Disappointed on Silver Nova.

joutvs

Dear 81Zoomie- the big white boxes are closed areas which are accessible to the butlers/housekeeping staff.

I was in 9005 and no doors across or anywhere close to me.   There is a door to each area.   Absolutely no noise coming from the areas across from me and unaware of any elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, joutvs said:

We are coming back on March 31 and do hope they bring that “special luxury” back … as they will loose us as customers if not. 

Which cruise? Still on Nova? I'm very interested to see your thoughts on your next one too, to see if there are any improvements. I have seen so many negative reviews, I'm starting to get really worried.

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

Which cruise? Still on Nova? I'm very interested to see your thoughts on your next one too, to see if there are any improvements. I have seen so many negative reviews, I'm starting to get really worried.

We disembarked yesterday after the 10 night Barbados to Lauderdale run.  It was our first on SS.  I'm working on my review now.  Some positives and some negatives (in addition to the photo shoot debacle).  All in all, SB remains my first choice.

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

I am on the same “boat” as you. But for us we really wanted to experience getting to Japan from the west coast without having to fly and were going to go to Japan in the fall anyway. I don’t think it can be worse than a long layover at LAX and flying. Though I keep lurking here too because I am too type A to detach from information completely. It’s a big expense so of course we desire everything to go smoothly. Past performance doesn’t always predict future success / failure. We can only hope things go decently but can have confidence we will find a way to enjoy ourselves! ❤️ My backup plan is just to sleep in, lounge, not wash dishes, catch up on reading - I never get those things at home  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got off the Muse, our second SS cruise. Will never go on SS again. While the service was excellent as was the ship the food was the worst we have ever experienced on any cruise ship. The menus sound wonderful but they are all bark and no bite. Ingredients are left out, food was usually cold except when we cooked it ourselves.  We ordered Pizza Margherita and there was no basil. Instead they used arugula and tried to palm it off as basil. All they needed to have done was to say we are out of basil and we would have ordered something else. The ingredients seldom seemed fresh, particular the fruit, and many of the dishes were very bland to our taste.

As others have said I think the SS executives should try travelling on other luxury lines to discover what luxury cruising is really. It may have just been a one off bad experience on the Muse but there were so many things not right that we would not want to take a risk again especially when we know there are alternatives like SB and Oceania and Viking.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kiwi_Dave said:

Just got off the Muse, our second SS cruise. Will never go on SS again. While the service was excellent as was the ship the food was the worst we have ever experienced on any cruise ship. The menus sound wonderful but they are all bark and no bite. Ingredients are left out, food was usually cold except when we cooked it ourselves.  We ordered Pizza Margherita and there was no basil. Instead they used arugula and tried to palm it off as basil. All they needed to have done was to say we are out of basil and we would have ordered something else. The ingredients seldom seemed fresh, particular the fruit, and many of the dishes were very bland to our taste.

As others have said I think the SS executives should try travelling on other luxury lines to discover what luxury cruising is really. It may have just been a one off bad experience on the Muse but there were so many things not right that we would not want to take a risk again especially when we know there are alternatives like SB and Oceania and Viking.

Isn't there anything you liked about the cruise?  For instance, the white wines on Silversea aren't 6 years old, like Oceania?  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kiwi_Dave said:

After 2 cruises on SS (Dawn and Spirit), this was not our experience at all. While we liked food on Oceania better, food on SS was overall very good in all venues. I would gladly sail on both given the right itinerary and price.

We hope you have a great Cruise drron29 - so looking forward to your analysis of the current standards on board as we know you are a reliable source when comparing present day offerings with what Regulars expect.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, drron29 said:

Well I am getting on the Muse tomorrow so I will see if we have  very dissimilar tastes in food.

looking forward for your posts. I will be on Muse next August. It is still time to cancel if you do not like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lirio said:

looking forward for your posts. I will be on Muse next August. It is still time to cancel if you do not like it.

No disrespect to DrRon but you sure have a lot of faith in one person’s opinion.  You know, food and dining preferences are so subjective and if most of the people are happy then that’s a helpful data point.  A sample of only 2 (drron, kiwi_dave) is a little light on data.  Bon appetit!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

No disrespect to DrRon but you sure have a lot of faith in one person’s opinion.  You know, food and dining preferences are so subjective and if most of the people are happy then that’s a helpful data point.  A sample of only 2 (drron, kiwi_dave) is a little light on data.  Bon appetit!

If I sailed based on the reviews, I would stay home for the rest of my life..

The only opinion that matters is yours. Some of the reviews are so absurd and ridiculous. 

• Like 11

Regarding Muse...

I sailed last Sep/Oct, six months ago and I am but a lowbrow oaf, but I thought the food was great.

I never tried La Dame or Kaiseki. Silver Note was interesting but didn't click for me. Atlantide was fine, The Grill and Indochine were fun and La Terazza, my favorite, was consistently excellent.

I'm experimenting with different lines, but Silversea and the Muse are high on my list for a repeat.

Walkingsoon

(one small complaint: some of the artwork! What were they thinking? I used to avoid the midship Port ladder just because it hurt my eyes.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:26 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Isn't there anything you liked about the cruise?  For instance, the white wines on Silversea aren't 6 years old, like Oceania?  

Careful there.  I had a 2003 Riesling (Auslese) with a Thai dish aboard Dawn last November.  At 20 years, it was just beginning to do that amazing thing that age-worthy Rieslings do as they get older.  I can think of many whites I'd like better at 6 years.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

Careful there.  I had a 2003 Riesling (Auslese) with a Thai dish aboard Dawn last November.  At 20 years, it was just beginning to do that amazing thing that age-worthy Rieslings do as they get older.  I can think of many whites I'd like better at 6 years.

Sorry, you aren't aware of the context.  I was referring to a post OP made in another thread, complaining that in 2023 the white wines on Oceania's wine list were all 2017 or earlier.  [I don't think he meant Ausleses...]

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry, you aren't aware of the context.  I was referring to a post OP made in another thread, complaining that in 2023 the white wines on Oceania's wine list were all 2017 or earlier.  [I don't think he meant Ausleses...]

And I'm assuming this Auslese wasn't on the included list!

I got a nice Auslese on my last Azamara cruise.  I had bought a 5-bottle connoisseur wine package, which made the head Sommelier my new best friend, and when I mentioned liking sweet wine he volunteered that they had one bottle of this left – sold!

They have now pruned the Atlantide dinner menu.

First a menu from our last cruise on the Muse in October/November 2023

IMG_6340.thumb.jpg.44973c659b70952573acfc78e2690c44.jpg

IMG_6341-001.thumb.jpg.8920387b4c2a8055903a4a939c4fc2dc.jpg

IMG_6342.thumb.jpg.800be68696e6a1effdf6462f910c785e.jpg

IMG_6343-001.thumb.jpg.bb151644b42c0ae43f51974c0d906728.jpg

Now a current menu.

IMG_7886.thumb.jpg.6550077e75171ecf20ea233f7c79a5e3.jpg

IMG_7865.thumb.jpg.c13686d37070e42a2ffa86f0f4c70794.jpg

IMG_7866.thumb.jpg.2f8e13e61724961f1f23425a8df68166.jpg

IMG_7867.thumb.jpg.a074c916016100f1b0f282a43fc2a5a3.jpg

So the choice of 3 vegetarian mains, 5 seafood and 5 meat has become 3 of each.Plus the Intermediate course with soups and salads has been cut completely but with 1 soup and 1 salad added to the starters but a reduction from 7 to 6 of the other choices.

And here was the seafood chowder from the first night. Lots of seafood? definitely not

IMG_7869.thumb.jpg.3f5121e08bfe62ef3c7046c68efd95f8.jpg

IMG_7870.thumb.jpg.f29cf8925a7bc16011a1f48f2ba98d4a.jpg

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I'd suggest to the chef he Google what a chowder might look like. You'd have to conclude from a comparison of the menus and your comments that the food budget has been severely trimmed.image.jpeg.6976f5c5b04a12fee99cd712105f4b94.jpeg

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 2

We had the same abbreviated Atlantide menu on the Nova in January /February as well as a much more abbreviated La Terrazza menu, (which we really hated). We were told the menus were specific to the Nova, but I guess they are rolling them out on the other ships. Is the La Terrazza menu on the Muse similarly reduced?

36 minutes ago, sea bright said:

We had the same abbreviated Atlantide menu on the Nova in January /February as well as a much more abbreviated La Terrazza menu, (which we really hated). We were told the menus were specific to the Nova, but I guess they are rolling them out on the other ships. Is the La Terrazza menu on the Muse similarly reduced?

It was decimated the last time we were on the Muse October/ November 2023.

Haven't changed Indochine yet.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, drron29 said:

They have now pruned the Atlantide dinner menu.

First a menu from our last cruise on the Muse in October/November 2023

IMG_6340.thumb.jpg.44973c659b70952573acfc78e2690c44.jpg

IMG_6341-001.thumb.jpg.8920387b4c2a8055903a4a939c4fc2dc.jpg

IMG_6342.thumb.jpg.800be68696e6a1effdf6462f910c785e.jpg

IMG_6343-001.thumb.jpg.bb151644b42c0ae43f51974c0d906728.jpg

Now a current menu.

IMG_7886.thumb.jpg.6550077e75171ecf20ea233f7c79a5e3.jpg

IMG_7865.thumb.jpg.c13686d37070e42a2ffa86f0f4c70794.jpg

IMG_7866.thumb.jpg.2f8e13e61724961f1f23425a8df68166.jpg

IMG_7867.thumb.jpg.a074c916016100f1b0f282a43fc2a5a3.jpg

So the choice of 3 vegetarian mains, 5 seafood and 5 meat has become 3 of each.Plus the Intermediate course with soups and salads has been cut completely but with 1 soup and 1 salad added to the starters but a reduction from 7 to 6 of the other choices.

And here was the seafood chowder from the first night. Lots of seafood? definitely not

IMG_7869.thumb.jpg.3f5121e08bfe62ef3c7046c68efd95f8.jpg

IMG_7870.thumb.jpg.f29cf8925a7bc16011a1f48f2ba98d4a.jpg

Not Cool.  Thank you for that, glad you enjoyed your steak.

They rid menu of origin source on main courses, which had noble intent and probably followed for three months.  Still printed menus long after program was dismissed. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sea bright said:

I can't say for Muse; however, I was on the Dawn just a couple weeks ago and the menus were also very limited.  It was disappointing.

Edited by mchell810