Icon pricing

cusematt4

Hi all - icon pricing for next year understandably seems to be 2-4x the price of other ships for the same week, regardless of what week.

Based on prior new ship and class launches, is it likely it’ll remain 2-4x more expensive than all other ships and sailings throughout the first year?  At what point does it become more in line with other large new ships?

Is utopia likely to be more than double other ships for comparable sailings for its first year, or is that less likely since it isn’t a new class?

58 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all - icon pricing for next year understandably seems to be 2-4x the price of other ships for the same week, regardless of what week.

Based on prior new ship and class launches, is it likely it’ll remain 2-4x more expensive than all other ships and sailings throughout the first year?  At what point does it become more in line with other large new ships?

Is utopia likely to be more than double other ships for comparable sailings for its first year, or is that less likely since it isn’t a new class?

I'm booked on wonder and utopia and neither is what I'd call inexpensive. Utopia is doing 3 and 4 day cruises so they are less expensive but fewer days. 

Wonder is currently the newest and imo didnt escape the new high prices for a new ship. Look at star pricing  .. 

As far as wishing and hoping prices come down, I'd say I dont see signs that rcl is lowering prices, mostly they go up not down. I wouldn't hold my breath any time soon prices will come down. I doubt icon is 2 to 3 X higher than wonder, maybe you didnt look at the other new ship prices as closely? And star certainly wouldnt be less, its icon II class.

I believe, based upon history, the pricing will eventually come down, after all if they could offer the first couple months bookings at the lower price last year, why not next year.  I think it's a case of waiting to see what the market will bear in the coming months.  We could not book ICON now, at almost triple what we paid last October 2022.  Monitoring now to try to get our Grandson and friend an inside so they can go with us in September, just not seeing anything affordable for them.  But hoping that by July after payment due, the prices may come down.  Just a guessing game at this point.

15 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

At what point does it become more in line with other large new ships?

All the newer ships, even with Carnival are outrageous.  Jubilee which just premiered had their insides at $3300+ for 2 peeps, I just priced them hoping they'd be better than RCCL, we haven't paid that pricing except on Celebrity in years.  And our ICON sailing was only $2400.  The general economy is the culprit...and I won't say more about that subject!  Grrrrr.😡

41 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Looking at Icon pricing makes us thankful we like the smaller older ships.  We can do 4 cruises for the price of one 🙂

Agreed!  5 out of 6 cruises I've booked now are all on Voyager class ships.  I don't see myself booking an Icon class for quite some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I believe, based upon history, the pricing will eventually come down, after all if they could offer the first couple months bookings at the lower price last year, why not next year.  I think it's a case of waiting to see what the market will bear in the coming months.  We could not book ICON now, at almost triple what we paid last October 2022.  Monitoring now to try to get our Grandson and friend an inside so they can go with us in September, just not seeing anything affordable for them.  But hoping that by July after payment due, the prices may come down.  Just a guessing game at this point.

The difference is that when Icon was first released it was November 2022.  Ships were sailing at 50 to 75% capacity.  If you remember, even at the time those prices were at a huge premium over the other ships and many thought the prices at the time were crazy.  They look like a deal now but not back then.  The landscape has changed and it will take another global event if you ever expect to see those low prices again.  

• Like 2

We booked an inside (deck 9) on Icon when the "test" week for November 15, 2025 popped up (intermittently) on-line. We paid $3,875.28 total base price for two and added grats/ins for a grand total of $4,397.28. Pretty pricey for an inside for a week; however, that price has only been going up when I randomly check. If anyone notices a nice drop, please post and let me know (possible finders fee)! We are really looking forward to seeing the Icon up close and personal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems like, in our experience, that the earlier you book these ships, the better the pricing.  We are leaving on an 8 night NYE cruise Saturday on Wonder.  An interior cabin (our usual) cost $2958 for the two of us for this cruise.  Our Icon sailing for an interior plus in August 2024 (made the day bookings opened) cost us $2535.  These sailings have doubled now.  Maybe Wonder will come down a bit after Icon launches and so forth.

2 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

It seems like, in our experience, that the earlier you book these ships, the better the pricing.  We are leaving on an 8 night NYE cruise Saturday on Wonder.  An interior cabin (our usual) cost $2958 for the two of us for this cruise.  Our Icon sailing for an interior plus in August 2024 (made the day bookings opened) cost us $2535.  These sailings have doubled now.  Maybe Wonder will come down a bit after Icon launches and so forth.

Yeah, we should have booked sooner but I really didn't think I'd like the ship but, after following the Icon build, we decided that we wanted to see it in person. We're getting older and can't take $$ with us, so what the h***! Let's cruise on Icon (at least once)! Cheers!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

See post #12.

Did you see what Star cost on release day?

I did see post #12 and I know what you are saying.  I was just posting what experiences we have had over the years booking new ships (Allure, Wonder, Icon, whichever).  I agree that part of the pricing comes from the changes that have taken pace in the travel industry in general over the last few years, but either way, booking early seems to find the best price.

And no, I did not price Star when it as released.  We have enjoyed the big ships so far but I want to try out Icon before we book anymore.  The older I get, the more I am looking for quiet and chill, not huge and busy, so we shall see!

We booked a March Icon cruise last August.  The group rate was 3500, buying through RCCL was 11,000+.  Now that we're past final payment... I just checked on RCCL and it's 'down' to 4500.  A lot of the extras such as DBP, Hideaway Beach, etc. have been trending down as well.. I guess it's worth a shot to see who pays the outrageous rates and then play the numbers and profit game after final

The way to go is to try to find a travel agency that buys blocks of rooms to get a good price..and of course to remain vigilant and cancel, rebook, reprice as needed... I hate the game, but that's where we are

• Like 2

This probably sounds silly but I noticed that I would be due to receive another crystal block on Oasis (which I already have that CB), a couple of weeks after cruising on the Icon, so, I added another B2B just before the Icon, so I could get an Icon crystal block!! Am I nuts?🤔 Would any of you done the same?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

This probably sounds silly but I noticed that I would be due to receive another crystal block on Oasis (which I already have that CB), a couple of weeks after cruising on the Icon, so, I added another B2B just before the Icon, so I could get an Icon crystal block!! Am I nuts?🤔 Would any of you done the same?

We added an 8 day last month so we could get the Icon block on the inaugural cruise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We will be 5 days short.  Considered it but we are looking at cruising with all our kids and grandkids, so the crystal will be more about the cruise rather than the ship. 

• Like 2