How do you feel about sailing on MSC's oldest ships?

Stockjock

Even though many of MSC's ports seem pretty repetitive, from time-to-time, I see interesting sailings on some of MSC's oldest ships, such as Opera, Sinfonia, Armonia, Lirica, etc.  But I'm hesitant to book those, as the ships are quite old and I want an excellent onboard experience in terms of the ship.  I don't suspect that ships that are 20-25 years old can deliver that experience.

Am I wrong?  Your thoughts?

We sailed on Armonia in 2019, after sailing Divina and Seaside.  We found the ambiance to be much subdued from the other ships.  At the CC meet & green the officers said MSC intended it that way.  Lots of open lounges with grouped seating, hoping guests would socialize.   Two things were odd.  The MDR was aft and had an elevator bank coming down in the middle, so the dining room was effectively divided in half.  But there was another elevator bank in the rear so people were continuously walking through.  The other was the atmosphere.  By that I mean temp and humidity.  Our cabin, an OV, was too cool, but also extremely humid.  If you increased the temp the humidity became even more obvious.  I mean, when they deliver the ads to your cs in, leave them sit on your desk and soon when you pick them up, they drape over your hand.  You rinse things out and they don’t dry.  The oldest three of those ships were built without balconies, except for the suites.  Balconies were tacked on the outside of OV cabins, just like Carnival did the Fantasy class.  All cabins were the same size.  And when they added the balconies, they lengthened the ships, and I feel the humidity problem was an inadequate joining of the ventilation systems.  We could walk outside our cabin and walk forward and it was like walking into a different climatic zone of temp and humidity.
  But I would sail them again for the right itinerary.  EM

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We sailed on Armonia in 2019, after sailing Divina and Seaside.  We found the ambiance to be much subdued from the other ships.  At the CC meet & green the officers said MSC intended it that way.  Lots of open lounges with grouped seating, hoping guests would socialize.   Two things were odd.  The MDR was aft and had an elevator bank coming down in the middle, so the dining room was effectively divided in half.  But there was another elevator bank in the rear so people were continuously walking through.  The other was the atmosphere.  By that I mean temp and humidity.  Our cabin, an OV, was too cool, but also extremely humid.  If you increased the temp the humidity became even more obvious.  I mean, when they deliver the ads to your cs in, leave them sit on your desk and soon when you pick them up, they drape over your hand.  You rinse things out and they don’t dry.  The oldest three of those ships were built without balconies, except for the suites.  Balconies were tacked on the outside of OV cabins, just like Carnival did the Fantasy class.  All cabins were the same size.  And when they added the balconies, they lengthened the ships, and I feel the humidity problem was an inadequate joining of the ventilation systems.  We could walk outside our cabin and walk forward and it was like walking into a different climatic zone of temp and humidity.
  But I would sail them again for the right itinerary.  EM

Divina is the oldest MSC ship I've sailed on, which I enjoyed.  This was in 2016, so it wasn't that old at the time.  But some of those ships are much older.  

22 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Even though many of MSC's ports seem pretty repetitive, from time-to-time, I see interesting sailings on some of MSC's oldest ships, such as Opera, Sinfonia, Armonia, Lirica, etc.  But I'm hesitant to book those, as the ships are quite old and I want an excellent onboard experience in terms of the ship.  I don't suspect that ships that are 20-25 years old can deliver that experience.

Am I wrong?  Your thoughts?

Back in April of 2019, we sailed on Sinfonia, 12 night Mediterranean.  We were in a “suite” on deck 12, which was basically an Aires balcony cabin. We did have a separate dining area, but ate dinner in the main dining room, and the Top Sail on deck 13, no pool though.

The buffet on deck 11 was small, but the had burgers that reminded me of McD’s.

The theater shows were goof, but repeated after day 7.

My favorite bar was the Irish Pub, which also included a limited food menu.

I would not hesitate to book Sinfonia, but the older, smaller ships don’t offer all of the amenities that you might be looking for!!

• Like 1

We sailed on Lirica in April and have previously sailed on Orchestra. We love the more intimate ambience. The ships don't have the glitzy appearance of the new ships and certainly not the amenities of anything any newer. We're fine with that but if that's something you're looking for, it may not be for you. 

• Like 2

We went on the Armonia when she was doing the Cuba runs and absolutely LOVED it.

Our cabin #9001 was right at the front of the ship and had a great view and is bigger than average.

The ship was in great condition, I had fun trying to find the new section. You can just about spot it inside the hall ways.

The crew made it even better, had the most fun on any cruise, EVER.

Could the ship itself be boring, probably but I would absolutely book it again if it came back to Florida.

• Like 2

We sailed on the Armonia two times while still in America years ago, enjoyed the ship and experience and would cruise on her again. Actually had another cruise booked on her as she was being moved to Tampa but then the shutdown hit. Have been on several other MSC ships and the Armonia does not have the “glam” of those ships. Armonia is definitely an “old” ship experience, if that’s what you are looking for. We never had any issues on her, great crew, service, etc. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cellfree said:

Actually had another cruise booked on her as she was being moved to Tampa but then the shutdown hit.

Us too.

MSC were idiots with these cancellations, it was obvious that Armonia was still in Italy and had no chance of making it here to run the first cruise.

I called and asked several times and was told everything was fine. Last call was around a week before, it would have had to hitch a ride with Dr Who in the Tardis to make it...."everything is fine" said the rep.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, Stockjock said:

But I'm hesitant to book those, as the ships are quite old and I want an excellent onboard experience in terms of the ship.  I don't suspect that ships that are 20-25 years old can deliver that experience.

Certainly they can. They deliver the MSC experience as the new ships do. No MSC class is perfect or bad. All have advantages and disadvantages. The old Lirica class does not exist anymore, these ships were cut in half and rebuilt. Sailed on it before and after, certainly not the same, but both times not much to complain.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:07 PM, quattrohead said:

We went on the Armonia when she was doing the Cuba runs and absolutely LOVED it.

Same here, on Armonia from Havana, what a brilliant cruise this was. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 1

I was on the Opera May last year, because they swapped her with Fantasia after I booked. We did get € 200 OBC as compensation, but still I was hesitant. I was actually the OBC that got me to keep my booking, and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. Of course she has fewer amenities and smaller cabins, but I had a great week.

• Like 3

The oldest of this class is MSC Armonia which was built in 2001. The last drydock was March 2022. MSC has a policy to continue using their ships until they are are retired from service and scrapped. That way they are not available to the second-hand market and thus competition for MSC cruises in their particular market.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I'll be on World Europa soon.  You didn't care for it?

The ship has some flaws that contributes to crowding.  In general, it's just too big with too many people for us.  I know I'm comfortable up to the Seaside-class size.  The World-class is a size to far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

The oldest of this class is MSC Armonia which was built in 2001. The last drydock was March 2022. MSC has a policy to continue using their ships until they are are retired from service and scrapped. That way they are not available to the second-hand market and thus competition for MSC cruises in their particular market.

Interesting to hear Armonia was in Drydock March 2022, I would be happy if MSC brought her back to America. 

• Like 1

Just sailed Sinfonia in October with a S2S on Seashore, Fantastica inside then Fantastica balcony.  These were my first MSC cruises.  I found the service to be mostly equal with the exception of a disinterested and unfriendly senior staff on Sinfonia and disembarkation issues for all of us going to to Seashore. I also, oddly,  witnessed more than once, the bar staff bickering loudly with each other. 

Sinfonia has the edge on the buffet and MDR in terms of food quality, perhaps because its more easily controlled with fewer passengers? Buffet layout was also far better than Seashore.  Main theater was good, entertainment in the rest of the lounges was fine, but, always scheduled at the exact same times so when one was on break, you couldn't find music at another.

But, Sinfonia was tired, really tired.  Peeling desktop in my cabin and chipped and cracked tile in my bathroom, carpet seams that were so frayed that they just sort of flapped around creating tripping hazards, places at the stretch points where the flooring actually felt like it flexed when you stepped on it, and more broken than fully functional deck chairs.  The rear elevator into the middle of the dining room making the MDR a pass through was so strange.  It just wasn't an attractive ship at all with the water feature in the 2 deck atrium even looking like it needed a good scrubbing to make it white again. To summarize, it would have to be on fire sale with a busy and interesting itinerary for me to consider booking her again. 😢

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, Selion said:

The ship has some flaws that contributes to crowding.  In general, it's just too big with too many people for us.  I know I'm comfortable up to the Seaside-class size.  The World-class is a size to far.

Interesting to hear that. We saw the MSC World Europa last month while docked in Malta, and it's gargantuan! Our upcoming cruise next month is on the Seashore, which I think is the same size as the Seaside (our first MSC cruise, in 2018). World class might also be too much for us.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Interesting to hear that. We saw the MSC World Europa last month while docked in Malta, and it's gargantuan! Our upcoming cruise next month is on the Seashore, which I think is the same size as the Seaside (our first MSC cruise, in 2018). World class might also be too much for us.

It is gargantuan, and not for the better!  In hindsight I'm happy that I've never cruised on any of the RCL's Oasis-class ships.

Anyhow, airing my grievances here:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=709011

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:30 AM, Selion said:

It seems as if the general trend is to make many new cruise ships forever larger.  And while I haven't yet sailed on World Europa (soon though), I sense that the cruise lines may be reaching the point where they've maxed out, practically speaking, in terms of the size.

I think that in a perfect world, I prefer a newer, or very well maintained, ship that's around 2,500 passenger capacity, plus or minus.  Although certainly, I've had a nice time on ships with a much larger capacity.

• Like 2

Our next 2 trips are on World Europa and then Lirica, which is just about opposite ends of the MSC scale. I'm looking forward to both, to be honest, as they'll be very different experiences.  Watching ship tours etc has me not expecting Europa to be massively different from Euribia, our last trip.

Only thing that I marked down the old Armonia-class ships is that from certain unkind angles they have a bit of a car-ferry look to them - and we wouldn't see that when we're on board.  Otherwise I'm all for the different experiences that smaller ships offer. 

On 12/5/2023 at 6:19 PM, Selion said:

It is gargantuan, and not for the better!  In hindsight I'm happy that I've never cruised on any of the RCL's Oasis-class ships.

Anyhow, airing my grievances here:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=709011

We loved the size of World Europa.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Opera. This is the oldest ship and smallest ship I've sailed on. (Sailed on Preziosa, Grandiosa and Virtuosa).

When I first boarded, I was totally underwhelmed. The atrium area just looks like a generic hotel lobby. You had none of the sense of scale you have on the bigger ships.

However when I got over that, the ship itself is really well maintained. (The buffet looked incredibly dated though). I had an Aurea suite on deck 12 which led onto the main pool deck 11. The aurea solarium was just up a flight of stairs. Without doubt best cabin I've stayed in. By the end of the holiday  I totally loved the Opera.

The crew worked so incredibly hard and actually seemed happy. You could see them interacting with each other and being playful. The entertainment staff were aleays there engaging with passengers. The service in the restaurant was more attentive and smooth that id ever had at sea. You really felt you were in a restaurant and not a ship MDR. 

I'd definitely consider an older ship again. The trade off of 'less sparkle and scale' but a more personal and intimate service is worth considering. Happy to answer any questions people may have as I was excited for the UAE itinerary but not the ship itself.

• Like 3