Is Glass Blowing Class Worth It?

cowpokes

We are sailing on Celebrity Solstice 11 day repositioning   cruise Hawaii to Vancouver April 2024.  The glass blowing class is offered as a 20 minute experience for 100.00+ .   Wonder if anyone has taken this class and did you feel that the experience/souvenir was worth it!  

DH and I did participate the glass blowing class both pre-covid and this past September!!   We thoroughly enjoyed making (with the assistance of a trained professional) our souvenirs.  DH made a glass flower (looks like an Angels' Trumpet blossom) and I made a white pumpkin.  (I made an orange one pre-covid and thought I'd try a different color😜).  We paid in advance (online) and was glad we did because I wanted to make a second item so I joined a waitlist once onboard and I never got called.....this is a VERY popular class!!  If you pay in advance, on Embarkation day (later in the afternoon) check to see what times the classes are being offered.  You will have a better selection that will fit your plans; delaying a day may lesson your choices.  (We are planning to sign up for that class on our 2025 cruise!!)

We have done the class and loved it!

The artisans do help, but you do get a decent amount of hands on time. There is a display cabinet showing what items you can make (if you search you might find a photo). Your $100 is applied to the cost of the piece you select. If it is more than $100 you pay the difference.

They will wrap up your piece in bubblewrap, but I would suggest you bring it on the plane as a carry-on (if you are flying). The piece needs to cool overnight, so the last class will be the morning before you disembark.

My creation!

IMG_1671.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

DW has done this on each of our three Equinox cruises. She loved it! Purchase it online for the precruise discount and schedule more or less as soon as you can onboard. Unless you're driving home, seriously recommend looking at the "solid glass" options: paperweights, starfish, jelly fish, etc. Much less likely to break on the trip home!

We have also done it.  Would do it again. Great experience.  Husband made the large scalloped bowl, and I made the piece that looks like a water glass to place on our desk for pens. Take advantage while they still offer it.

10 hours ago, cowpokes said:

We are sailing on Celebrity Solstice 11 day repositioning   cruise Hawaii to Vancouver April 2024.  The glass blowing class is offered as a 20 minute experience for 100.00+ .   Wonder if anyone has taken this class and did you feel that the experience/souvenir was worth it!  

I have sailed multiple times on Celebrity S class ships.  Last time on the Equinox I decided to make something at the glass blowing studio.  It was wonderful!  Didn't expect to make such a nice Glass paperweight or have such a special souvenir.  Great to try at least once on your cruise.  

When the glass blowing was introduced on the ship years ago, the sessions were too long,  for many to sit on hot bench seats - but they did have a raffle and gave away prizes to some who were in attendance. 

12 hours ago, cowpokes said:

We have done it several times pre-COVID when it was significantly cheaper.  We thought it was well worth it.

IMG_20230623_114042.thumb.jpg.ab3efa3edf38be7e5ef8b8025b9234ba.jpg

IMG_20230623_114047.thumb.jpg.f378cc3891f6e4813b1913293ea1d68a.jpg

IMG_20230623_114058.thumb.jpg.1ba7cd34efcbe0a82b21c3a9d78f945b.jpg

These photos were taken on our Eclipse Alaska cruise this summer. I thought that the whale tail was beautiful. 🐳

They did have some  ready made pieces for sale too and I'll post if I find a photo of them. They were rather large (if you were flying home) if I remember correctly. @cowpokes I know you are on Solstice but they may give you an insight into the sort of things you can make and the prices to expect. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Great fun. Here are some of my pieces I've made.IMG_20181104_201817443.thumb.jpg.78dcd070dc86ff1bc4efe838cf670e05.jpgbowl.thumb.jpg.db4555b3b27bc4cbb7b2b2c740e5d641.jpgjellyfish.thumb.jpg.f02cdcaa69e36ccb804da5e7b38153b7.jpg313916535_5930380963672692_6417532554776722508_n.thumb.jpg.3cba67dfd95c68ec08b71dd9ef639fef.jpgglass.thumb.jpg.6ab297036c2658c9845f1668d65c4a9a.jpg

You have made some beautiful art!! I was thinking about booking this for our cruise next year and wondering if you’ve seen any better sales than the 5% off that they have now??

Does anyone know how much the whale tail costs?  Or even the wave next to it - those both might be a good souvenir of our upcoming Antartica trip!

I was on Equinox 10 years ago and was fascinated watching the shows.  I'm disappointed to have to pay to do it now, but still thinking that will be my souvenir from the trip.   

By all the pics people have posted, I'm assuming they travel ok?  

18 minutes ago, saffy12 said:

Does anyone know how much the whale tail costs?  Or even the wave next to it - those both might be a good souvenir of our upcoming Antartica trip!

I was on Equinox 10 years ago and was fascinated watching the shows.  I'm disappointed to have to pay to do it now, but still thinking that will be my souvenir from the trip.   

By all the pics people have posted, I'm assuming they travel ok?  

It's still free to watch the shows.  These are special sessions for cruise guests to make blown glass items

1 hour ago, sdnich said:

And did I read also that the fee goes towards buying one of the blown glass items?? The cost now on my planner is $113 with 5% off

Yes, the fee includes a piece to take home.  It's really a base price that can go up depending on what you choose to make.  I believe the paper weights are the entry level and it goes up from there.  I made the tidal wave vase and I think it was $140 and then we had another piece commissioned by one of the artisans.  A great way to use up excess OBC!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sdnich said:

And did I read also that the fee goes towards buying one of the blown glass items?? The cost now on my planner is $113 with 5% off

Yes, the fee you pay goes toward the piece you pick. The fee is usually $120, so if you pick a $140 item you owe another $20.

They usually only offer a 5% discount for early booking, but if you call in and tell them you are a Captain's Club member you get another 5% off. Not a lot, but I've not really seen any sales higher than the current 5%. But 10% of $120 is enough for a bigger item! Or you could give your artisan a nice tip!