Sailing out of Monte Carlo

ON cruiser

Hello all; next June we’re starting a cruise (Navigator) from Monte Carlo. We’ve got the included hotel for the prior night. If you’ve done this before, please describe how Regent got you to Monte Carlo.

I understand that commercially one flies to Nice. No commercial/scheduled service to Monte Carlo.

Does Regent then use chartered helicopters for the last leg? Or are we all on a bus in the notoriously bad traffic from Nice to Monte? If a helicopter, is the luggage delivered to the ship by truck?

Any relatively recent information about this is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Haha 1

We are on the same cruise! The itinerary looks fantastic. We just booked it yesterday.

We are arranging our own air travel and will likely take DL's ATL-NCE flight. We'll probably fly over a little ahead of time and will spend a couple of days in the NCE area on our own. We've been there several times before and haven't settled on a location for this trip yet but are thinking about Menton.

I can't imagine that Regent would provide helicopter transfers. Any one helicopter is likely to be able to carry only 10-15 passengers and their bags. With ~400 passengers, that would get expensive quickly. I would assume more conventional ground transportation. Yes, traffic can be bad on the three Corniches but I wouldn't think that it would take much more than an hour from NCE airport even in pretty bad traffic.

Since we're doing our own air, we'll be on our own for ground transportation, too, but we've done Nice-Monte Carlo by train in the past and it's a piece of cake. We've never sailed from Monaco before, but the port is mere blocks from the train station, though as I recall it's up a pretty steep hill and you'd probably want to take a cab if you had much luggage. If we settle on Menton as our temporary base, we'll just grab an Uber, as it's a very short haul.

Maybe we'll see you on the ship!

We have sailed from Monte Carlo a few times and Regent have usually provided a black private hire Mercedes either just for the two of us or, when with friends, the four of us. It’s quite a pleasant journey and you are picked up directly outside the airport. 
I have considered the helicopter ride but then you’re still left with a journey from the heliport in Monte Carlo to the hotel. Anyway if helicopters were meant to fly they would have wings. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

We have sailed from Monte Carlo a few times and Regent have usually provided a black private hire Mercedes either just for the two of us or, when with friends, the four of us. It’s quite a pleasant journey and you are picked up directly outside the airport. 
I have considered the helicopter ride but then you’re still left with a journey from the heliport in Monte Carlo to the hotel. Anyway if helicopters were meant to fly they would have wings. 

When we took the Helicopter to Monte Carlo the taxi to the hotel was included in the cost. We have stayed at the Port Palace and at the Hermitage. 

I love how you think Regent is going to put you in helicopter for that last little section!  If you staying at the Hermitage or the other hotels in that class,  you can indeed pay for the service.  I had that option last month,  but the lovely Mercedes was just fine for us.  Took less than an hour.  

Where does Regent put you for the night? Get tickets for car museum, well worth it!  My husband and I both enjoyed it!  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

Does Regent then use chartered helicopters for the last leg? Or are we all on a bus in the notoriously bad traffic from Nice to Monte? If a helicopter, is the luggage delivered to the ship by truck?

Any relatively recent information about this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Even as a fan of Regent, this question is hilarious.

• Like 3

Thanks for the input, all. Did not intend to come across as “entitled” as we’re definitely not “to the manor born”. Rather,  the flight info from Regent specified getting us to Monte Carlo’s airport, which is not served by scheduled airlines; it’s primarily a heli-port.

So, I wondered, and asked.  Perfectly fine in a limo or shared van.

We’re not doing our own air as the cost of Biz-class is prohibitive. Hopefully we can deviate into a decent flight itinerary from Regent’s air department…TBD.

As mentioned, Nice airport to Monaco by road is fine; there’s sometimes some traffic at the Monaco end depending on the time of day.

We took the chopper a few years ago as a treat. Not horribly expensive, and a great experience. It seated up to 4 of 5 passengers iirc. It included a limo from the heliport to the ship.

We sailed from Monte Carlo a few times on Regent.  The first time I booked the Hermitage. It was delightful until my husband got the bill.  Continental Breakfast to the room was 100 Euro.  Car to the Port another 100 Euro.  We could see the ship from our room.  We stayed in Nice the next time.

Several years ago we did a Regent cruise from Monte Carlo to Rio....fabulous itinerary, but I digress...

Our flights were delayed and re routed ( a mess) but made it to Nice. After a call to Regent, we had a Mercedes suv as big as a dump truck pick all 4 of us up. A ton of luggage only filled part of the truck, ah, car....giggle!

We stayed at the Fairmont Monte Carlo which was so very wonderful....still some happy memories.

After near panic state (can we make the connection, will we get there in time....etc.) the drive was most enjoyable and the Fairmont took wonderful care of us....we were in an ordinary, balcony cabin, so it didn't seem to matter what catagory we were in.......

Long story short, I wouldn't worry too much about your transfer......

On 11/5/2023 at 1:25 PM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We sailed from Monte Carlo a few times on Regent.  The first time I booked the Hermitage. It was delightful until my husband got the bill.  Continental Breakfast to the room was 100 Euro.  Car to the Port another 100 Euro.  We could see the ship from our room.  We stayed in Nice the next time.

The trick is to book using AMEX so you get the brekkie included in that lovely stained glass covered cupola designed by Gustave Eiffel plus a food and beverage credit.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Emdee said:

The trick is to book using AMEX so you get the brekkie included in that lovely stained glass covered cupola designed by Gustave Eiffel plus a food and beverage credit.

They didn't include it back then, that I recall. Maybe they did and I just remembered what it was Ala carte