Those Refillable Water Bottles….

harryw

Please don’t jump on me for this query, but we recently finished our first O

cruise that provided them in the cabin. Where are the touted numerous locations to fill them? I had no interest in using them but don’t recall seeing filling stations.

They would wheel one into the theater before shore excursions.  I remember one on the pool deck somewhere.  I think there may have been one near the pool grill, either inside or out.

Like you, I had no interest in using it, as it was single-wall aluminum.  No insulating factor, would generate a ton of condensation if you put in ice and cold water, and was virtue signaling of the first order.

• Like 2

I bring my own insulated water bottle use those refill stations a lot! In addition to @FlyerTalker's list (yes you are right on Insignia there's one near Waves, just aft of the pool) there was a filler station on Insignia and Nautica on deck 4 port side at forward stair/elevator lobby (actually just in the hallway from said lobby), one a deck up from the pool on R ships (midships at the forward end of the walking track) and also at least one in Horizons.

On Riviera now, they are in terrace Cafe and I've seen them around the ship, but I fill mine from the water left in the Vero water bottle in cabin. Shame that they didn't buy insulated bottles.

• Like 1

We bought insulated sleeves that fit over the bottles provided and also flip top straws that fit - we take those with us and use with provided onboard containers.  Take very little room in suitcase and turn the containers provided into very useful water bottles.  I know O should just provide in the first place but this is our very inexpensive work around....

• Like 5

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They would wheel one into the theater before shore excursions.  I remember one on the pool deck somewhere.  I think there may have been one near the pool grill, either inside or out.

Like you, I had no interest in using it, as it was single-wall aluminum.  No insulating factor, would generate a ton of condensation if you put in ice and cold water, and was virtue signaling of the first order.

Not trying to get into an argument about the environmental impact (what I think you meant by "virtue signaling"), but the alternative is plastic water bottles. How many do you think Oceania would have to supply and then dispose of for 700-1000 passengers on a 7 to 28 day or longer cruise?

But I agree that the aluminum bottles supplied are useless. We brought our own.

BTW, there's a filling station in the gym, as well.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, basor said:

We bought insulated sleeves that fit over the bottles provided and also flip top straws that fit - we take those with us and use with provided onboard containers.  Take very little room in suitcase and turn the containers provided into very useful water bottles.  I know O should just provide in the first place but this is our very inexpensive work around....

Could you please link to the insulated sleeves and flip top straws that you purchased?

• Like 1

I’m just wondering what happens to all of the water bottles left behind onboard.  Are they cleaned properly and re-provisioned?  I certainly hope so.  We took our water bottles home with us, since this was our first Oceania cruise.  We have another one for 2025, and if they continue this program, we are not sure what we will do with the ones we get onboard at that time.  We already have more water bottles that we can ever use (they are very popular “gifts” from companies, etc. right now).  Do some of the more prolific Oceania customers have a stockpile of these bottles in their homes??

13 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I’m just wondering what happens to all of the water bottles left behind onboard.  Are they cleaned properly and re-provisioned?

I sincerely doubt that they have equipment and staff to properly sanitize a used bottle.  My guess is that they get handled like any other aluminum waste generated onboard, such as soda cans.  And the plastic lids -- well, we can just ignore that they are made from plastic, it's the aluminum that is the "reducing waste" item.

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I sincerely doubt that they have equipment and staff to properly sanitize a used bottle.  My guess is that they get handled like any other aluminum waste generated onboard, such as soda cans.  And the plastic lids -- well, we can just ignore that they are made from plastic, it's the aluminum that is the "reducing waste" item.

If that’s the case, I’m not sure how ecologically sound this practice is.  Perhaps there should be a way for a passenger to “opt out” of this onboard.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

If that’s the case, I’m not sure how ecologically sound this practice is.  Perhaps there should be a way for a passenger to “opt out” of this onboard.

We don’t use ours and just leave them where they are with the labels  still on. Hopefully they will realise they are unused and just use again. However, my guess is they can’t do that for ‘hygiene’ reasons!

Edited by Vallesan

11 hours ago, shepherd really said:

But for the same amount of money or less you can just buy an insulated water bottle

Actually , no ..total investment per bottle was about $15.00 and they take up no room and no weight in our suitcase.  We initially took one set of bottles home with us and use the cover and flip top on those at home.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:08 AM, Redtravel said:

Useless.  If you fill with ice water, they sweat. They melt quickly. I don’t use them. I leave them behind. I bring my own insulated container.

I agree, but the same could be said about the disposable plastic they replaced.  For those of us that brought insulated bottles even before I appreciate the refilling stations around the ship. 

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

I just ordered the sleeves and straw lids. Many thanks for the links! I too do not care to use valuable suitcase space for my own insulated bottles.

I carry my water bottle with me 24/7/365 so not an issue for me.

3 hours ago, clo said:

I carry my water bottle with me 24/7/365 so not an issue for me.

We do too but manage for the time between leaving our house and stepping onboard with water supplied onboard plane and at hotel....

On 1/18/2024 at 5:33 PM, redshine said:

What size are the water bottles that the ship gives

Too large.  

My purse will hold a smaller (plastic) bottle in it's front pocket, impossible with this big bottle.  Now in search of something smaller, non plastic, I can bring with me.  Didn't like these at all and left them in room when we debarked.