Bringing Soda Wine or water onboard

stewybell

4 minutes ago, stewybell said:

What is the regulation for bringing water, pop and wine on board?

Look up your Passage Contract.  It's all laid out in there.  Supposedly, we can no longer carry on water/soda in plastic bottles even though Princess sells water in plastic bottles.  Look for cans or paperboard options to be safe.

You can bring quite a lot of wine on.  Certainly up to two cases will be no problem - other than you managing it.  You get a bottle free per person and the rest are subject to a corkage fee.  You may be assessed in the terminal at check-in time, or on the ship when you bring additional bottle(s) to the dining room or other venues.  I have not run into a manned wine table for a long time, but we always arrive for check-in quite early.  I also fine that our waiter may not charge corkage for every bottle.  Anytime you show up with an open bottle, you are not charged again.

We just carried on 2 12-packs of diet Pepsi in Galveston. We have the drink package but prefer diet Pepsi over diet Coke from the gun. We drove to Port so no reason not to carry on. They had a table after security where they took out every can from the sealed boxes and checked them over, then taped them back up. It was quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I need to get some Canada Dry diet ginger ale cans at the grocery store the day prior to the cruise.  Fingers crossed that they have some as I'm sure not going to find any onboard!

On 1/21/2024 at 9:45 AM, Paula_MacFan said:

They had a table after security where they took out every can from the sealed boxes and checked them over, then taped them back up. It was quick.

What???

You got to be kidding me (I know you’re not but WTH?).

What did they think you were smuggling in?
Never seen or heard of this this kind of silliness for sodas in all our cruising years🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AZjohn said:

What???

You got to be kidding me (I know you’re not but WTH?).

What did they think you were smuggling in?
Never seen or heard of this this kind of silliness for sodas in all our cruising years🤪

I suppose some people try to smuggle in booze that way. We have the drink package so no reason to smuggle. We just like pepsi better than coke and since we drove to port there was no reason not to carry on. 

I want to know if you are in a port for a day and pick up a bottle of wine to drink on your balcony does that work? any fees? 

I do not buy the drink pkg - would never consume that much..but like a drink on my balcony when relaxing before dinner...

• Like 1

We boarded Regal at Galveston for the NYE cruise. We had 3 bottles of wine (for 3 people) in our carry on bags. When we went through the X-ray detector, they pulled my bag over... it was NOT the one that had the wine. It did have a plastic bottle of BBQ sauce from Buc-ees, which I gave away at the Cruise Critic gathering. They inspected it and let me go. They didn't care about the wine. I was just packing up my bag again and we were walking away when I saw a table with some Princess people at it. I walked on by, and a few seconds later wondered if that had been the wine table (which makes sense, since it was right after security/scanners). Since we were already past, and we had an allowable amount of wine, I didn't go back.

In 2022, I did a NYE cruise on Celebrity out of Long Beach (same port that Princess/the original Love Boat uses/d). They pulled my bag at the scanners and I wasn't certain why. They asked me if I had any alcohol, and I told them no... this repeated another couple of times. They didn't like my answers, so they made me pull over and dump out my bag. Turned out they didn't like my toiletries case, with my 3 oz bottles of moisturizer, toner, shampoo, etc. They inspected all of them. I guess they thought I was smuggling in alcohol in those tiny bottles? I have to think that these people were over-zealous and not the norm, because I have never heard of that happening to anyone else. I was annoyed, but also amused. I was wondering if they were going to drink my moisturizer to check and see if it was alcohol!

Edited by helenb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I suppose some people try to smuggle in booze that way. We have the drink package so no reason to smuggle. We just like pepsi better than coke and since we drove to port there was no reason not to carry on. 

Oh, I hear you about Diet Pepsi, it’s all I drink and taste so much better than Diet Coke. Of course 90% of the world doesn’t agree with us (lol🤣).

This ridiculous search must be either a Texas thing or the want-to-be ATF agent is taking his/her job waaaaaay to serious 🤣🤣

• Like 3

Apparently some people try to smuggle on beer in the soda cartons by replaced all the sodas with beer except the ones that show and glue it back together.  They are getting caught all the time.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:45 AM, Paula_MacFan said:

We just carried on 2 12-packs of diet Pepsi in Galveston. We have the drink package but prefer diet Pepsi over diet Coke from the gun. We drove to Port so no reason not to carry on. They had a table after security where they took out every can from the sealed boxes and checked them over, then taped them back up. It was quick.

just curios what you mean by they checked each can?  did they think it was disguised beer or something?

1 hour ago, dockman said:

just curios what you mean by they checked each can?  did they think it was disguised beer or something?

Yes. They opened up the cardboard 12-pack box and took out every can and looked it over. Then put them back in the box and taped it back up.

5 hours ago, Pittypatbr said:

Apparently some people try to smuggle on beer in the soda cartons by replaced all the sodas with beer except the ones that show and glue it back together.  They are getting caught all the time.

One time in Ft Lauderdale I had numerous cans of soda scattered throughout my luggage (full size) and they questioned me if it was beer. 

I told them to go right ahead & check it....they told me to proceed. 😄

I suppose I sounded convincing  enough. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ba5eline said:

do they restrict wine to only wine? like if I wanted to bring a bottle of Bellini would they rip it out it my luggage and smash it into the garbage can??

They'll most likely treat as wine since the alcohol content is low.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, Paula_MacFan said:

We have always picked up a carton or two of seltzer in FLL and taped a luggage tag to them, delivered to our room with no problem. I"m hoping the Boost that my husband will bring along (due to some swallowing issues, he supplements with it) will not be confiscated due to being in plastic bottles.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:45 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

They had a table after security where they took out every can from the sealed boxes and checked them over, then taped them back up. It was quick.

Never, ever on dozens of Princess cruises have I heard of this being done. Perhaps this is something new. 
Would really like to hear from others on this subject. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:01 PM, Kallen said:

I need to get some Canada Dry diet ginger ale cans at the grocery store the day prior to the cruise.  Fingers crossed that they have some as I'm sure not going to find any onboard!

Kerry- this is my favorite soda too.  Canada Dry is the best.  I wish they had it onboard, but yeah, I know, they can't stock everything!

I love to use it a mixer with vodka and a splash of Grand Marnier as part of a mule.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, antsp said:

One time we took a load of rum and vodka onboard in Rum Runners. This one time security didn't see it. 

I suspect that using Rumrunners isn't a common these days as it use to be with many people now having the packages.