Fruit crisp (and other hidden foods)

Silverspringcruiser

30 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

Is a fruit crisp always available in the MDR, even though it's not listed on the menu? And are there any other always available, off-menu items?

I’ve never had it in the MDR nor have I seen it on a menu.  However, there is fruit crisp offered almost daily in the buffet.  Peach is my favourite.  

• Like 1

The fruit crisps weren’t on the menu for a bit and you had to ask for them.

They have re-appeared back on the menu in the MDR - at least they were on the Rotterdam’s in October last year.

They are usually available in the Lido as well.

• Like 2

To answer the other part of your questions, yes, there are some foods that are always available in the dining room, but you have to ask. Some examples are mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans. Possibly French fries, since they are on the kids' menu, but I've never asked, so don't know for certain. All basic sides.
If there is something you want, and it isn't part of any other entrée that night, ask anyway. It might be available. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our Westerdam cruise last month we had fruit/rhubarb/apple/mango/berry crisp ( crumble) nearly every day in the MDR. (always on the menu) 

DH always had it with ice cream but I always ordered it with vanilla sauce which was not on the menu but they always managed to get it for me.

I never saw any in the Lido but they always seemed to have some sort of bread and butter pudding.

Just checked on Navigator and Strawberry crisp is actually shown on the dinner menu !

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 2

Watch out for always-available carrots - they are probably the ones they have to scrape off my plate every night and they get recycled. 🤭 

(My most unfavorite cooked vegetable, but always added for both color and good nutrition.🥕)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

And are there any other always available, off-menu items?

I haven't eaten in the MDR since before the shut-down, but there was always New York (or was that striploin, or are they the same?) steak, and also a salmon entree -- that was sometimes on the menu and sometimes bumped off by other offerings.

• Like 1

There used to be a roasted or grilled chicken breast, but that's gone. I think Caesar salad is available nightly. There is fruit crisp usually available every second night, but sometimes it is pineapple or strawberry and not a traditional fruit crisp. I've always managed to get whipped cream on the side for mine. And I always seem to be able to get broccoli or a baked potato even if it isn't listed. 

• Thanks 1

On a cruise years ago, our waiter told us a different fruit crisp is available every night in the MDR.  If it isn't on the menu, just ask your waiter what it is that night.  Since then, I have had fruit crisps many nights, even though it is often not on the menu, since I'm not a big fan of chocolate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Yes it has been available but not listed on the menu.  A waiter told me it is part of the gluten free menu but available to all if requested.

Even though it is made with all-purpose flour according to the HAL recipe?

11 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

…And are there any other always available, off-menu items?

I have heard there are Asian dishes available off-menu upon request in the MDR that are offered in the crew’s dining hall.

Anyone here inquired about them?

Edited by syesmar

We were on the Westerdam in October, and Fruit crisp was on the menu every night in the MDR. 

And, we asked about Crème Brûlée, as that wasn’t on the menu ( only available in the Pinnacle Grill) and they made it for us the next night in the MDR.

So, yes, certainly ask for anything, and they will try their best to get it for you. 😊

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jars said:

We were on the Westerdam in October, and Fruit crisp was on the menu every night in the MDR. 

And, we asked about Crème Brûlée, as that wasn’t on the menu ( only available in the Pinnacle Grill) and they made it for us the next night in the MDR.

So, yes, certainly ask for anything, and they will try their best to get it for you. 😊

Ditto!

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

To answer the other part of your questions, yes, there are some foods that are always available in the dining room, but you have to ask. Some examples are mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans. Possibly French fries, since they are on the kids' menu, but I've never asked, so don't know for certain. All basic sides.
If there is something you want, and it isn't part of any other entrée that night, ask anyway. It might be available. 

8 hours ago, sambamama said:

I've always managed to get whipped cream on the side for mine. And I always seem to be able to get broccoli or a baked potato even if it isn't listed. 

Thank you both. I’m filing those bits of information away for our next cruise.

We were both very disappointed that there were almost no vegetables on the menu on our Panama Canal cruise. And the night they had peas the serving was about a dozen of them. We periodically saw a veggie sautéd in lots of oil or smothered in a sauce in the lido. (Poor veggie.)