Fruit crisp (and other hidden foods)

Silverspringcruiser

I routinely request additional vegetables with my dinner entree at the MDR, and am usually brought a separate plate of whatever is available that evening. I have requested and received a wide variety of fruit crisps, even if they are not listed on the menu. Have also requested and received a number of different flavors of creme brulee including banana, coffee, and coconut. I find it effective to just ask for what I want, and most of the time I receive it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We were both very disappointed that there were almost no vegetables on the menu on our Panama Canal cruise.

I always ask for side order of plain vegetables.  Since we have fixed dining, after the first night, my waiter brings me a side plate every evening.  If I see a vegetable that I like, served with a main course I am not ordering, I will request it. Asking for extra vegetables has never been a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

If I see a vegetable that I like, served with a main course I am not ordering, I will request it. Asking for extra vegetables has never been a problem.

I usually do that also. But this time, other than various iterations of potatoes, parsnips (😜) or candied carrots- there were none on other dishes.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

In scanning the MDR menu, there may be sides for another entree that you like.  I often ask for a different side, especially if there is a nice rice side.  Also, we often ask for a vegetarian main to share at the table such as a risotto.  If I order the steak I will get fries instead of the baked potato.  The waiters can help you mix and match.  

• Like 2

My DH is crisp-a-holic...he has been known to ask regularly and always gets delivered..sometimes he doesn't even have to ask (thats one reason we like set dining times, the waiters know you). He has recently become a more plant based diet person and the last cruise had sliced fresh fruit plate for dessert every single night. I generally ask for sorbet and it is always available yet not always on the menu....creme brûlée as well .

• Like 1

HAL always has salads of all kinds for apps and mains. I prefer my veggies that way. One of the best things about HAL is that they will always try to accommodate you. I was eating in the Pinnacle on a formal night and they brought me escargot. They made me vanilla souffle with Grand marnier sauce and sabayon with berries before. 

• Like 1

I started asking for broccoli with no salt in it on the side as we noticed there were few veggies too. The ones that showed up were either stewed, in some type of ragout, or bits of turnip, carrot etc and salted. The first time I ordered extra steamed veggies on the side they were very salty so I learned my lesson and asked for no salt in them. We are finding it hard to avoid the heavy salt in everything. It’s the same on Celebrity and Princess. 
There were fruit crisps almost daily in the dining room on our recent Volendam cruise. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew eating carrots was never a good idea. Probably the source of those mysterious ship sounds others report,  when these malign little critters get chopped up in the ship's galley.

PS -these are Japanese wax mock-up of items available on the inside of their restaurants. How do say, "I'll pass" in Japanese. Arigato very much. 

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.51.57 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I was on a recent 26 day cruise on the Westerdam, and ordered the fruit crisp twice (the second time hoping for an improved taste).  I swear that the 'crisp' topping was unused oatmeal from breakfast.  Never again.  :  (

Agree. Not a favorite of mine. It seems like they just sprinkle topping on cooked fruit filling and quickly torch it. The topping has an odd taste to me. I prefer Princess’s version. 

• Like 1

On my cruise in September, the Fruit Crisp was in the Lido, with the Bread Pudding not the Main Dining Room.

The Main Dining Room had a relatively plain chicken dish and a relatively plain salmon dish every night, though it was not the simply grilled/roasted one that had been on the menu pre-Covid.
The only thing I found that was always available, but not on the menu, was a baked potato. Several in my party, as well as myself, opted to switch out the potato described on the menu for a plain baked potato on some nights. When I needed to trade out asparagus in some of the dishes, I found green beans were most often available as well, though I did not specifically request green beans, just a swap for asparagus.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

Indeed sorbet is on the Vegetarian menu:  Vegetarian Menu

Thank you !! I had no idea that they had a separate vegetarian menu. We have recently changed to  plant based diet and appreciate this information!

Edited by pmjnh

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

Indeed sorbet is on the Vegetarian menu:  Vegetarian Menu

That menu looks delicious. We aren’t vegetarian, but do centre our meals around vegetables, and I would love most things in there, except the “beyond meat”. I’d rather go without than have manufactured imitations.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2