Rover has arrived

On 1/10/2024 at 9:51 AM, Saab4444 said:

Poor dog, why do they do this to him? He should have a life as a dog and not as a mascot prisoned on a noisy crowded ship.

I'm thinking the same thing.  A ship is no place for a dog.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2024 at 4:20 PM, Mikew0805 said:

Well I am fairly confident that Royal knows what they are permitted to do on their own foreign flagged ship. However, if you are fully aware of something else, maybe you should reach out to the legal department at Royal, and advise.

You mean the same legal department that was unaware of the  liquor laws in Texas when their ships were docked in Galveston ?

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2024 at 6:45 PM, shipgeeks said:

I'm still curious what the point is, of having a "mascot" dog aboard.

This type of dog makes most people feel good. Calm, friendly, happy, intelligent, patient and loving animals. Great emotional support dogs. Often found in hospitals. I think this dog is well taken care of and most certainly will be received favorably. Good idea.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2024 at 6:45 PM, shipgeeks said:

I'm still curious what the point is, of having a "mascot" dog aboard.

Revenue driver.

Kid:  [whiny voice] "I want to sail with Rover."

Mom/Dad:  Icon booked.

Will sell many, many photos that include Rover.

Lunch with Rover.

Nap with Rover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

How can you? Are you in charge? 

Gosh, some people just always choose to be snarky.  I, like Becciboo, am thrilled that Rover is on board.  Probably great therapy dog for the crew, will definitely be loved and has one caretaker that he is with almost all the time:  she was hired for this purpose.  So he has his bonding person.  The real question should be: who wouldn't be happy with a lovable golden retriever on board?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Alison Hubble is one of the friendliest crew members  we've ever met onboard. (She was working at NextCruise at the time.)

7 hours ago, RobInMN said:

No, Rover is not going to be free roaming, and she won't belong to the Captain.

RC Blog posted a story on the 18th about Rover's handler, Alison Hubble, title "Rover's Chief of Staff".

Apparently there won't be any sort of official schedule (it's up to Rover). 

No mention of a second handler that would rotate with Alison.

The article said that they spent time on Freedom prior to going to Icon.

1 hour ago, topanga49er said:

Gosh, some people just always choose to be snarky.  I, like Becciboo, am thrilled that Rover is on board.  Probably great therapy dog for the crew, will definitely be loved and has one caretaker that he is with almost all the time:  she was hired for this purpose.  So he has his bonding person.  The real question should be: who wouldn't be happy with a lovable golden retriever on board?

She was already an employee of Royal before being made a dog handler.

4 hours ago, bilyclub said:

You mean the same legal department that was unaware of the  liquor laws in Texas when their ships were docked in Galveston ?

Sure... actually contact anyone you like to tell the company how they have to run their business. Listen, I do not like the dog being on board, (I don't like animals doing anything for humans) but I am not sure why anyone would think they could tell this company what to do with their own $1b+ foreign flagged ship.

One entitled Pinnacle already tried that on FB, and it was nice to see them shoot her down. The audacity of some people to think they have a say in how the company is run. Too funny.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2024 at 4:14 PM, bilyclub said:

In Florida non service animals are not allowed in food licensed premises.

And, for the most part, Florida laws, or Federal laws, do not apply to foreign flag cruise ships, particularly their "internal policies and procedures", as found by SCOTUS in Spector v NCL.  Non-service dogs are allowed in stores, hotels, and other public places in Florida, so Rover would be free to be almost anywhere other than restaurants on the ship.  

12 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm thinking the same thing.  A ship is no place for a dog.

11 hours ago, RJ257 said:

This type of dog makes most people feel good. Calm, friendly, happy, intelligent, patient and loving animals. Great emotional support dogs. Often found in hospitals. I think this dog is well taken care of and most certainly will be received favorably. Good idea.

I actually agree with both of your answers.  

In one way I say it really isn’t fair for the dog, but I also think the dog will get all the love in the world from guests. 

9 hours ago, bilyclub said:

She was already an employee of Royal before being made a dog handler.

Many move through the roles on RC ships,  Genies had other jobs before coming Genies on the ship.   

7 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

One entitled Pinnacle already tried that on FB, and it was nice to see them shoot her down. The audacity of some people to think they have a say in how the company is run. Too funny.

I would have liked to have read this but never saw it. The cynic in me wonders if they were jealous that the ships dog would take attention away from their dog. 

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I would have liked to have read this but never saw it. The cynic in me wonders if they were jealous that the ships dog would take attention away from their dog. 

It is still in the P group on FB. I was drinking coffee when I read it, and well... I snorted. Hot coffee everywhere. Totally worth it.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, Mikew0805 said:

No. There has been no invitation from Royal for such a thing.

People who want to bring their pets don't need invitations, they simply falsify documents.  🙂   This will encourage them, I think.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...