Is it just me?

Eskylady

So, now if you go to one of the included specialty restaurants a second time there is an eight dollar charge. No biggie, and for the most part well worth it.

The thing that bugs me just a bit is that if you check in, not at a specific restaurant, but for first available, (which also includes the MDR), and they give you a place you've already been they (surprise) charge you eight bucks whether it's your choice or theirs. I totally get it if you pick, but when they do....  it just makes me a little curious what the odds are of not getting placed somewhere they can charge you. 

Again, eight bucks isn't a big deal, just got me thinkin' a little. Thoughts?

Edited by Eskylady
Clarity

I fully expect to see more paid menu items on MDR menus in the future (not just the steakhouse selections, but upcharge apps etc like we see on Seaday brunch menu which is a shadow of its former self). Hours reduced and menu cutbacks as we are seeing and discussing to push people towards the slop line f/k/a buffet. Further reductions in service - wouldn't be surprised to see housekeeping move to every other day or even only once per cruise.

But to convert the MDR into a 100% paid restaurant? I agree, not sure it'll happen any time soon.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I fully expect to see more paid menu items on MDR menus in the future (not just the steakhouse selections, but upcharge apps etc like we see on Seaday brunch menu which is a shadow of its former self). Hours reduced and menu cutbacks as we are seeing and discussing to push people towards the slop line f/k/a buffet. Further reductions in service - wouldn't be surprised to see housekeeping move to every other day or even only once per cruise.

But to convert the MDR into a 100% paid restaurant? I agree, not sure it'll happen any time soon.

Opportunity for revenue enhancements in an industry that was forced closed for a year and a half is something to be expected, and it is industry wide. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Opportunity for revenue enhancements in an industry that was forced closed for a year and a half is something to be expected, and it is industry wide. 

Again with the "but everyone else is doing it too" broken record.

Yes we know the hospitality industry and cruises in particular were subjected to very heavy-handed regulations. That was then, this is now. We are all ready to move on. At least, I am. "I'm just happy to be cruising again" isn't good enough for me anymore.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Eskylady said:

So, now if you go to one of the included specialty restaurants a second time there is an eight dollar charge. No biggie, and for the most part well worth it.

The thing that bugs me just a bit is that if you check in, not at a specific restaurant, but for first available, (which also includes the MDR), and they give you a place you've already been they (surprise) charge you eight bucks whether it's your choice or theirs. I totally get it if you pick, but when they do....  it just makes me a little curious what the odds are of not getting placed somewhere they can charge you. 

Again, eight bucks isn't a big deal, just got me thinkin' a little. Thoughts?

So I have a question regarding this as I have never been on an Excel class ship. Is this an Option on your check-in App to select 'first available'? Are you still able to direct select your venue (such as MDR) and request a table for that venue only? I have NO interest in being directed to a particular venue at their discretion. 

51 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So I have a question regarding this as I have never been on an Excel class ship. Is this an Option on your check-in App to select 'first available'? Are you still able to direct select your venue (such as MDR) and request a table for that venue only? I have NO interest in being directed to a particular venue at their discretion. 

Yes, you can pick.  Some select First Available if they are in a hurry.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Yes we know the hospitality industry and cruises in particular were subjected to very heavy-handed regulations. That was then, this is now. We are all ready to move on. At least, I am. "I'm just happy to be cruising again" isn't good enough for me anymore.

You can decide your thoughts on that, no issue. That was then was 28 billion. If your decision says  tough, not my problem they can go under as a result, so be it.  While cruising might fall under the “hospitality” banner, we both know it was not the same.  One was bailed out, one was not, and even more importantly, was hammered exponentially harder than any other business in the world    Facts, no broken record there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

That's all well and good but people shouldn't switch cruise lines and expect a different result. People that solely criticize Carnival while ignoring the industry wide reality evidently need to be reminded of it. We've cruised 3 times since the restart and feel that Carnival still checks the biggest box of all for us- they are still a good value for our vacation dollar.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

That's all well and good but people shouldn't switch cruise lines and expect a different result. People that solely criticize Carnival while ignoring the industry wide reality evidently need to be reminded of it. We've cruised 3 times since the restart and feel that Carnival still checks the biggest box of all for us- they are still a good value for our vacation dollar.

If you visit the other cruise line forums, I think you'll find enough criticizing to go around.  Many people are trying other cruise lines to see which ones might be a better fit.  I'm sure you have cruised other than just on Carnival since you feel that they provide you the best experience. Each cruise line has adjusted their product in different ways.  Many of their loyal cruisers gave them plenty of slack after the restart but are beginning to question whether all of the changes should be continued at this point.  Celebrity discontinued their everyday menu items and quickly added them back after cruiser feedback.  Carnival brought back several items such as the daily cruise schedule in paper because of cruiser feedback.  Speaking up should be encouraged whether it is positive or negative. I feel it should be balanced though as no product is perfect, but neither is it a total disaster.           

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

If you visit the other cruise line forums, I think you'll find enough criticizing to go around.  Many people are trying other cruise lines to see which ones might be a better fit.  I'm sure you have cruised other than just on Carnival since you feel that they provide you the best experience. Each cruise line has adjusted their product in different ways.  Many of their loyal cruisers gave them plenty of slack after the restart but are beginning to question whether all of the changes should be continued at this point.  Celebrity discontinued their everyday menu items and quickly added them back after cruiser feedback.  Carnival brought back several items such as the daily cruise schedule in paper because of cruiser feedback.  Speaking up should be encouraged whether it is positive or negative. I feel it should be balanced though as no product is perfect, but neither is it a total disaster.           

Yes, I have cruised other cruise lines but only when their fare is equal to or less then what Carnival's fare. I've yet to sail another line that is so good that I'd pay substantiallly more for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

good post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, I have cruised other cruise lines but only when their fare is equal to or less then what Carnival's fare. I've yet to sail another line that is so good that I'd pay substantiallly more for. 

We each have our own perception of net worth of a product.  If we were all the same, there would only be one.  Like you, Carnival hits the buttons for us.  That said, there are times when they should hear our barking on a change.  Simply the way that it works.  That said, I disagree with my friend.  They do get cut slack, because they were truly significantly harmed (the industry) different than any other.  Just the facts.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

bingo

On 12/10/2023 at 7:57 AM, ray98 said:

I'm on the other side of this....if you don't want to be charged then don't throw pay venues in the mix.....stick with the MDR.

I don't really have a problem with the charges. I was just interested in other people's opinions. I still think cruising is wonderful and for the most part well worth the small extra costs.

I was looking for the quickest table so that I could meet a new friend at our previously agreed time. It just got me thinking. I had been to only one of the venues. I really had expected the MDR. Again, it wasn't about the money, more about the mechanism. 

On 12/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, mz-s said:

What was heavy handed about not sailing during a pandemic?