Norwegian Gem skipping Bermuda, arriving NYC 2 days early

ferretktf

Due to uncertainties surrounding ability to dock in NYC on 18th or 19th December, the current itinerary is now skipping Bermuda and heading direct to New York where it will dock two days early on 17th December, where it will act as a floating hotel for the two days.

No official comment available yet, but captain said it was 95% certain at 11am this morning (5 hours ago) and we have now significantly changed course and logged a new schedule with the marine authorities, so it is definitely happening.

Sadly there is a wedding party onboard due to get married in Bermuda. Not sure what they will do now?

Edited by ferretktf
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

Due to uncertainties surrounding ability to dock in NYC on 18th or 19th December, the current itinerary is now skipping Bermuda and heading direct to New York where it will dock two days early on 17th December, where it will act as a floating hotel for the two days.

Sadly there is a wedding party onboard due to get married in Bermuda. Not sure what they will do now?

The problem is the gale warning for the Atlantic extending from Florida north.

The wind and waves would also affect Bermuda.

Waiting until after Bermuda would make for a rough sail north and probably would significantly delay or prevent docking in NYC.

As for the wedding party and their plans for Bermuda, whoever their planner was should have been savvy enough to warn them of the pitfalls of traveling by ship and assuming a port would be made on schedule.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ferretktf said:

Although I do feel bad for them, I have to say it's at very least "optimistic" to plan for a Bernuda cruise stop this time of year!

I do hope they have a good plan B! 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, spookylu said:

I didn't know there was a bad time to dock in Bermuda. I am going there on the Joy next April. I hope that's a better time to go!

I feel bad for them, but such things are unavoidable sometimes.

Probably wont be very warm at that point.. Will be getting warmer, but probably still not very warm. I mean, it'll be in the low 70's probably?  Water will still be pretty cool then. 

NCL is pretty much sailing to and or making a stop year-round at Dockyard. It's the other GSC but a non-tender port  except it's seasonally cool in the winter months.  Odds are docking there successfully are higher but ... 

Forecast for next several days, not pretty with waves & sea swell and wind.  Safety first but, yes - it stinks when it's your 1 and only stop on a 5 days & even 4 days short Cruise out of NY. 

Screenshot_20231215-140839.thumb.png.aa8ae531f3c518c7492248e06822e92a.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Probably wont be very warm at that point.. Will be getting warmer, but probably still not very warm. I mean, it'll be in the low 70's probably?  Water will still be pretty cool then. 

That's what I thought.  I don't mind if it's cool, I just want to be able to dock🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spookylu said:

That's what I thought.  I don't mind if it's cool, I just want to be able to dock🤣

I went to Bermuda on the Joy at the beginning of April this year.  We had no issues docking and our itinerary did not change.  We got there and left when we were supposed to.  Weather wasn’t really warm enough for the beach although we did see some brave souls going into the water.  It was, however, perfect for sightseeing.  I had been there in August 2022 and it was so hot that it was miserable being out in the sun, unless you were at the beach and had shade.  

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Not what was hoped for, certainly, but NYC at Christmas Season without the hotel prices will be some compensation for those who are not local.  it's actually going to be a unseasonably warm here for the next couple of days.

A number of this year’s Canada/New England trips ended early due to weather.  Not just for NCL but other lines as well.  For those trips, NCL didn’t exactly dock early.  They stayed off the shore of Staten Island. Passengers could not get off the ship and do any sightseeing.  So t.here won’t be any viewing of the tree at Rockefeller Center or visiting Santa at Macy’s if that happens again this month.

4 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

For we Northern New Englanders who start swimming in the Atlantic late May -early June, that would be like bathwater! Temps average high forties/ low fifties and might approach sixty by the end of June. Even in our hot month, August, seventy two to seventy five is the high. So I guess "cool" depends on where you hang your hat!!

• Like 3

The issue with Bermuda is the super tight channel getting in+out of Dockyard. There is a ton of reef and a ship getting blown around in gale force winds will almost certainly struggle to avoid it. 

Sucks for the wedding party 😞

• Like 2

People who don't cruise often, or follow Cruise Critic most likely have no idea how often itineraries change because of weather, medical emergencies, rescues, or other things.  It only hits the news when someone goes overboard.  I know I was blissfully ignorant before my first cruise. We ended up skipping Israel 23 years ago because of violence, but substituted a lovely stop in Cyprus. Another cruise avoided a typhoon which cut a shore day in half and we missed another port altogether.  My last 12 day transatlantic had to reroute for weather and lost all stops but two. Someone on that trip was complaining he missed a family reunion planned around his stop on that island.  My older son has only cruised as an adult once (2 as a minor) and his three day trip had a jumper.  Using these family stats you have a 18-33% chance of missing or shortening a port stop.  My younger son was more lucky and he's cruised 6 times with zero issues.  Planning a wedding on a port stop would give me a panic attack.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

NCL is pretty much sailing to and or making a stop year-round at Dockyard. It's the other GSC but a non-tender port  except it's seasonally cool in the winter months.  Odds are docking there successfully are higher but ... 

I would not compare Bermuda to GSC.

• Like 1

Yeah GSC and Bermuda are not the same at all.

Pro tip for people thinking of sailing to Bermuda though:

It's a Spring/Summer/Fall destination. If you book it in the winter months (Dec-Feb) you're probably not going to make it there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We live an hour and a half outside NY and last Christmas were on the Gem when it sailed out 2 days late. It’s the risk of sailing from NY this time of year. We missed two ports. We still had an amazing time. We got off in NY the first night and had dinner, we made a quick run to target the next morning.

I was on the Gem early last year and it seemed everybody knew before we set sail that we would not make it to Bermuda as as our last port of call. The night before St. Thomas, the captain announced that we would skip Bermuda and stay in port longer. Afterwards, we must have been going in circles for 3 days to kill time before NYC. I don't know why NCL is scheduling Bermuda year round. We should have stayed south longer in 80+ degree weather.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text
  • Like 2