Regent Voyager questions

saz25

Hi,

We love Regent and have been on 6 Regent cruises with several more booked. So far all the Regent ships we have sailed on or have booked are Explorer, Splendor, and Grandeur (coming up next year).

We have never sailed on Voyager. However we are considering an itinerary for next year.

For those who sailed Voyager recently, what are your thoughts? I realize it’s about 50-60 passengers smaller with I think one less restaurant. That’s ok. Any other thoughts on quality of cabins, staff, etc?

thanks

We have been on the Mariner, the Explorer, the Splendor and the Voyager.

Voyager seems older than the other ships we've been on. You might want to avoid the aft cabins, since there can be a vibration issue. I was not impressed with the penthouse suites. My friend had one at the rear of the ship, and it was oddly shaped, and her TV was tiny and oddly placed, so that there didn't seem to be any place comfortable to watch it from. There are fewer outlets on the Voyager, and the ones there are mostly European. The lower suites (concierge and below) have fewer drawers.

Food, entertainment, cabin stewards, etc, are all on a par with other Regent ships.

All that said, we book mainly for itinerary, so if the Voyager is going where you want to go, there's no reason not to take it. We have a Voyager cruise booked for early 2026 because we like the itinerary. I did make sure our suite was mid-ship.

• Like 1

We were on the Voyager this last year.  While not shiny and new like Explorer and Splendor, it is a very comfortable ship.  We have a 2025 cruise booked on the Voyager.  We were in a concierge which except for location and perks like excursion booking really isn't very different than Veranda Suites.  When Navigator went through dry dock several years ago, an additional set of drawers were added in the closest.  On the Voyager that extra set is much larger and we had plenty of drawer space.  Viewing in the theater is much better than Explorer.

I would never hesitate about booking the Voyager if the itinerary is what I want.

We just finished 22 nights on Voyager.  The ship is somewhat dated in decor and you will notice a few smudges here and there.  But, the ship and our cabin were maintained in a spotless condition.  The staff was extremely attentive across the board.  Our Concierge class cabin had plenty of storage.  We were somewhat aft of midship on deck 8 and we did experience some vibration at times but nothing overly distracting.  The Wi-Fi was horrible, however.  On a daily basis we had to go to a central common area on the ship to pick up our emails.  I understand this problem will be addressed in the near future.  

As noted above, we would not hesitate to book on Voyager if the itinerary was one that was of interest.  

• Thanks 1

@saz25

After sailing on the three newest ships, going on Voyager could be a step down.  She is an older ship, has a known vibration and isn’t as glitzy as the new ships.  You will find the food, experience and service similar.  If Voyager has the itinerary you want, than give her a try.

I was on Voyager for two weeks in August and we had a great time.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

23 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I've spent 100 nights on Voyager and never noticed any unusual vibration. Navigator has a bit of it but I like it!

I’ve not experienced the vibration on Voyager but former passengers do mention it.  On Navigator  for more than 200 nights, is not a problem as I don’t book the aft suites.  

One of my favorite videos I took on Navigator.  Leaving port in Galileo’s.  I call it “Self-swirling wine glass!”

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, NCCruzQueen said:

I’ve not experienced the vibration on Voyager but former passengers do mention it.  On Navigator  for more than 200 nights, is not a problem as I don’t book the aft suites.  

One of my favorite videos I took on Navigator.  Leaving ports in Galileo’s.

IMG_3712.mov 20.88 MB · 0 downloads

I love the Navigator. Reading some of the posts here, you would think half these people have never been onboard any Regent ship. 

• Like 3

150 nights on the voyager and yes she has a bit of vibration but she is hands down far better than the explorer and I believe she is as good if not better than splendor.  Mariner is my favorite with voyager (and navigator) close behind. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

150 nights on the voyager and yes she has a bit of vibration but she is hands down far better than the explorer and I believe she is as good if not better than splendor.  Mariner is my favorite with voyager (and navigator) close behind. 

Agreed. I just never noticed the vibration...maybe she and I resonate at the same frequency!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Can you and Cardad explain a bit why you prefer those three ships over the newer Explorer and Spendor?  I am not being critical, but am genuinely curious.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bruce61 said:

Can you and Cardad explain a bit why you prefer those three ships over the newer Explorer and Spendor?  I am not being critical, but am genuinely curious.  Thanks.

Some people like form, others prefer substance. I've never been a person who cares about the newest and the shiniest....I like old comfortable sweaters and small bars with nooks for dinner. Small ships over large, less people over more. I don't care about artwork, fancy staircases or those silly eggs. I've been on all the ships in the last 7+ years and know enough to know what I like. I respect what others prefer...but I find great enjoyment in Navigator in particular.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I can agree with the comments about the smaller ships and add that I like he front and rear entrances to the Compass Rose and like the closeness of everywhere.  You seldom need to walk the length of the ship to get anywhere.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Some people like form, others prefer substance. I've never been a person who cares about the newest and the shiniest....I like old comfortable sweaters and small bars with nooks for dinner. Small ships over large, less people over more. I don't care about artwork, fancy staircases or those silly eggs. I've been on all the ships in the last 7+ years and know enough to know what I like. I respect what others prefer...but I find great enjoyment in Navigator in particular.

Thanks for that. Our first cruise ever was on Splendor this past June, and we absolutely loved it. On Friday, we booked another one, for this coming June, out of Monte Carlo on Navigator. We figured that while we'd miss the niceties or Splendor, especially the Observation Lounge, that was outweighed by the fact that the itinerary was exactly what we were looking for and the fare we got was very attractive. It's great to learn, subsequent to our booking, that Navigator appears to be the favorite ship of many people!

• Like 2

As others have noted, Voyager is not as new and shiny as Explorer and Splendor, but is nevertheless a very nice ship. I particularly like an asset it shares with Mariner—an aft Horizon Lounge in addition to the forward Observation Lounge. Standard cabins are larger than those on Mariner, the same as those on Navigator, and smaller than the F cabins on Splendor and Explorer.

The negatives (none of which are even close to deal-breakers for me) are the cramped gym, the Coffee Connection that seems like an un-inviting afterthought, and the fact that there is only one set of doors on the main level of the theater, making for a difficult flow when a lot of excursions are leaving around the same time or after a popular show.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

The worst thing about the three older ships are the bathrooms. 

What is wrong with the bathrooms. They have a shower and tub on the Navigator and you can get a nice big shower only on the Mariner. They are marble and more roomy just not the black and white and shiny chrome or the new ships.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, Bruce61 said:

A lot of reasons and you can find multiple threads.  Primary reason is Horizon Lounge on Mariner and Voyager and the size of the Navigator (having a cabin on deck 6 of navigator is absolutely fantastic).  Explorer has many design flaws that were partially corrected on Splendor.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Explorer has many design flaws that were partially corrected on Splendor.  

.......... and the decor on Splendor is a lighter palette which we find a great improvement over the dark hues on Explorer.

It will be interesting to see any further design improvements on Grandeur and what colour scheme is chosen for the suites & public areas.

• Like 1

We have been on splendor and explorer.  We just sailed voyager and the public areas and layout was nice.  The ph room we had was disappointing.  Tiny TV, lack of plugs.  Small balcony shower was tiny and horrible compared to the newer ships.  Closet was large but not much drawer space and a whole wall with nothing but a tie rack.  Some hook would have been nice.  Specialty dining venue were small.   

6 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We have been on splendor and explorer.  We just sailed voyager and the public areas and layout was nice.  The ph room we had was disappointing.  Tiny TV, lack of plugs.  Small balcony shower was tiny and horrible compared to the newer ships.  Closet was large but not much drawer space and a whole wall with nothing but a tie rack.  Some hook would have been nice.  Specialty dining venue were small.   

What room did you have?  

9 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We’ve sailed on Voyager once, earlier this year, in a Penthouse. I won’t argue with any of Lonedaddy’s issues but I will say that the only item on his list I really considered to be a weakness was the tiny shower. We assume there will be a lack of plugs where we want them so we bring multi-port chargers and multi-outlet extension cord on all cruises. 

I like the intimacy of the smaller specialty dining venues on Voyager. 

• Like 1