Solo cruising

sunsetme

The biggest problem for me is that some lines don’t want to book solos.  Do a dummy booking for 2, all is fine.  Decrease to one, and everything is sold out.   Haven’t tried it on Princess, but had trouble on MSC, Carnival, Celebrity.  EM

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

Biggest issue for me is the cost. I know why the cost must be what it is but I do struggle to justify what amounts to double the cost per person. If it was cheaper, with just a small premium over the 2-persons sharing price, then I would likely cruise most often as a solo. My DW and I often holiday apart... we find it allows us to be on our own occasionally which I need to stay sane sometimes!

To give you an idea of what I mean... a couple of years ago I flew around the world on my own over 9 days and 11 flights! What a treat for me. If I could have done a 9 day cruise for anything like a similar price I would have snapped it up.

I never seem to have any trouble doing a solo booking.  On Princess I pay double, so I choose a Luxury Inside Suite.  On Royal Caribbean I can cruise solo for 150 percent of the basic PP fare.  Haven't tried solo on other lines because SWMBO tags along on HAL, Celebrity, and Viking when the itinerary is interesting.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I never seem to have any trouble doing a solo booking.  On Princess I pay double, so I choose a Luxury Inside Suite.  On Royal Caribbean I can cruise solo for 150 percent of the basic PP fare.  Haven't tried solo on other lines because SWMBO tags along on HAL, Celebrity, and Viking when the itinerary is interesting.

Would you mind enlightening me where you find a LUXURY inside suite on Princess.  Or were you just joking?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sunsetme said:

It's been a long time since I cruised as a solo but right now DH is laid up with Achilles heel post surgery. He won;t be able to cruise for some time, thinking about cruising as a solo again. Recent experiences?

I cruise solo all the time. I'm Cruising solo RIGHT NOW, thought not on Princess.  My last solo cruise on Princess was in April. They've all been great in their own ways. What do you want to know?

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The biggest problem for me is that some lines don’t want to book solos.  Do a dummy booking for 2, all is fine.  Decrease to one, and everything is sold out.   Haven’t tried it on Princess, but had trouble on MSC, Carnival, Celebrity.  EM

I've never had any problem booking the cabins I want online on Celebrity, Carnival, or Princess. YMMV.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Would you mind enlightening me where you find a LUXURY inside suite on Princess.  Or were you just joking?

Just joking.  After a long Harley trip when I camp out about a third of the time, an inside on a cruise ship is indeed a Luxury Inside Suite.

It's all about perspective. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Biggest issue for me is the cost. I know why the cost must be what it is but I do struggle to justify what amounts to double the cost per person.

Yeah I twist it around in my brain to be "room cost = ×" just like hotel rooms. Most hotels don't discount for single occupancy but do add an extra fee for 3rd & 4th person. That said, I book A LOT when lines reduce the solo supplement 

If I didn't travel solo I wouldn't be traveling and that's not happening 

• Like 6

Most of my cruises have been as a solo. I truly enjoy it and even have a web blog with posts about safety and other helpful tidbits. Princess is an excellent choice for a solo cruise. I have two solo sailings already booked for next year. I’m sure you will have a lovely cruise. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

okay what do you do with your stuff at the beach?

I have a plastic waterproof bag for phone, cards, money.

When I travel with others, we are usually all in the water at the same time.