More of a let's get together.  Different places & different countries. Usually over a few days.  At least one (maybe more) have been a cruise.  We did not attend the cruise.   

There are alumni from my HS in both Southern and Northern California .They have informal gatherings once a year.My friends living in Berkeley usually attend the one in Northern California.

There is also one in Fla because many graduates of the school are retired there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Even if I opted to not attend, it is kind of hard to say I wouldn't be interested in or care about people I went to school with.   Even though many years ago, they were part of many enjoyable and memorable experiences.  I can understand how those who had unpleasant school experiences could feel otherwise.   

I am in e-mail and or telephone contact with 30 people who I went to various schools with.Even in weekly conversations we enjoy talking about our school days.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Just to be clear, I've had experiences both good and bad at all the schools I've ever attended.  But my current desire to relive them with those I'm not currently friends with is weak.  Things may change as I grow older.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ldubs said:

While I, on the other hand, was the ultimate wallflower, "who's that person?"  non-entity in high school.

I went to my first reunion (15 years) just so I could hear the "THAT'S (name withheld)?" when I showed up in my short, little black dress, hair done, makeup and without a doubt had "come out of my shell".

I've attended about 3 reunions now, but, since I have to travel to get there I haven't attended the last couple.  I'm thinking about whether I'll attend my 50 year reunion.  If they even have enough people to set one up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am in my 80’s .When you are my age you may find yourself feeling different There is a Brooklyn,NY Nostalgia board on line that has existed since 1999 where people can post memories of their youth and reconnect with “lost” friends.

I am also in my early 80's.  Don't care about fellow HS attendees.  Never have cared for decades.

DON

6 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I am also in my early 80's.  Don't care about fellow HS attendees.  Never have cared for decades.

DON

Nearly all of my close friends have died.I have Stage 4 Parkinsons and I am totally disabled.The only enjoyment I have aside from family is conversations with school people about the good old days.

• Like 2