Just off Prima- Not the best cruise...

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Getaway has one pool. The Deck 15 (Lido) pool. There are no other options, except hot tubs. Sure the Haven has a pool, but it isn't for the masses. 

Oh, when I was on it, there was a second pool underneath the waterslides, primarily for kids, but we were on a long cruise so no kids and it became the overflow adult pool!! Many liked it because it wasn't 7 ft deep, lol. Maybe it has been removed. It was pre Corona time. We like Getaway!!

Edited by luv2kroooz

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Oh, when I was on it, there was a second pool underneath the waterslides, primarily for kids, but we were on a long cruise so no kids and it became the overflow adult pool!! Many liked it because it wasn't 7 ft deep, lol. Maybe it has been removed. It was pre Corona time. We like Getaway!!

Ahh, I think that might be the splash pad. There could be a small pool there. I wasn't counting it, but I suppose if one is to be technical then yep, you're right! I'm pretty sure it's still there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

Isn't that true for all outdoor spaces on all ships? I would say though that I think this Prima class is better suited to warm weather cruising.

yes, but the other ships, the Haven has a retractable roof.  one can still use the pool, hottubs, deck area, etc. in cold or rainy weather.  we would have had no where to go in inclement weather.  im sure they assume many will sit on their covered balconies but we are people who never use the balcony. its boring!

also, aft haven rooms on Prima overlook sunbathers and a bar down on 8.   you dont get the nice wake view and feeling of serenity and privacy.  we never book these, but i would think regular aft cruisers would be greatly disappointed by this.

• Like 1

I might be the odd one out here, but I think doing away with the Go-carts would be a huge step forward. The amount of prime deck space given up to these things just seems to be such a waste. Most cruises I have been on with these venues they are way under used and closed for large chunks of a day. Surely they could design a better pool deck with dining options and unique features adding more spaces to appeal to far more people.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Yes in those days NCL went all out with entertainment.  Even though Epic got bad reviews from cruisers over the function of the ship, it was #1 in entertainment.  Cruise Critic gave NCL best entertainment at sea to NCL Epic's first year.  Besides those top notch licensed acts you also had Second City comedy troop on board along with dueling pianos, and your typical comedians, etc.
Those were the days!

And they had Slam Allen, a musician from my hometown.

The person in charge of entertainment attended our meet and greet. I told him I was very disappointed. When he asked why, I told him I did not realize we were cruising during Slam's 6 months off. I also later told Slam when we went to see him in a club, that we had missed him on the Epic for our 35th anniversary cruise. I also got him to autograph a CD of his that I have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deck boy Dave said:

I might be the odd one out here, but I think doing away with the Go-carts would be a huge step forward. The amount of prime deck space given up to these things just seems to be such a waste. Most cruises I have been on with these venues they are way under used and closed for large chunks of a day. Surely they could design a better pool deck with dining options and unique features adding more spaces to appeal to far more people.

Many of us couldn't care less about the pool deck. 

IMHO, it's a waste of space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, UKstages said:

the people who deigned the apollo 13 spacecraft designed spaceships for a living.

the people who designed the boeing 737 max designed airplanes for a living.

and, needless to say, the people who designed the prima and the viva are professionals, who design and build and market cruise ships for a living. 

sometimes they get it ridiculously right. and sometimes they get it horribly wrong. and sometimes their product is used in unique and novel ways that the designers had not anticipated - or there are unpredictable catastrophic flaws in infrastructure or design - and course correction is necessary. and sometimes the designers and/or execs are so blind to their own vision, and so removed from the actual user experience that they make terrible unforgivable mistakes.

the people who created "new coke" designed and marketed soft drinks for a living.

the people at kodak, who popularized personal photography and who actually designed the first digital camera, thought it would destroy their company if they didn't protect what they considered their core business... film. and so they abandoned digital photography. they lost huge revenue share and had to file for bankruptcy.

most product failures occur because the business doesn't get feedback from its end users before they launch a new product and/or they are resistant to feedback and course correction after they do. management tends to live in a vacuum, shielded from the real world and the actual customer experience.

you think harry sommer ever walked around the indulge food hall for 45 minutes looking for a table?

you do realize we're not designers or architects, right? most of us can't accept your heartfelt and well-meaning challenge simply because we can't draw or draft blueprints. we also have no formal relationship with NCL that would permit such a project. nor would NCL accept designs from us.

but you don't need to be an architect or ship designer to know there are too few seats in the indulge food hall and that the improv can only fit about 70 people on a ship of 3000 and that there is soot on many deck chairs and that the outdoor space is unusable in cold weather climates and that there are disturbing and persistent noises coming from within the walls of many cabins. and some here on cruise critic and other social media sites have provided that feedback to NCL and also done so in their post-cruise surveys. that's all we can do... it's not our job to design new deck plans or new ships.

what architects do is take that customer feedback and then set about to see if there is a better way to achieve many of the same goals they originally set, while responding to overwhelming customer feedback that may influence their subsequent designs... all while meeting the revenue and budget goals of the cruise line. that's why there is no starbucks in the indulge food hall on the viva!  not because a designer decided he or she had made a mistake... but because hundreds or thousands of guests told NCL that they couldn't find a seat when attempting to dine in indulge.

so, yes, i guess you could say that we do know better.

This has to be one of my favorite posts in awhile.  Well done.

So true about Kodak.  I worked in the research labs there for 25 years and the bad management decisions were apparent to everyone except management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you consider yourselves to be one of the "contemporary cruisers"? That word gets thrown around a lot but is undefined. My understanding is that NCL is a mass market line, catering to middle income families. 

• Haha 1

Regarding embarkation in Galveston,

What time were the room available?

The picture of the rooms show the beds without skirts.

Is there room for luggage?

We are booked on Jan 18, 24 in one of the corner front facing balconies.

Anyone stay in one of those?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yeah, vastly underused deck space is probably the way to go. I mean who goes on a cruise to spend it enjoying the sun and water…….. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've never once stepped foot in the spa or gym.  A complete waste of space. Should be a smoking whisky bar, obviously. 

9 hours ago, njoysun said:

Regarding embarkation in Galveston,

What time were the room available?  Room availability can vary greatly from one cruise date to another!  Generally Speaking, rooms will be available around 3 pm or so.

The picture of the rooms show the beds without skirts.

Is there room for luggage? Absolutely, unless yours is super wide (in which case, it could be placed under the bed opened.)

We are booked on Jan 18, 24 in one of the corner front facing balconies.

Anyone stay in one of those?  Below is a link to my post for the M1 #10106, that we had on the first cruise of the PRIMA out of Galveston 10/31/2022... (POST #577, on page 24 using link below).

I hope that helps! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1981007-ncl-cabin-information-compilation-no-cabin-questions-posted-here-please/page/24/

12 hours ago, Deck boy Dave said:

Yeah, vastly underused deck space is probably the way to go. I mean who goes on a cruise to spend it enjoying the sun and water…….. 

Which is the entire reason I love the ports in the Caribbean.....plenty of beach, sand and crystal blue water to swim in.  Easy to find a place to put my towel and not be disturbed, too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deck boy Dave said:

I grew up in sunny southern Oklahoma where the temps would be over 100 by ten am.  A vacation to me is any place in the shade with airconditioning and cold beverages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just read through all the pages of this thread as I get ready for 4 weeks on the Viva next month. I was on the Prima inaugrial TA so I know basically what to expect, and I look forward to spending a month in the Caribbean on Viva.

Of all the issues mentioned the one most disturbing to me is an entertainment issue - I would love to go to Rumors, or any of the Syd Norman shows, but I can't stand in line for an hour for probable SRO entry, if I'm lucky. I'd love if they added more performances, maybe a matinee show. And book entry to eliminate the  standing in line that favors those who physically can stand for 2 hours or more. Or closed circuit record to show in room, after all, there's nothing worth viewing on the tv so there is plenty of opportunity that would provide access to those who would love to see the shows but can't.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I've never once stepped foot in the spa or gym.  A complete waste of space. Should be a smoking whisky bar, obviously. 

Exactly why gathering 'experienced cruisers' to design a cruise ship is a waste of time.  Some want roller coasters, some want gocarts and others want whiskey bars.   Since the ship is of finite size, there is no way to reconcile these priorities.

when I read these posts about the pool deck, I have to smile. (despite my reputation as a curmudgeon, I smile all the time!) the reason I’m so amused is because I’m thinking about all the threads about the vibe in which many folks claim it’s not worth it… why on earth, they ask, would you spend money for something (they claim) is available for free elsewhere on the ship?

in this thread, we read over and over again that you can’t get a lounge chair, the hot tubs exceed capacity, and the pool deck is packed wall to wall, port to starboard, with a mass of humanity… with rude and inappropriate behavior being the order of the day, along with ever present noise.

and many of those comments are being made by the same folks who - in the vibe threads - insist that what the vibe offers is available elsewhere on the ship for free!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

yes, but the other ships, the Haven has a retractable roof.  one can still use the pool, hottubs, deck area, etc. in cold or rainy weather.  we would have had no where to go in inclement weather.  im sure they assume many will sit on their covered balconies but we are people who never use the balcony. its boring!

also, aft haven rooms on Prima overlook sunbathers and a bar down on 8.   you dont get the nice wake view and feeling of serenity and privacy.  we never book these, but i would think regular aft cruisers would be greatly disappointed by this.

I'm looking forward to reading your review on the Prima and hearing what you liked and didn't like.

We had a balcony room on deck 13 on Viva. If you walked up to the railing and looked down, you could see people on Deck 8 pools and loungers. But when sitting or standing elsewhere on the balcony, all you could see is the ocean. I'm sure it's the same for the aft cabins.

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I've just read through all the pages of this thread as I get ready for 4 weeks on the Viva next month. I was on the Prima inaugrial TA so I know basically what to expect, and I look forward to spending a month in the Caribbean on Viva.

Of all the issues mentioned the one most disturbing to me is an entertainment issue - I would love to go to Rumors, or any of the Syd Norman shows, but I can't stand in line for an hour for probable SRO entry, if I'm lucky. I'd love if they added more performances, maybe a matinee show. And book entry to eliminate the  standing in line that favors those who physically can stand for 2 hours or more. Or closed circuit record to show in room, after all, there's nothing worth viewing on the tv so there is plenty of opportunity that would provide access to those who would love to see the shows but can't.

For Rumors, you can get in line 45 minutes before and they open doors 30 minutes before so its really only 15 minutes of standing.  For the Prom night, we got there 30 minutes before and went right in and got a seat.  This was on a sold out cruise.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Exactly why gathering 'experienced cruisers' to design a cruise ship is a waste of time.  Some want roller coasters, some want gocarts and others want whiskey bars.   Since the ship is of finite size, there is no way to reconcile these priorities.

Experienced cruisers was another thread I started that was meant to be humorous and lighthearted with some legitimate suggestions thrown in. I can't figure out why you were so offended that you have to move to another thread to keep attacking it. Not to worry though, NCL will not listen to anybody who has actually cruised before and will use the same professionals who designed the Prima/Viva to design their next class of ship.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Experienced cruisers was another thread I started that was meant to be humorous and lighthearted with some legitimate suggestions thrown in. I can't figure out why you were so offended that you have to move to another thread to keep attacking it. Not to worry though, NCL will not listen to anybody who has actually cruised before and will use the same professionals who designed the Prima/Viva to design their next class of ship.

NCL doesn't ignore 'experienced cruisers'.  Designing a cruise ship is far more complicated than 'experienced cruisers' imagine.   The fact that some 'experienced cruisers' have found the design of Prima not to their liking says more about those 'experienced cruisers' than it does about the professionals that designed Prima.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

when I read these posts about the pool deck, I have to smile. (despite my reputation as a curmudgeon, I smile all the time!) the reason I’m so amused is because I’m thinking about all the threads about the vibe in which many folks claim it’s not worth it… why on earth, they ask, would you spend money for something (they claim) is available for free elsewhere on the ship?

in this thread, we read over and over again that you can’t get a lounge chair, the hot tubs exceed capacity, and the pool deck is packed wall to wall, port to starboard, with a mass of humanity… with rude and inappropriate behavior being the order of the day, along with ever present noise.

and many of those comments are being made by the same folks who - in the vibe threads - insist that what the vibe offers is available elsewhere on the ship for free!

Good point!  Cruise ships who try to be all things to all people will fail at everything.

Time and again, I've recommended finding the bar outside of Syd's or Cavern Club.  Find a comfy couch or chair.  You're overlooking the ocean.  If the band(s) playing you'll hear that.  You have drinks available to you right there.

For some reason, they'd rather. be IN THE CROWD by the main pool.

Don't get it.  If it's crowded in one place, go to another.

It's the same with people who complain that a bar they were waiting at was 3 deep. It's a cruise ship.  There's always another bar less than 100 feet away with no lines.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

In my experience from the Viva, Prima, Breakaway and Getaway, when I arrived at Syd Norman at 7:00pm for an 8:00pm show, the doors open at 7:30pm and I was always able to grab a seat for every show. Sometimes I would arrange for a group of friends to all arrive at 7:00pm, then take turns going to the restroom or grabbing drinks until the doors open at 7:30pm. 

I envy you being on the Viva for a month. Enjoy!

44 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Not to worry though, NCL will not listen to anybody who has actually cruised before and will use the same professionals who designed the Prima/Viva to design their next class of ship.

The fly in the ointment here is that, for this statement to be valid, the professional ship designers would have to have ZERO cruise experience. Would that be something that is a known fact, or are we simply throwing out wild guesses as to whether or not they have cruise experience of their own?

On 1/16/2024 at 10:36 AM, bluefish17 said:

Isn't that true for all outdoor spaces on all ships? I would say though that I think this Prima class is better suited to warm weather cruising.

Many of the Havens, except GA and now Prima Class, have a covered pool lounge area with a movable roof.  Jewel class are small, but still something.

I'd agree, suited for warm weather.  We had 11 days in cold and that outside Haven area wasted space.