Blood test on ship

coolcagolfer

May need to get blood test (INR) while on Island Princess. Can anyone tell me if Princess medical staff on ship can do this and fax it to my doctor. And what would the cost be?

Tried to get this info on Princess chat and after a substantial wait I was given a website to check (guestmedical@chgroup.com) which does not work. They have no direct phone line.

11 minutes ago, coolcagolfer said:

May need to get blood test (INR) while on Island Princess. Can anyone tell me if Princess medical staff on ship can do this and fax it to my doctor. And what would the cost be?

Tried to get this info on Princess chat and after a substantial wait I was given a website to check (guestmedical@chgroup.com) which does not work. They have no direct phone line.

If this is Princess, the email is:

guestmedical@hagroup.com

Try that one. 

My husband was in the same situation.  He was on Warfarin for his Afib and we were going on a longer cruise of 16 days and staying precruise in a hotel for three nights.  His doctor suggested an INR test two days prior to sailing as he would have lab results in 24 hours.  If the results were in the acceptable range and his two tests prior to that were also acceptable then he could go three weeks until the next test.  It worked out fine, with no issues.  My husband is now on Elequis which does not require INR testing and it’s such a relief to travel with no concerns.  I would not want to rely on the ship’s doctor to take the test and monitor the lab results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I honestly had to google this as I wasn’t positive which test you were asking about.  Have you thought about taking your own kits and self testing?  My husband has a standing order at the hospital but I’d be looking at alternatives when on an extended cruise.

But if your Dr prefers you test at the medical center it should be available.  Costs vary widely for onboard services but hope someone who has had to do this can answer that.

5 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

I honestly had to google this as I wasn’t positive which test you were asking about.  Have you thought about taking your own kits and self testing?  My husband has a standing order at the hospital but I’d be looking at alternatives when on an extended cruise.

But if your Dr prefers you test at the medical center it should be available.  Costs vary widely for onboard services but hope someone who has had to do this can answer that.

INR is a blood test that requires drawing blood and submitting it to a lab.  You cannot self test for this.   Must be a nurse or doctor.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, negn said:

Actually some insurance companies will supply a at home inr test kit.   As a visiting nurse, we were also provided with a machine to test in home.  

My DH doctor said a finger pinch blood test is highly inaccurate and should not be relied on since INR results can be life threatening if too high.   My husband has been testing for 14 years until switching heart meds.  Perhaps things are different in Canada.

Edited by Lady Arwen

2 hours ago, negn said:

Actually some insurance companies will supply a at home inr test kit.   As a visiting nurse, we were also provided with a machine to test in home.  

A visiting nurse can draw blood but drawing your own without a medical degree  or training is dangerous. Besides who is going to interpret the results  ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, memoak said:

A visiting nurse can draw blood but drawing your own without a medical degree  or training is dangerous. Besides who is going to interpret the results  ?

Very important post.  I know when I have to take a blood test on land, the sample is drawn at a lab, but sent out to be analyzed.  I am not sure a ship's medical center will have the capability nor a qualified technician/doctor to process the tests.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-ships-medical-centers/

I am interested (not needed) in hearing more from this thread.  Good Luck

• Thanks 1

This has nothing to do with a blood test, but DH was misdiagnosed in medical on a Princess ship last year.
He was given X-Rays and nothing was seen, so he was diagnosed with a torn ligament and was given a compression sock. The swelling and pain were unbearable. Once we were home he went to an orthopedist. Turns out he had a hairline fracture and needed a boot to stabilize his ankle. The doctor said he couldn't even read the x-rays that were taken on the ship and the sock probably made his condition worse.
After our experience I think Lady Arwen gave you very sound advice. If you are traveling for a longer length of time, perhaps you can find a hospital at a port of call and have them email you and the doctor the results? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Home INR tests use a finger jab to get a drop of blood ("jab" cause CC won't let me say the P word).  Which makes me wonder if the OP's medical provider would be willing to provide them with a home test kit including the meter for use on the cruise.   

Edited by ldubs

3 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

This has nothing to do with a blood test, but DH was misdiagnosed in medical on a Princess ship last year.
He was given X-Rays and nothing was seen, so he was diagnosed with a torn ligament and was given a compression sock. The swelling and pain were unbearable. Once we were home he went to an orthopedist. Turns out he had a hairline fracture and needed a boot to stabilize his ankle. The doctor said he couldn't even read the x-rays that were taken on the ship and the sock probably made his condition worse.
After our experience I think Lady Arwen gave you very sound advice. If you are traveling for a longer length of time, perhaps you can find a hospital at a port of call and have them email you and the doctor the results? 

A friend of mine fell and hurt her leg.  They did an Xray and said there was a greenstick fracture.  (Her husband was convinced they'd put her in traction in the next port).  It was Juneau the next morning, and the xray there (and at home after the cruise) said sprained knee.  We called him chicken little for a while after that.  But the ship did get it wrong.

• Like 2

@coolcagolfer

FYI, many cardiology offices use the "finger stick" INR testing.

I would consult with your physician - the best way to handle testing while away.

Being in the medical laboratory field for many years (retired) when I needed to go on a blood thinner - I chose Xarelto.  Yes, very expensive but not as many side-effects that warfarin can cause and so much easier for traveling.

Edited by Tyskie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Home INR tests use a finger jab to get a drop of blood ("jab" cause CC won't let me say the P word).  Which makes me wonder if the OP's medical provider would be willing to provide them with a home test kit including the meter for use on the cruise.   

This is a very dangerous thing to do away from your home and doctor.  If your INR results are not 100% accurate and the count is actually over the acceptable range you could literally bleed to death from a shaving nick.  

Why would anyone trust a home testing kit on a cruiseship with limited medical capability?  Our doctor insists that the blood be drawn by a medical professional and the results read by an accredited lab.  My husband switched to another blood thinner that does not require INR testing and is much safer and more reliable.   Yes, it’s very expensive  but our insurance plan covers it.  I hope the OP gets the advice they Ned from their doctor and not here on CC or on the phone with a Princess rep.

• Like 1

The medical center is well equipped. I would not be surprised if they can test for this. Remember, they provide care for all of the crew too and may need to monitor INRs for some staff. As far as reading the x-rays go, those are sent digitally to radiologists on shore to interpret. Generally not done by the ships physicians.

The OP does say which country they are from nor where they are cruising as the way in which INR readings are interpreted differs in some countries meaning that it is not always easy to get a comparable reading.

Some years ago my wife needed to have an INR test whilst in the USA and, being from the UK, it took about a day for the medical centre to find someone who could convert it from the US system to the UK system.

(And yes I do what the "I" stands for)

• Like 1

While I am sure all of these replies are well meaning, please keep in mind your medical conditions, prescriptions and opinions are not necessarily applicable to the OP. The only person who should be advising him is his own doctor who can offer the best plan of action in cooperation with the ship’s medical personnel and capabilities. It always makes me uncomfortable when I see strangers offering other people medical advice on a message board. OP, please stick to guidance from your personal physician and hopefully you can get the information you need about the ship’s laboratory capabilities via the web address provided. Wishing you healthy cruising!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

While I am sure all of these replies are well meaning, please keep in mind your medical conditions, prescriptions and opinions are not necessarily applicable to the OP. The only person who should be advising him is his own doctor who can offer the best plan of action in cooperation with the ship’s medical personnel and capabilities. It always makes me uncomfortable when I see strangers offering other people medical advice on a message board. OP, please stick to guidance from your personal physician and hopefully you can get the information you need about the ship’s laboratory capabilities via the web address provided. Wishing you healthy cruising!

Exactly.  Warfarin and INR testing is nothing to be played around with.  My husband has been dealing with this for 14 years and was in critical condition once due to an inaccurate INR test.  The only people the OP should be consulting is their cardiologist or family physician. 

• Like 2

In same same position on Island Princess for 6 weeks and am on Warfarin.Having my blood done 2 days before I fly.Not going to worry about the NRI.BUT will watch my alcohol input and will eat more  Vit K.Spinach omelette every second morning.More Broccoli etc.Alcohol will affect so moderation in everything.We board in Novand get off in Jan.Hope this helps!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, loerie said:

In same same position on Island Princess for 6 weeks and am on Warfarin.Having my blood done 2 days before I fly.Not going to worry about the NRI.BUT will watch my alcohol input and will eat more  Vit K.Spinach omelette every second morning.More Broccoli etc.Alcohol will affect so moderation in everything.We board in Novand get off in Jan.Hope this helps!

My husband’s cardiologist told him to eat less Vitamin K and to restrict spinach.  However, you would have to eat a great quantity to really make an effect.  As long as you have been testing within the normal range for the past few months, you should have no problem.  My husband was just fine.  Have a wonderful cruise!