Bring own 1 cup coffee maker onboard?

KKB

The issue with hair care items is that no cruise line could survive the PR hit. From strictly a safety standpoint, sure they'd like them 'limited'. But there's zero chance their customer base would accept it.

A few years ago, my wife accidentally set off our cabin smoke detector with her hair dryer. Perhaps some old strands in the brush bristle? We will actually never know. Yes, the stewards all ran to our door and the actual fireman in his red coverall was there in 2 minutes just to verify that it was 'nothing'. It must happen occasionally as they were all very respectful and courteous but obviously they all had a job to do and a cabin to inspect. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jsglow said:

The issue with hair care items is that no cruise line could survive the PR hit. From strictly a safety standpoint, sure they'd like them 'limited'. But there's zero chance their customer base would accept it. 

I believe you are right.  My recollection is that one of the major lines (NCL, maybe?) tried banning hair care items some years ago, and the backlash was swift.  The captain had reason to fear an angry mob of women.  The policy was quickly scrapped - or maybe never even implemented. 

1 hour ago, simplelife said:

How about bringing a French Press and ordering a pot of hot water (like you would for tea) from room service? 

That is exactly what I wrote earlier. I have a small 1 cup serving french press made out of plastic. Takes up very little room and i can easily take it with me or order hot water from room service.  Incidentally, I am looking at booking a Sun Princess future cruise and I noticed a coffee pot in their pictures of the new rooms. This is a big draw for me! 

Edited by shiner6
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, mz-s said:

Carnival has an extensive list of things you cannot bring onboard on their website. I suggest you read it.

Things with heating elements (like a coffee maker) are not allowed.

I just did a video on Prohibited items. BUT…I have an item that I want to bring to my Antarctica cruise, and I can’t figure out if its prohibited or not. Its a Hand Warmer, which obviously has a heating part to it BUT it is not technically electrical, since you “charge” it with a USB cord. What do you all think?  And here’s my video—turns out, I’ve taken a few prohibited items along with me on cruises in my past, but I know better now.

And sorry how huge my video link is…I wish I could adjust that.  “See” y’all later this week for my LIVE! thread on the Celebration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, dallasdan said:

On our cruise last week, one of our friends was telling someone they bring a one cup Keurig machine on the cruise.  Based on the above statements I am surprised it didn't get confiscated.

I have neither the time or inclination to fill my suitcases with all the items i have at home that i likely wont find on my vacation.  People will want to pack their own steaks next.  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They are allowed , but Hair dryers, flat irons and curling irons all make nasty tasting coffee🤪

I suspect a flat iron/curling iron could do OK. I've made good tasting coffee with a clothes iron. Just have yo have good beans/water.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:55 AM, e150club said:

A one cup coffee pot uses a lot less wattage then a blow dryer or flat iron. 

A typical blow dryer uses about 6x as much power as a one cup, about 2.5x as much as a 5 cup, and about 25% more than a full size drip coffee maker.

8 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Its a Hand Warmer, which obviously has a heating part to it BUT it is not technically electrical, since you “charge” it with a USB cord.

I hate to break it to you but USB power is still electrical power, associated with a battery for storage at an unknown internal voltage and current discharge capability.

Is it "high voltage" / "mains voltage" level, i.e. 120VAC or higher?  No.  But things can still go wrong.

But: since we can all bring on Bluetooth speakers (as long as we're not obnoxious in their usage) that use similar USB-LiIon battery tech, then the hand warmer is probably still in that classification of low power LiIon device.

I guess you could bring it and if it gets confiscated you'll just get it back at the end of the cruise.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

On 11/20/2023 at 12:28 AM, PayneAS said:

Most (all?) flat irons, curling irons, etc, have auto-off built in so they don't start fires (anymore). Coffee pots generally don't. 

Every UL listed coffee maker sold has an overheat cutoff. In cheap coffee makers, the element is non-resetting (if it trips, you have to replace the coffee maker).

8 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Its a Hand Warmer, which obviously has a heating part to it BUT it is not technically electrical, since you “charge” it with a USB cord. What do you all think?

It's technically electrical. Batteries generate electricity.

38 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I have neither the time or inclination to fill my suitcases with all the items i have at home that i likely wont find on my vacation.  People will want to pack their own steaks next.  🤣

I totally agree.

...but I do get the inclination to bring a coffee maker, because the coffee is SOOO horrible. I just suffer with it for a week - but man, that coffee makes the worst truck stop swill seem gourmet.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I totally agree.

...but I do get the inclination to bring a coffee maker, because the coffee is SOOO horrible. I just suffer with it for a week - but man, that coffee makes the worst truck stop swill seem gourmet.

We get Cheers, so the specialty coffees from Java Blue etc are included.  That's how we survive: I make at least one trip upon waking to the nearest espresso-machine installation (might be a bar!) and get lattes, cappuccinos, Café Americanos, or whatever we feel like.  If I don't make another trip to "refill", we grab another as we start our day wandering the ship or grabbing breakfast.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3

On 11/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, Travelling2Some said:

If (and I don't know!) the heating element in a (forbidden) one cup Keurig is the same size as a curling iron or flat iron (allowed) how is that fair to those of us are more interested in a decent cup of coffee than our hairdo? 

The simple answer is this isn't a law from a municipal, state or national jurisdiction. It is a policy/rule your host has in place. Their ship, their cruise contract and we agree to abide by at registration wit their ability to enforce.
 I am not trying to be mean, but they don't have to be fair. Carnival and the balance of the cruise industry have policies that vary between lines.
 Carnival allows me to take a ham radio handheld. I use a digital one on what is called DMR and it works amazing. Royal Caribbean does not. 

Your mileage may vary.

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I hate to break it to you but USB power is still electrical power, associated with a battery for storage at an unknown internal voltage and current discharge capability.

Is it "high voltage" / "mains voltage" level, i.e. 120VAC or higher?  No.  But things can still go wrong.

But: since we can all bring on Bluetooth speakers (as long as we're not obnoxious in their usage) that use similar USB-LiIon battery tech, then the hand warmer is probably still in that classification of low power LiIon device.

I guess you could bring it and if it gets confiscated you'll just get it back at the end of the cruise.

Edited 4 hours ago by ProgRockCruiser

This makes sense to me! 

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

Hubby and I are useless without a decent espresso coffee in the morning. On Venezia, it was so easy for us with the espresso machine right by our room in the Terrazza area. On Excel class ships, we try to find the closest machine that is NOT Java Blue (long lines!) often that has been the Havana Bar as we often have our room on 9th floor.  THis week’s trip, we are in a 12th floor balcony, so I have NO idea where the coffee stop will be!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheckersMidwest said:

Nothing with a heating element allowed in the cabins . It's against Fire Code.

That just isn't true.

Hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons are all allowed.

Hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons all have heating elements.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:38 PM, rbelshaw said:

True, but at least the flat iron makes a great grilled cheese....

I always grind some of my preferred the night before I leave home and pack a one cup Melita kit. I "borrow" a carafe from the first day room service, which I fill with hot water at the lido. This has always served me well on other lines, but on the Miracle the water was never hot enough to make a good brew when I got back to my room. Might be the plastic carafe, or perhaps the ship keeps the temps down to "insure the safety and well-being" of the pax.

It's still better than the bilge water served on board. 

I think I can make due with this--ordered a dupe & some filters from Amazon.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, mz-s said:

Carnival has an extensive list of things you cannot bring onboard on their website. I suggest you read it.

Things with heating elements (like a coffee maker) are not allowed.

A French Press does not have a  heating element

On 11/20/2023 at 12:28 AM, PayneAS said:

Most (all?) flat irons, curling irons, etc, have auto-off built in so they don't start fires (anymore). Coffee pots generally don't. 

On 11/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, simplelife said:

How about bringing a French Press and ordering a pot of hot water (like you would for tea) from room service? 

My problem with guests bringing a french press, is the grounds left over after you have your coffee.  If you do this, please bring a supply of ziplock bags to put the grounds in.  They should not be flushed down the toilet, nor should they be put loose in the trash can.  The cabin steward has to hand sort all garbage, so this mess really causes problems.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, aborgman said:

A typical blow dryer uses about 6x as much power as a one cup, about 2.5x as much as a 5 cup, and about 25% more than a full size drip coffee maker.

The problem is not the wattage, it is the possibility of overheating and starting a fire.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, aborgman said:

Every UL listed coffee maker sold has an overheat cutoff. In cheap coffee makers, the element is non-resetting (if it trips, you have to replace the coffee maker).

And the most common failure of a coffee maker is the "auto-off" switch, even UL listed units.

On 11/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, TravelBluebird said:

I just did a video on Prohibited items. BUT…I have an item that I want to bring to my Antarctica cruise, and I can’t figure out if its prohibited or not. Its a Hand Warmer, which obviously has a heating part to it BUT it is not technically electrical, since you “charge” it with a USB cord.

I'm certain you won't be going to Antarctica on Carnival Cruise Line. I brought rechargeable hand warmers with me on a Celebrity Antarctica cruise and nobody said anything. My laptop can generate a lot of heat, too.