No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

12 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Well they took fríes away, at least on Mardi Gras and Valor in the last 3 months.  All I wanted was a side of fríes after Guy's had closed, but no such luck.

I went to the deli on the Vista last month and was able to just get fries.

16 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Well they took fríes away, at least on Mardi Gras and Valor in the last 3 months.  All I wanted was a side of fríes after Guy's had closed, but no such luck.

Hmm. I was able to get fries on Magic over Labor Day. They frequently were out and had a line of folks waiting for fries, but they replenished as often as they could.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

On our 2 Mardi Gras cruises they didn't have any sides available.  Just the sandwich.  I remember that on other ships (before the shutdown) they had fries and at least potato salad.  Don't know if that is still the case.  One of the reasons that I didn't care for the Mardi Gras was that the Deli and Pizza place were stand alone.  Guys was, too.  I understand the concept of spreading everyone out and that is a good idea.  However, I found myself wanting to get a slice of pizza or a sandwich along with a small salad many times.  Also, DH might want Guys, but I was in the mood for something else.  When all the venues are on Lido, then people can pick and choose what they want and then still sit together for the meal.         

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I constantly wonder why you even come within 100 feet of the word Carnival. You hate everything.

The "pre-made sandwich" line is a disingenuous way to get people to think it's similar to prepackaged gas station sandwiches. When in reality, the difference is they sometimes they might assemble the ingredients an hour or so before as to spread out the labor. 

Personally, I love the "new deli" menu. The buffalo chicken, meatball, and pastrami are all quite good. Do you honestly believe if it's all slapped together while you stand in line, there's much of a difference? 

don't hate everything - just don't let my brokerage account or the color of my S&S card cloud my judgement.

I feel like my description of the deli is closer to reality than yours. No they're not gas station sandwiches, I never said they were although to be frank the quality probably isn't much higher than that. They're also not just pre-assembled an hour before either. For one thing they're frozen and served to guests still cold inside.

At least that was the experience on the Magic over Labor Day. The Lido on the whole was not good that cruise. MDR was better but not great. I am sure that most of the time the sandwiches are made properly and they're at least warm.

Edited by mz-s

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

When all the venues are on Lido, then people can pick and choose what they want and then still sit together for the meal.         

That's my trick for embarkation day lunch on the Conquest class.... 2 tacos with shrimp and steak from the burrito side of Blue Iguana and a dessert or two on my way to deck 10 above the main buffet area, which people haven't yet discovered.  I get some barbecue there and easily find an empty table.

I bypass the bedlam at the main buffet below and the table hogs who've already eaten but are still taking up tables until staterooms are ready.

• Like 4

I haven't paid much attention to this thread because the omelettes are a non issue for me.  Out of boredom I started reading some of the posts.  It seems to me that the more the cruise lines cut back the more people cruise.  This year was a record year for cruising and next year is predicted to beat out this year.  So it seems the cut backs are having little effect on cruising.  We haven't cruised since 2019.  We had 3 cruises canceled in the following year or so.  We decided to take a few years off and do land based vacays.  Coming back to cruising, it's obvious  cruising isn't what it was.  After our booked May cruised, I doubt we'll be cruising yearly like we previously did.

• Like 1

Re the cruising numbers:  All forms of travel have been through the roof the past couple of years.  I think it is a result of people being cooped up during Covid.  I suspect it will to back to normal levels here in another year or two.

And rude people are everywhere. Not just on cruise ships. I swear, I think people forgot how to behave during the Covid shutdowns.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, yeah it is those darn omelet people.  Oh wait, it is another plain old non related bashing post.  Uu forgot the “I will never sail this line again, but i am still post here portion”…. Which portion of those lovely adjectives you describe do you fit in?  Do you like omelets?

It could also be the "Carnival stinks, here are 50 reasons why, and I have four cruises booked with the next year" person.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

And rude people are everywhere. Not just on cruise ships. I swear, I think people forgot how to behave during the Covid shutdowns.

Yes but everywhere else I am not stuck on a cruise ship with them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yes but everywhere else I am not stuck on a cruise ship with them.

True.  But being stuck in traffic with them isn't any fun either.  And stuck on a plane with them is worse. 

I was on a flight from Edinburgh to London last week and we had to sit for an hour waiting for a gate at Heathrow.  The pilot told everyone to stay in their seats but nonetheless this one lady gets up pulls her bags from my overhead container and hits me in the head with her carry on. Didn't even apologize.  Then she stood in the aisle by my seat for the next hour with her butt in my face.  At one point, bent over to tie her shoe lace and butted me.   Again, didn't apologize.  Saw another passenger push over an elderly lady to get past her.  Is it that hard to say "excuse me, ma'am"?   I was even in first and it didn't matter.

Edited by Eli_6

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Re the cruising numbers:  All forms of travel have been through the roof the past couple of years.  I think it is a result of people being cooped up during Covid.  I suspect it will to back to normal levels here in another year or two.

And why is that?  Seriously, did virus affect peoples' brain in such a manner to reflect behavioral aspects?

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

We were on Vista last week.  (I might do a review post eventually, but all that work I skipped last week has gotten in the way, so just enough time here during a lunch break for a comment on this topic, randomly.)

While omelet options at the Lido omelet station were listed as just the three noted in the OP, I could ask for a combo of "everything" (i.e. ham and the veggies and whatever cheese(s)). Lack of bacon was annoying - I like bacon more than ham in my omelet.

The comments about the deli sandwiches reminded me that someone we met onboard got a meatball sub from the deli, and it was still frozen inside after they sat down to eat it.  That would be disappointing.

From the deli I had a BLT and a Reuben at different times.  The BLT I ordered with extra bacon (remembering from last cruise that one "layer" is woefully inadequate) and was quite satisfying.  The Reuben was OK but not as meaty as I normally like it (and had gotten previously).

Are these changes going to make me switch cruise lines?  No.  But we're not expecting to cruise for a few years now (other priorities in vacation type), and when we return we will be looking hard at which line is offering a competitively-priced package that includes all of our "minimum" and a good handful of "nice to have" features.

Oh, on a positive note, the Emeril's selections on the MDR menu were generally really good, and a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

True.  But being stuck in traffic with them isn't any fun either.  And stuck on a plane with them is worse. 

I was on a flight from Edinburgh to London last week and we had to sit for an hour waiting for a gate at Heathrow.  The pilot told everyone to stay in their seats but nonetheless this one lady gets up pulls her bags from my overhead container and hits me in the head with her carry on. Didn't even apologize.  Then she stood in the aisle by my seat for the next hour with her butt in my face.  At one point, bent over to tie her shoe lace and butted me.   Again, didn't apologize.  Saw another passenger push over an elderly lady to get past her.  Is it that hard to say "excuse me, ma'am"?   I was even in first and it didn't matter.

We live in an entitlement world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

And why is that?  Seriously, did virus affect peoples' brain in such a manner to reflect behavioral aspects?

Certainly appears to be so.  On a serious note, covid changed us all, life as we know it is different and not a better different.  It is more fragile, that has consequences.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

While omelet options at the Lido omelet station were listed as just the three noted in the OP, I could ask for a combo of "everything" (i.e. ham and the veggies and whatever cheese(s)). 

Were the vegetables pre-mixed or could you add only onions, for example?

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I think there are several factors at play, IMHO: 

The biological impact of the virus itself may have changed certain subjects' behavior (for the worse).

The stress of lockdowns and restrictions (whether you agreed with them or not) can have a long term effect, whether or not you caught the virus.

A segment of the population learned throughout this period there are no real consequences for many of your actions, regardless of how callous or detrimental they might be.  Across the board, from "everyday people" to top-level politicians of all stripes, to so-called media/pundits, for almost any action imaginable.  And ignorance has once again become something to be proud of in much of the population: they don't know, and they don't care - about practically everything.

And that's why we can't have nice things like made-to-order omelets with bacon, jalapenos, and swiss cheese.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think there are several factors at play, IMHO: 

The biological impact of the virus itself may have changed certain subjects' behavior (for the worse).

The stress of lockdowns and restrictions (whether you agreed with them or not) can have a long term effect, whether or not you caught the virus.

A segment of the population learned throughout this period there are no real consequences for many of your actions, regardless of how callous or detrimental they might be.  Across the board, from "everyday people" to top-level politicians of all stripes, to so-called media/pundits, for almost any action imaginable.  And ignorance has once again become something to be proud of in much of the population: they don't know, and they don't care - about practically everything.

And that's why we can't have nice things like made-to-order omelets with bacon, jalapenos, and swiss cheese.

While reading your statement, my face was so serious until the last paragraph.  I will try to remember it (so comical !!!).

21 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

There were three separate sources of veggies, IIRC: onions, red/green pepper mix, and tomatoes, and you could get what ever you wanted - all or one or none.

On Celebration last week the three veggies were already mixed together in a bowl and could not order seperate.  Also there was no BLT listed on the deli menu, and my meat on sandwich was cold after being heated,