Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I really liked the Seaview Cafe.

Me too!  Good seafood, and some of the best Onion Rings ever!  Loved the little tables along the railing outside.  Still a couple 4 tops under the cover...but all loungers along the railing now. 

• Like 2

Just now, island lady said:

We are currently just over 2 degrees north of the equator.  Bucky has been south of it...but I have not. Should pass over it tonight.   Should I get another earring?  Arrrg...me maties!  Or is that just a Navy thing?  😉  😄 

I sure hope they give you some kind of fun ceremony.  It's a nautical tradition to celebrate crossing the equator and the Arctic Circle.  Fingers crossed for you !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Continuing our tour, and our favorite early happy hour spot:   The (used to be) revolving bar in the VCL.   Did work on Jewel the last time we were on board that ship, but does not work here (of which there seems to be more than one thing that does not work on Serenade 😞 ).  

20231224_070524.jpg

20231224_070452.jpg

We've only sailed Serenade once, back in 2018.  I don't remember the bar rotating back then either.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed...we love taking the stairs...which takes me a bit longer since I also love to check out the art work along the way.  🙂  

Cold weather cruising is not new to us, as we have done Alaska many times (and have it booked again).  But I think the area of Antarctica will be much colder than the times we did Alaska.

We have dragged along a lot of cold weather clothing...so hopefully will keep us warm enough, and can always dash back into the ship for a hot soup 🍵, or better yet...a nice warming adult beverage.  😉  🍷

We have a tour booked to see the Penguins down there. 🐧

Don't think the  actual temperature will be that bad, low 40's but it might be the 20kt to 30 kt Winds you will have around Cape Horn which will really make it feel cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

I sure hope they give you some kind of fun ceremony.  It's a nautical tradition to celebrate crossing the equator and the Arctic Circle.  Fingers crossed for you !

Thanks!  Have another cruise line booked that does the "blue nose ceremony" when you cross the Arctic circle.  I think they do something  on this ship as well.  And if we are lucky...we cross the Antarctic circle as long as weather permits....so says Captain Stig.  😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We've only sailed Serenade once, back in 2018.  I don't remember the bar rotating back then either.  

Will be back on Radiance next year...can't remember if it worked there either.  I think it is probably very annoying to the bartender there...since they have to wait for it to spin enough to climb through the "rabbit hole" on the one end.  😉 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I misread this and thought you were asking if Bucky could fix you. 🤣  Didn't make any sense as there is absolutely nothing broken about you.

LOL...oh yeah there is...but Bucky definitely not able to fix me.  😄  After going through a broken back, and breaking both feet (left foot on Brilliance first night of a 7 night cruise) he couldn't fix that either.  😲 🤭

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Don't think the  actual temperature will be that bad, low 40's but it might be the 20kt to 30 kt Winds you will have around Cape Horn which will really make it feel cold.

We went from LA around SA to Buenos Aires in 2017. Temperatures and weather can change as you navigate through the fjords and straits within minutes. It can get very cold and windy, however, the weather is completely unpredictable and hopefully you'll be lucky with milder temps. The waters around Cape Horn can be very rough. We were lucky to have an unusually calm day when we passed around. I believe you'll be navigating around the Cape from East to West so the currents might be a little more challenging. West to East can be more forgiving, but the Captain will be well aware and make the appropriate decisions with his course. Definitely take a penguin excursion! We took one in the Falklands and it was fabulous! We'll be leaving on Island Princess WC Jan 4 (short for 111 days compared to yours!) Enjoy your adventures and Happy Holidays to All! 

IMG_2846.jpeg

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Have another cruise line booked that does the "blue nose ceremony" when you cross the Arctic circle.  I think they do something  on this ship as well.  And if we are lucky...we cross the Antarctic circle as long as weather permits....so says Captain Stig.  😉 

Did the blue nose ceremony in the Voyager last September on the Iceland/Greenland TA. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sure, but I believe a lot of families from Miami are doing the first quarter, coming back home from LA.  Last night large family pushed their way into the elevator, all trying to carry multiple plates of food, and one toddler a large smoothie or something.  Yeah, he dropped it...splash.  Became a lake in the small elevator.  What a mess...then of course they all dashed away quick at the next stop.  

UGGHHH!

• Like 1

Cabin attendant just came by to give us this special card stock menu for Xmas Eve. dinner tonight.  It's formal night tonight.  Thinking of trying the Beef Wellington...though I usually love Turkey for Xmas Eve. dinner. 🙂 I think most will go for the Ham.  

20231224_120009.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Me too!  Good seafood, and some of the best Onion Rings ever!  Loved the little tables along the railing outside.  Still a couple 4 tops under the cover...but all loungers along the railing now. 

We also miss the Seaview Cafe.   That aft area is now my go to for peace and quiet when reading and sunbathing

• Like 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

We also miss the Seaview Cafe.   That aft area is now my go to for peace and quiet when reading and sunbathing

That is where Bucky is right now, doing his usual afternoon reading on that back upper deck.  Me, I stay out of the sun, and am happy with my feet up reading a book in the cabin.  🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Cabin attendant just came by to give us this special card stock menu for Xmas Eve. dinner tonight.  It's formal night tonight.  Thinking of trying the Beef Wellington...though I usually love Turkey for Xmas Eve. dinner. 🙂 I think most will go for the Ham.  

20231224_120009.jpg

I vote for Beef Wellington.   Maybe you can get turkey for dinner on Christmas day?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, island lady said:

20231224_120009.jpg

That menu is very similar to the one we had on Thanksgiving on Serenade a few weeks ago. I had the Beef Wellington and it was delicious. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Edited by kernow
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, island lady said:

Uggh...is right.  Some really spoiled children on this cruise.  🤨

Well, let's look at the people with small children who can afford to take them on a really long trip.  Probably always give their kids what they want because they can.  It would be interesting to find out something about the families traveling with children.  If I have to guess, they pretty much never tell them no, unfortunately.

That menu looks pretty good.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I don't recall a ceremony when we crossed the equator on Celebrity Infinity (Port Everglades to Valparaiso, Chile).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

I don't recall a ceremony when we crossed the equator on Celebrity Infinity (Port Everglades to Valparaiso, Chile).

We had one on Splendour in 2015(Santos to Barcelona) so RCL have done it.

38 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Beef Wellington is on our menu (AD) for tomorrow night (Christmas).  Never had it so I’m gonna try it.

I seem to remember it offered in 150?  Or was it Chops.  Indeed, not even sure if I have had it..but if I did, had to be years ago.  Always fun to try new things.  🥰

55 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I vote for Beef Wellington.   Maybe you can get turkey for dinner on Christmas day?

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Mmmm...decisions decisions...but I agree with you!  😋

I vote for Windjammer cheeseburgers. 🍔 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 7