Recent drink price changes?

On a recent (September) Alaskan cruise, Pina Coladas were included in the HIA standard drink package, but now I'm hearing that they're not. Is this correct? I've been told that they're now 50cents higher that the $11 limit. I realize that it's a small difference, but I hate how 50cents here and a dollar there really start to add up. I thought the price limit was usually inline with most "regular" drinks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

I think you could ask for “house” rum and get it under $11. Anyone done that ?

Nope. We are at the Lido as I type,  and the drink prices are the standard price. To be clear: you are able to ask for a cheaper rum but will be charged standard price. Glad we were here to help. Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Musigurl said:

On a recent (September) Alaskan cruise, Pina Coladas were included in the HIA standard drink package, but now I'm hearing that they're not. Is this correct? I've been told that they're now 50cents higher that the $11 limit. I realize that it's a small difference, but I hate how 50cents here and a dollar there really start to add up. I thought the price limit was usually inline with most "regular" drinks.

Just ask for a Pina Colada without Pina.

PinaColadawithoutPIna.jpg.e484be058dbd70b29c0c92aabcf21c6b.jpg

13 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

Sigh.......ok..........thanks everyone! Most other lines seem to keep their prices more inline with what their packages offer.

We are expecting the package to increase, I think.

16 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

Can you upgrade to the Elite drink package on board or do you have to do that before boarding?  I believe the Elite package has drink prices up to $15, correct?

That is the current cut-off for EBP. And currently (or last time I checked) the 15-drink allowance was only for alcoholic beverages, unlimited non-alcoholic. 

Unless something has changed, you can only upgrade the HIA-included SBP to EBP on board and only before having any drink "charged" to the SBP. Visit a bartender (try to find one that is not TOO busy!).

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

That is the current cut-off for EBP. And currently (or last time I checked) the 15-drink allowance was only for alcoholic beverages, unlimited non-alcoholic. 

Unless something has changed, you can only upgrade the HIA-included SBP to EBP on board and only before having any drink "charged" to the SBP. Visit a bartender (try to find one that is not TOO busy!).

On my Rotterdam cruise I got off of last week, I went to the drink station in the Lido and upgraded my drink package before I had my 1st drink.  It was very easy.  I did get charged for some drinks though.  On day 2 I went to guest services and they printed a new card that showed EBP.  Staff looks at that to determine what to charge you.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, keeponcruising said:

On my Rotterdam cruise I got off of last week, I went to the drink station in the Lido and upgraded my drink package before I had my 1st drink.  It was very easy.  I did get charged for some drinks though.  On day 2 I went to guest services and they printed a new card that showed EBP.  Staff looks at that to determine what to charge you.

How much was it to upgrade (per day?)?

10 minutes ago, chawkjewel said:

How much was it to upgrade (per day?)?

$82.60 for the week.  That included the service charge.  I don't know if I would do it again, but one good thing is that it included unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.

• Thanks 1

I am speculating here but I suspect the Crew are going to get very tired of charging the additional 50 cents to a dollar and getting yelled at, as well as Front Desk Crew having to deal with Passengers complaining. Plus now raising the Crew Incentive Feb 1st. I Suspect they will make a big deal about  increasing the allowance of the drinks on the HIA but also quietly again raise the price of adding on the HIA while it also reflects in the pricing of new reservations. Most likely will go to $60.00 or $65.00 per person per day. Most other cruise lines are actually considerably more so at $65.00 pp per day it is still a bargain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Just ask for a Pina Colada without Pina.

I think it would be better to ask for it without Colada. If they don't strain the pineapple juice, the savings in labour of the bartender might bring the price down to $11. 😉

• Haha 1

I think the price raise is a bit of a drag. Thankfully the new, only charge the overage is helpful. Say $.50 to $1.00 per drink isn't that much in reality. Still a bit of cheek on HALs part to go over the threshold with several popular drinks (including one I like and one my wife likes) perhaps they will adjust the drink price max on the package soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, keeponcruising said:

$82.60 for the week.  That included the service charge.  I don't know if I would do it again, but one good thing is that it included unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.

Thank you. I think I’ll be better off just paying the upcharge for the couple drinks per day that may be over $11. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chawkjewel said:

Thank you. I think I’ll be better off just paying the upcharge for the couple drinks per day that may be over $11. 

I think this is the best strategy for most people.

27 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am speculating here but I suspect the Crew are going to get very tired of charging the additional 50 cents to a dollar and getting yelled at, as well as Front Desk Crew having to deal with Passengers complaining. Plus now raising the Crew Incentive Feb 1st. I Suspect they will make a big deal about  increasing the allowance of the drinks on the HIA but also quietly again raise the price of adding on the HIA while it also reflects in the pricing of new reservations. Most likely will go to $60.00 or $65.00 per person per day. Most other cruise lines are actually considerably more so at $65.00 pp per day it is still a bargain.

I think I posted this already on a previous thread, but in Europe the price of adding HIA has increased to €65 per day, which is about US$72 and CAD95. 

I had thought that a work around was to wait until onboard and purchase it then using OBC, but now they have increased the USD price when purchasing it onboard by USD10 per day.Screenshot_20240109_232820_Chrome.thumb.jpg.afb5ab9eeb802ee74f1d438c74ce0a94.jpg

Screenshot_20240109_232842_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9c44122f6f8f876b3004c861e1416b8e.jpg   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KAKcruiser said:

I think if they are going to raise the price of the drinks they should raise the allowance for the drinks.  You shouldn't have to buy an upgrade to get a standard drink.

You are using logic and reason, both of which seem to be absent in the C-Suite in Seattle and wherever they have outsourced all other departments to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KAKcruiser said:

I think if they are going to raise the price of the drinks they should raise the allowance for the drinks.  You shouldn't have to buy an upgrade to get a standard drink.

Technically you don't have to buy the upgrade. Depending on what your beverage of choice is you may still be under the cap. You have to do some math, how many drinks will be over the cap? how much over. Are you going to drink enough of the over $11.00 drinks to justify the extra cost of the premium package? We are looking to extend our booked cruise and may lose some of the perks from the original booking. We had the Premium drink package but will probably be going back to the "classic" package. We don't plan to upgrade the package and will simply pay the overage, that would probably be the best for us, others may take a different path.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Technically you don't have to buy the upgrade. Depending on what your beverage of choice is you may still be under the cap. You have to do some math, how many drinks will be over the cap? how much over. Are you going to drink enough of the over $11.00 drinks to justify the extra cost of the premium package? We are looking to extend our booked cruise and may lose some of the perks from the original booking. We had the Premium drink package but will probably be going back to the "classic" package. We don't plan to upgrade the package and will simply pay the overage, that would probably be the best for us, others may take a different path.

My first HAL cruise is next month. So I'm understanding from this thread that we only pay the overage costs? I mostly drink beer, but probably indulge in one pina colada and one bloody mary per day. Not worth upgrading but would just switch to a daiquiri if I was expected to pay the full $11.50.