Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes could well be that. If it were me I’d leave though, as I’d be terribly conscious of distracting the performers as well as the other audience members!

I bought my wife a Kindle for Xmas but now we are at sea she tells me that she couldn’t quite work out how to download enough books. She has a free trial for the ultimate Amazon ebooks thingy and I tried to download one and it charged her! I need to work out how you establish which ones are free as I’ve failed so far 🙄 😂 

Even if you can't get the free trial working, there are a lot of e-books available of fiction that is now out of copyright for only 99 pence. An anthology of all the Sherlock Holmes stories, to take just one example, but there are literally dozens more.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes could well be that. If it were me I’d leave though, as I’d be terribly conscious of distracting the performers as well as the other audience members!

I bought my wife a Kindle for Xmas but now we are at sea she tells me that she couldn’t quite work out how to download enough books. She has a free trial for the ultimate Amazon ebooks thingy and I tried to download one and it charged her! I need to work out how you establish which ones are free as I’ve failed so far 🙄 😂 

There’s a knack to it, which you’ll soon work out. Even without any of the add on subscriptions you can find free out of copyright books (a huge selection of classics) by doing a search for a particular author, then sorting according to price. The free ones should then appear at the top. This also works for a lot of books still in copyright if you just do a general Kindle book search and sort according to price.

Good luck! You can never have too much reading matter on a cruise.

• Like 1

I haven’t mentioned this so far, so as not to tempt fate, but prior to leaving the UK I checked out the wind forecasts on Windy website for our first 10 days. It predicted a rough first night (which turned out to be 2 full days) and then half way across our transatlantic from Madeira to Bermuda we were going to catch the bottom of a severe weather system which looked almost like a hurricane. 

We’ve just left Madeira and the Captain made an announcement to say that from the 10th we could expect to hit a severe depression which would result in minimum force 10 and waves at least 11 metres. This would last for 3 days 😱 He then said that he had a cunning plan to track south of the worst of it. 

I’m a bit confused, because he didn’t mention any impact on the itinerary,

so I assume that our Bermuda call is unaffected, yet by tracking south Bermuda must be problematic. I know that it was missed on a previous Grand Tour for this same reason. Whilst I’m all for passenger comfort and applaud him for taking this into consideration, I shall be gutted if we miss Bermuda, as it was one of the major attractions of this cruise for me (don’t really know why, but always wanted to go there). Keeping everything crossed. Thank goodness we found the extra Stugeron 🤢 😂 

• Like 16

Just now, Selbourne said:

I haven’t mentioned this so far, so as not to tempt fate, but prior to leaving the UK I checked out the wind forecasts on Windy website for our first 10 days. It predicted a rough first night (which turned out to be 2 full days) and then half way across our transatlantic from Madeira to Bermuda we were going to catch the bottom of a severe weather system which looked almost like a hurricane. 

We’ve just left Madeira and the Captain made an announcement to say that from the 10th we could expect to hit a severe depression which would result in minimum force 10 and waves at least 11 metres. This would last for 3 days 😱 He then said that he had a cunning plan to track south of the worst of it. 

so I assume that our Bermuda call is unaffected, yet by tracking south Bermuda must be problematic. I know that it was missed on a previous Grand Tour for this same reason. Whilst I’m all for passenger comfort and applaud him for taking this into consideration, I shall be gutted if we miss Bermuda, as it was one of the major attractions of this cruise for me (don’t really know why, but always wanted to go there). Keeping everything crossed. Thank goodness we found the extra Stugeron 🤢 😂 

We’ll have plenty of time in hand to go further south shouldn’t be a problem looking at the synoptic charts shouldn’t be much of a detour to avoid it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks guys. My wife doesn’t read classics. She like all the current crime authors. Will take a look though. 

I use a website called BookBub. They email you a list of free or 99p books every day of your favourite genres. I also  like crime and this has opened me up to lots of new authors as well as books by my favourite writers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. My wife doesn’t read classics. She like all the current crime authors. Will take a look though. 

The best way is to join your local library, most now also offer e-books to download to your tablet for free, and you use an app called Libby to download and read them, and the newest books are available.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Join your local Library! If you are not already a member most Library services (since Covid) allow you to join online and you can then access their online services including their e-books and e audiobooks. Most services currently use Borrowbox and it's really straightforward. Also have a range of e magazines so you can keep up to date whilst you are away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The best way is to join your local library, most now also offer e-books to download to your tablet for free, and you use an app called Libby to download and read them, and the newest books are available.

I was typing whilst you were posting. Dorset uses Libby for magazines and Borrowbox for books but all services are different and I think they pretty much all do e-books 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We also missed Bermuda in 2016 due to weather. Seems P&O don’t like going there. 

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

At this point, mention in association with Bermuda of a certain geometric polygon with three corners and three sides is off-limit..........

Ah! You mean the infamous Bermuda Set Square 😯

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

I was typing whilst you were posting. Dorset uses Libby for magazines and Borrowbox for books but all services are different and I think they pretty much all do e-books 

I have to admit I was sceptical  about e-books at first, but via the library they are very easy to access and for a Yorkshireman their big advantage via the library is that they are free.

We have to accept that some covid changes have proved to be very popular.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DAY 5 - Sunday 7th March - Madeira

Whilst there was a little rocking overnight, it wasn’t enough to set the creaking ceiling off. However, one of our cabin neighbours had committed the cardinal sin of leaving a piece of balcony furniture touching the edge of the balcony, so in the wind we had a noise like a low level rapid hammering as the offending metal framed chair or table rattled against the metal balcony 🙄. For balance, I should say that our cabin neighbours both sides and above have been very considerate so far this cruise, which has been a huge relief given how poor the sound insulation is on Aurora. Our dining companions have been less fortunate and can hear drawers slamming and the TV from their neighbours. 

We arrived into Funchal a couple of hours early and it was still pitch dark. Ventura followed us in a while later but, as we were first to arrive, we secured poll position closest to the port exit. This is just as well as we didn’t intend to use the shuttle this time as, due to the time taken to load and unload wheelchairs and scooters, it took longer than walking when we were here a few months ago. Once Ventura had berthed an ambulance with its blue lights flashing pulled up alongside her, so I hope that whoever that is for is able to continue their cruise once attended to. 

Last entry times for breakfast are still the old ‘early’ times of 9.30am on sea days and 9am on port days, which is a shame as we often find that to be a rush. However, we managed to get to the Medina restaurant in good time. Our favourite restaurant host Rachel knew the names and cabin numbers of all 3 couples ahead of us in the queue without looking them up, so it isn’t just us! When we got to the front I told her that she is superhuman! Her colleague said that Rachel remembers everything and Rachel added “and you told me that you are grumpy in the mornings so like a table for 2”. Hilarious 🤣 People like Rachel can really make a cruise and we are so glad to have her on this very long journey. She’s an absolute star. 

After breakfast we had a good walk around Funchal. We were glad that we hadn’t bothered with the shuttle as it was a lovely walk along the promenade. We walked all the way to the end and then cut back through the town to the market, which I was given to believe was open 7 days bit isn’t. Unfortunately it was also closed when we came in October, that time due to a public holiday. I poked my head in the cathedral which was packed. Clearly more religious types here than at home!

As we started to make our way back to the ship it started raining and we got rather wet. I stopped at a shop to buy two 1.5 litre bottles of water which worked out at half the price of buying them on the ship. We skipped lunch as I’d booked a tour leaving at 1.30pm. Leisurely scenes of Madeira was certainly leisurely but the low cloud cover and intermittent rain impacted on the scenic bit. The first view over Funchal was OK but as we climbed up into the mountains the visibility was poor. I was amazed at the Eucalyptus forests (which you could smell even inside the coach) and the banana plants (trees?) everywhere. Also poinsettia growing wild. 

We visited the highest cape in Europe and I bravely stood on a glass and mesh floored gantry overhanging a sheer 1,900 foot cliff. However, you could barely see a thing. You could just make out the waves way down below but couldn’t see the view at all. We passed through the village that Winston Churchill famously painted but didn’t stop. It was a good way to while away an afternoon and was still enjoyable, but would be ten times better on a dry and clear day. 

Returning to the ship and having had nothing to eat since breakfast, we decided to grab a quick sandwich or something to tie us over until dinner at 8pm. It was just before 5.30pm. We decided to go to Raffles (coffee shop) as I’d noticed that they had some sandwiches yesterday. The food counter was empty. Ok, we will go to the buffet. Up to deck 12 and it’s closed because they are setting up for dinner, starting at 6pm. I remembered this nonsense on Ventura as well. We don’t want a full meal, just a snack. Why not keep one small section open for this purpose? Finally we tried the outdoor grill area and, yes, you guessed it, closed as well. I had always been under the misguided belief that one of the selling points about cruises was that there was always somewhere open to get food. This is clearly not the case.

As we left Madeira the Captain informed us that we are due to track through a major storm system during our transatlantic, with 3 days of minimum force 10 and waves of 11 metres, starting on Wednesday, so he was going to try to keep us south of the worst of it. Whilst that’s clearly sensible, I hope that it doesn’t result in our Bermuda call being impacted, as that was a major selling point for the cruise for me. Before Sunday night was out we had started to experience movement again and the ruddy ceiling creak has started again. I wonder if reporting it for the 5th time might result  in someone at least coming to look at it?

We had a drink in the Crows nest before dinner. The waiter managed to find a Doom Bar that hadn’t long been in the fridge. When I posted the menus earlier there was some interest in the rather odd concoction of Piri Piri chicken with rice, coleslaw, chips and gravy. It all sounded such an odd combination of things that I decided to give it a go and I actually enjoyed it 😂 

After dinner we went to the first Headliners show of the cruise ‘On the Horizon’. Entertainment managers on P&O are all of a type, and the one that we have could easily pass as Ted Bovis from Hi di Hi. He explained that the Headliners troupe had just joined and that all but two of them were brand new to P&O. Taking that into consideration, their performance was excellent. The dancing was stronger than the singing, but one of the 3 male singers has a particularly good voice. As they gel and get into their stride, I think they will be a good troupe. I was pleased to hear that we will have Neil Lockwood on board. I haven’t seen him before but understand he is very good, even though he wasn’t, as many seem to think, a member of the proper ELO band. 

We have the first of many one hour time changes tonight and it’s already quite rough with the ruddy ceiling creaking, so wish us luck 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Whilst there was a little rocking overnight, it wasn’t enough to set the creaking ceiling off. However, one of our cabin neighbours had committed the cardinal sin of leaving a piece of balcony furniture touching the edge of the balcony, so in the wind we had a noise like a low level rapid hammering as the offending metal framed chair or table rattled against the metal balcony 🙄. For balance, I should say that our cabin neighbours both sides and above have been very considerate so far this cruise, which has been a huge relief given how poor the sound insulation is on Aurora. Our dining companions have been less fortunate and can hear drawers slamming and the TV from their neighbours. 

We arrived into Funchal a couple of hours early and it was still pitch dark. Ventura followed us in a while later but, as we were first to arrive, we secured poll position closest to the port exit. This is just as well as we didn’t intend to use the shuttle this time as, due to the time taken to load and unload wheelchairs and scooters, it took longer than walking when we were here a few months ago. Once Ventura had berthed an ambulance with its blue lights flashing pulled up alongside her, so I hope that whoever that is for is able to continue their cruise once attended to. 

Last entry times for breakfast are still the old ‘early’ times of 9.30am on sea days and 9am on port days, which is a shame as we often find that to be a rush. However, we managed to get to the Medina restaurant in good time. Our favourite restaurant host Rachel knew the names and cabin numbers of all 3 couples ahead of us in the queue without looking them up, so it isn’t just us! When we got to the front I told her that she is superhuman! Her colleague said that Rachel remembers everything and Rachel added “and you told me that you are grumpy in the mornings so like a table for 2”. Hilarious 🤣 People like Rachel can really make a cruise and we are so glad to have her on this very long journey. She’s an absolute star. 

After breakfast we had a good walk around Funchal. We were glad that we hadn’t bothered with the shuttle as it was a lovely walk along the promenade. We walked all the way to the end and then cut back through the town to the market, which I was given to believe was open 7 days bit isn’t. Unfortunately it was also closed when we came in October, that time due to a public holiday. I poked my head in the cathedral which was packed. Clearly more religious types here than at home!

As we started to make our way back to the ship it started raining and we got rather wet. I stopped at a shop to buy two 1.5 litre bottles of water which worked out at half the price of buying them on the ship. We skipped lunch as I’d booked a tour leaving at 1.30pm. Leisurely scenes of Madeira was certainly leisurely but the low cloud cover and intermittent rain impacted on the scenic bit. The first view over Funchal was OK but as we climbed up into the mountains the visibility was poor. I was amazed at the Eucalyptus forests (which you could smell even inside the coach) and the banana plants (trees?) everywhere. Also poinsettia growing wild. 

We visited the highest cape in Europe and I bravely stood on a glass and mesh floored gantry overhanging a sheer 1,900 foot cliff. However, you could barely see a thing. You could just make out the waves way down below but couldn’t see the view at all. We passed through the village that Winston Churchill famously painted but didn’t stop. It was a good way to while away an afternoon and was still enjoyable, but would be ten times better on a dry and clear day. 

Returning to the ship and having had nothing to eat since breakfast, we decided to grab a quick sandwich or something to tie us over until dinner at 8pm. It was just before 5.30pm. We decided to go to Raffles (coffee shop) as I’d noticed that they had some sandwiches yesterday. The food counter was empty. Ok, we will go to the buffet. Up to deck 12 and it’s closed because they are setting up for dinner, starting at 6pm. I remembered this nonsense on Ventura as well. We don’t want a full meal, just a snack. Why not keep one small section open for this purpose? Finally we tried the outdoor grill area and, yes, you guessed it, closed as well. I had always been under the misguided belief that one of the selling points about cruises was that there was always somewhere open to get food. This is clearly not the case.

As we left Madeira the Captain informed us that we are due to track through a major storm system during our transatlantic, with 3 days of minimum force 10 and waves of 11 metres, starting on Wednesday, so he was going to try to keep us south of the worst of it. Whilst that’s clearly sensible, I hope that it doesn’t result in our Bermuda call being impacted, as that was a major selling point for the cruise for me. Before Sunday night was out we had started to experience movement again and the ruddy ceiling creak has started again. I wonder if reporting it for the 5th time might result  in someone at least coming to look at it?

We had a drink in the Crows nest before dinner. The waiter managed to find a Doom Bar that hadn’t long been in the fridge. When I posted the menus earlier there was some interest in the rather odd concoction of Piri Piri chicken with rice, coleslaw, chips and gravy. It all sounded such an odd combination of things that I decided to give it a go and I actually enjoyed it 😂 

After dinner we went to the first Headliners show of the cruise ‘On the Horizon’. Entertainment managers on P&O are all of a type, and the one that we have could easily pass as Ted Bovis from Hi di Hi. He explained that the Headliners troupe had just joined and that all but two of them were brand new to P&O. Taking that into consideration, their performance was excellent. The dancing was stronger than the singing, but one of the 3 male singers has a particularly good voice. As they gel and get into their stride, I think they will be a good troupe. I was pleased to hear that we will have Neil Lockwood on board. I haven’t seen him before but understand he is very good, even though he wasn’t, as many seem to think, a member of the proper ELO band. 

We have the first of many one hour time changes tonight and it’s already quite rough with the ruddy ceiling creaking, so wish us luck 😂 

Re Medina breakfast:

Fried bread is an option, but not on the menu, we also found that the breakfast sausages were actually chipolatas, and beans or tinned tomatoes were served in little ramekins the smallest sizes possible, so we always asked for 2 portions, Also the Medina lunch time we always had a mix and match lunch, choosing whatever we fancied from whatever parts of the menu, and as much as required, but always washed down with a bottle of Chablis, or Money Spider, and always on table 109. Trust it will not be to rough for both of you going forward

• Like 4

A pity about the weather in Funchal.  When we are there in February I don't think we will bother with the shuttle if it's just a short way into town.

I would be really annoyed if, like you, I returned to the ship and couldn't find anything to eat, anywhere. Not good at all!

The chicken, rice, coleslaw, chips, and gravy made me think of when you really can't be bothered to cook a proper meal at home; what we call a 'make-do tea'.😉

Loved ELO, but could never really get into ELO Part II.  It niggled me when he has been billed previously as 'ELO's Neil Lockwood'.  The pedant in me wanted to tell the editor of Horizon to get their act together!🤭

Here's hoping that you have a reasonably good journey towards Bermuda, and Captain Baldrick's cunning plan works and you avoid the worst of the weather.🤞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you did a lot in Madeira but such a shame the weather closed in early.

Selbourne I have a breakfast tip , you may already know this but in the restaurant you go for breakfast you can ask for square toast this is much better as it has those hard crunchy crust cut off and is much better (fresher) than the triangles you get that go flying across the table, sometimes I go to the buffet and ask for thick sliced toast and wait while it’s done and that is nice .

Seen Neil Lockwood a few times now and he is very good but very popular so getting a seat early is a must 

Thanks for all your pictures and I hope it’s not going to be too bumpy for the next bit .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We call at Funchal twice in our upcoming cruise, and have been looking at tours, so was interesting to read your account of the trip you took. Thank you.

We saw Neil Lockwood when on Arvia last year and he was good, well worth going to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some sunrise over the Atlantic shots from an hour or so ago

IMG_1047.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

IMG_2848.jpeg

Hope the “red sky in the morning, shepherd’s warning” (not sure if it is one shepherd or multiple ones, but I’ve opted for one 🤣) is not an ominous sign!

Have a hopefully wonderful calm day at sea.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Here is the view from the highest point on Madeira you mentioned.

I thought Neil Lockwood was excellent,he took over from Jeff Lynn after he left.

I know some think ELO was Jeff Lynn but they were still good with the addition of Neil Lockwood.

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.f03b0ae64098622c937a5fd357a33aa9.jpegIMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.4e88a0ed2d7d776188823f4aaf81f9c6.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, JeanieC,Aston said:

Here is the view from the highest point on Madeira you mentioned.

I thought Neil Lockwood was excellent,he took over from Jeff Lynn after he left.

I know some think ELO was Jeff Lynn but they were still good with the addition of Neil Lockwood.

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.f03b0ae64098622c937a5fd357a33aa9.jpegIMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.4e88a0ed2d7d776188823f4aaf81f9c6.jpeg

Yes, I could imagine that the view would have been as good as that 😂