Luggage on Intercruises coach to Southampton

sandancer

We are using the coach transfers for the first time and notice that the luggage allowance is 3 medium suitcases per person. Max weight 20kg.  No intention of taking 6 bags. 2 larger bags would work better for us. Anyone know how strict they are about size? 

I have seen people take a really big suitcase and put in hold but as others have said I wouldn't risk it just in case.

Once we were on a 19 day cruise and had 3 medium suitcases and a small one to put in hold and the driver was really snotty with us about it, I was worried he was going to leave some behind. I always wait until our cases have been put on now, if they are piling them up until just before we leave I keep going out to check. The next time I booked I asked them about this and they said he shouldn't have been rude as you are allowed 3 medium each. 

It also says one small hand luggage but again I have seen people board with about 3 or 4 bags especially on way back where they often leave in the aisle. 

Where is your coach transfer from and how long is the cruise ? 

We have used both Intercruises and Eavesway from Bolton though the Intercruises pick up is more Horwich.

On our 24 night Princess cruise end  of September a lot of folks took advantage of the max 3 medium case rule and the coach  luggage hold  was already full at Bolton with more pick ups along the way.  I said to the driver didn't you know this was a 3 weeks + cruise ???? . Nope he didn’t. 

We only had one big suitcase each,  weighed under 23kgs , and one hand luggage. 

When we got to Southampton both my hand luggage cases were missing !!!! 😢

Unbeknown to me when the coaches were together at one of the pick ups down the line luggage had been shifted between the 2 buses to make room for the newcomers....

Luckily the other bus was behind ours so our driver went round again at the terminal  and between us we found my cases . 

In the past any unlabelled hand  luggage was left at the side of the bus for collection . I didn't have cabin labels on my hand luggage just personal ID, never had an issue before .

Tip: make sure you let the driver know what is hand luggage , our bus did have a smaller locker just for small cases. In his defense this time round I hadn't said what was the hand luggage .

Also make sure you have personal ID on ALL handles , one of my big suitcases along with several other passenger's luggage got damaged , the top handle got broken after being passed over to the porters to go on the ship , didn't find it until after midnight !  The ship did repair it .

Travelling down by coach is very convenient , we have 5 more return journeys between now and August  24,  4 with P&O , at least now I will be highlighting my hand luggage to the driver and watch it stowed before getting on the bus . 

Sorry for the long post but this situation had never happened before , a long cruise with lots of folks taking advantage of the 3 case rule was a perfect storm for something to go awry.

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

We are picking the coach up at Washington Services. I find the 3 medium bags each strange. I can’t imagine travelling with 6 cases. We are on for 14 nights. Surely 2 large suitcases would be more manageable than 6 medium.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, david63 said:

If you read further on it says:

"A medium sized suitcase is defined as not exceeding: Height 70cm x Width 30cm x Depth 45cm."

Personally I would not risk anything any bigger.

Is this something you have seen on Intercruise info as I can't find anything referring to dimensions in our T&C's, just refers to number of cases and max weight?

1 minute ago, sandancer said:

Same here. 

We have two cases with one of the dimensions quoted being slightly less than ours, however when doing the math the overall volume is almost the same so as long as Intercruise do not specify a max size we will go with the two we have. 

49 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We are picking the coach up at Washington Services. I find the 3 medium bags each strange. I can’t imagine travelling with 6 cases. We are on for 14 nights. Surely 2 large suitcases would be more manageable than 6 medium.

There is a maximum weight limit for cases of 23 kgs, which you can just about squeeze into a medium case, however the large cases will hold over 30 kgs and the porters, never mind the cabin stewards, will struggle to lift that sort of weight.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a maximum weight limit for cases of 23 kgs, which you can just about squeeze into a medium case, however the large cases will hold over 30 kgs and the porters, never mind the cabin stewards, will struggle to lift that sort of weight.

Max weight 20kg each according to our Intercruises confirmation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

I think it is because of the weight. I have never seen any luggage refused but some people take huge cases. You have to spare a thought for the drivers and porters

We bought the smaller cases as I was worried we wouldn't be allowed on the coach with bigger ones. When we got to the coach park, lots of people had much larger cases than ours. The driver certainty gets a work out loading all the cases. 

You are the first pickup, the driver starts at Washington. Make sure you go to the coach park at the back. Our taxi dropped us off in the car park, then saw the correct place as he was leaving. The drivers have all been lovely on the ones we have been on. 

20 minutes ago, emam said:

We bought the smaller cases as I was worried we wouldn't be allowed on the coach with bigger ones. When we got to the coach park, lots of people had much larger cases than ours. The driver certainty gets a work out loading all the cases. 

You are the first pickup, the driver starts at Washington. Make sure you go to the coach park at the back. Our taxi dropped us off in the car park, then saw the correct place as he was leaving. The drivers have all been lovely on the ones we have been on. 

That may be a challenge as we have a wheelchair to deal with as well. Need to make sure the taxi drops us as close to the coach area as possible. 

14 minutes ago, sandancer said:

That may be a challenge as we have a wheelchair to deal with as well. Need to make sure the taxi drops us as close to the coach area as possible. 

When you come in off the A1, don't turn into the car park, drive down the side of the service station and stop just behind it.  It's next to the petrol garage. There's a ramp into the services if you want to use the facilities or buy a drink. Your driver will probably know where to go. 

Edited by emam

11 hours ago, sandancer said:

Hi 
Cant remember re Intercruises but on Eavesway if you are immobile with a wheelchair you will be sat in the special seats downstairs on the coach behind the driver,,,no need to struggle up the stairs to the main seating part.

Thats if you are on one of the coaches with upstairs seating,,,,I expect you may have to pre book these seats.

Others may know.

An Eavesway coach……..

IMG_2572.jpeg.d3b9c4b25eb5104957d82e8068bb3a71.jpegIMG_2571.jpeg.a360b064637fcbe083a63e48b6abccfa.jpeg

• Like 1

Spoke to Intercruises this morning and told them that the wheelchair can be folded and put in with the luggage. The agent said we will be seated near the front of the coach. I asked about the size of the bags and she said not to stress about that, just make sure they are not too heavy. She reiterated that we can take 6 bags between us - I think not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Spoke to Intercruises this morning and told them that the wheelchair can be folded and put in with the luggage. The agent said we will be seated near the front of the coach. I asked about the size of the bags and she said not to stress about that, just make sure they are not too heavy. She reiterated that we can take 6 bags between us - I think not. 

Hi Sandancer, we now use the Baggage Handling Company for our large luggage sp when we travel down to Southampton we travel light. 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:13 PM, emam said:

When you come in off the A1, don't turn into the car park, drive down the side of the service station and stop just behind it.  It's next to the petrol garage. There's a ramp into the services if you want to use the facilities or buy a drink. Your driver will probably know where to go. 

We have decided to stay overnight at the Travelodge. I know it’s going to be an early start and who knows what the weather will be like end of December. Haven’t stayed in a Travelodge for years. Hopefully it’s not too far to the coach park from there. 

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

We have decided to stay overnight at the Travelodge. I know it’s going to be an early start and who knows what the weather will be like end of December. Haven’t stayed in a Travelodge for years. Hopefully it’s not too far to the coach park from there. 

From the Travelodge you will walk through the services and out the back door. If it is too far with all your luggage you could take your wife and first. Then go back for the rest