MDR Charge

pajazz28

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Exactly and you can go back as often as you want to if you are of mind to (or just take a small spoonful if all you want is a taste).

Options, including dining options are always good things.  I am always somewhat surprised at how many people would chose Lido than MDR, but I am an old schooler.  

• Like 1

Exactly and you can go back as often as you want to if you are of mind to (or just take a small spoonful if all you want is a taste).

So on the elgant nights they serve filet migon, prime rib and lobster in the buffet? I have sailed on 15 cruises and never seen that. Is that new on carnival Celebration? 

4 minutes ago, pajazz28 said:

So on the elgant nights they serve filet migon, prime rib and lobster in the buffet? I have sailed on 15 cruises and never seen that. Is that new on carnival Celebration? 

The closest you'll get is the carving station roast beef - which I love, but isn't near as good as the filet or prime rib.

6 minutes ago, pajazz28 said:

Don't know, have never been to the buffet for dinner. I've read many times that the main entree's in the MDR are available in the buffet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Don't know, have never been to the buffet for dinner. I've read many times that the main entree's in the MDR are available in the buffet.

I don't eat in the buffet for dinner either (except on my last NCL Alaskan cruise on the last 3 nights) I could not cotinue eating the MDR food on that cruise it was the worse I had ever had on a cruise or any vacation.  But from time to time I have walk through the buffet at dinner time and I do not remember seeing the same items as in the MDR. I will have to pay more attention or go by ealry in the evening to see what they are serving. When I get back I will post what I find, 

4 minutes ago, pajazz28 said:

I don't eat in the buffet for dinner either (except on my last NCL Alaskan cruise on the last 3 nights) I could not cotinue eating the MDR food on that cruise it was the worse I had ever had on a cruise or any vacation.  But from time to time I have walk through the buffet at dinner time and I do not remember seeing the same items as in the MDR. I will have to pay more attention or go by ealry in the evening to see what they are serving. When I get back I will post what I find, 

We found the offerings in one section of the buffet the one time we looked. The rest of the buffet had other things available (not that we made note of what else was there).

2 minutes ago, fabnsab said:

In the same line of questions…when you pay the extra $23 for the surf & turf, can you ask for two tails? How do they charge for that?

There isn't a two lobster tail menu item on the Steakhouse selections menu, so my guess is you'd have to buy 2 Lobster entrees at $23 each.

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/dining-room-steakhouse-selections.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Outside of the example of someone wanting extra lobster, I have a really hard time seeing someone needing more than 2 entrees. Unless someone is just ordering to have a few bites of each; and in that case by all means, charge them for wasting all that food.

I believe starters are unlimited. You could always hit up the buffet if still hungry after dinner I guess. 

I once had more than two entrees when the steak was inedible without a chainsaw (I was given a replacement steak which was just as bad), and I finally was served a grilled chicken breast.  

I sometimes try a dish that I've never had before, and if it is not to my taste, I will have another dish.  But that is "only" two entrees.

42 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I once had more than two entrees when the steak was inedible without a chainsaw (I was given a replacement steak which was just as bad), and I finally was served a grilled chicken breast.  

I sometimes try a dish that I've never had before, and if it is not to my taste, I will have another dish.  But that is "only" two entrees.

Chainsaw….yup.  We know where the problem was

16 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

It's standard practice at a land restaurant to not charge you for a dish you send back for being cooked improperly. I wouldn't expect them to count it as one of you two entrees if you send something back. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Anyone actually see a charge for the third entree?  Is it $5, $5 plus grat, $5 plus tax??? 

Is this just a policy that does not get enforced?

Thanks.

There wouldn't be any tax unless you're in US waters when you're eating.

Carnival charges an 18% gratuity on pretty much every purchase these days except the gift shops, so I'm pretty sure it'll be charged here as well.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:40 AM, happy cruzer said:

Anyone actually see a charge for the third entree?  Is it $5, $5 plus grat, $5 plus tax??? 

Is this just a policy that does not get enforced?

Thanks.

Yes, we know what the policies are.  Any actual experience were it was charged/enforced?  Thanks.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:51 AM, pajazz28 said:

So if yuo order 4 or 5 entree you only pay a total of $5?

No, each after 2nd incurs $5 charge. (Hint: If you are a big eater and others in your party are not, avoid the charges by having THEM order a 2nd entree and give it to you. )

• Like 1

I always marvel at this. Nobody would accuse me of being skinny. But I have enough trouble with my typical app, salad, one entree and dessert!

Note to self: skip dessert on half the nights. I've had them all and really don't need the calories.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, jsglow said:

I always marvel at this. Nobody would accuse me of being skinny. But I have enough trouble with my typical app, salad, one entree and dessert!

Note to self: skip dessert on half the nights. I've had them all and really don't need the calories.

Bingo

well I would usually have about 5 apps and 3 or 4 entrees and at least 2 desserts.. I never wasted any food.  this new charge stinks.  I eat normal breakfast and lunch.. i enjoy the DR experience.. its one of main reasons i cruise.  the new menus they came out with dont look good so many nights ii would be hard for me to find a 3rd entree i would like.  there is more wasted food on Lido than DR.  just another cost cut when your 36 billion in debt.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

We have eaten in Lido for almost an entire six night cruise when the MDR was beyond awful. Many entrees like brisket, pork chops, enchiladas, carbonara, were also at the buffet. 

Beyond awful….wow

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Beyond awful….wow

lol. Yeah, I’m not a picky person but we were on a back to back, the previous having been an 8 day. The service was literally the worst I have ever had in ANY restaurant. Dinner was well over two hours with lots of time just sitting there waiting. On the first night of our second cruise, we tried again because I had really liked the chicken parm the first week. It took over 20  minutes for our order to be taken. After we finished our appetizers, our plates sat in front of us for 25 min. Yeah, I started timing it. I really wanted more water. I asked three different people. One said, “I don’t do that” the others said they’d get it. Never got any water. Finally got our mains, sat for awhile hoping someone would come take our plates. Gave up and left and went to Lido for the rest of that cruise. We really didn’t want to waste three hours every evening waiting for food. 

1 minute ago, momof3cruisers said:

lol. Yeah, I’m not a picky person but we were on a back to back, the previous having been an 8 day. The service was literally the worst I have ever had in ANY restaurant. Dinner was well over two hours with lots of time just sitting there waiting. On the first night of our second cruise, we tried again because I had really liked the chicken parm the first week. It took over 20  minutes for our order to be taken. After we finished our appetizers, our plates sat in front of us for 25 min. Yeah, I started timing it. I really wanted more water. I asked three different people. One said, “I don’t do that” the others said they’d get it. Never got any water. Finally got our mains, sat for awhile hoping someone would come take our plates. Gave up and left and went to Lido for the rest of that cruise. We really didn’t want to waste three hours every evening waiting for food. 

Thanks for the reply

• Like 1