Is this an option for a new NCL show?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/prince-s-purple-rain-to-become-broadway-musical/ar-AA1mJ0IO

The movie Purple Rain will get a Broadway show adaptation soon.  This would be a large theater production, with several singers and actors.

I think it would be a good choice (maybe a slimmed down version) for several reasons.

1. Prince's music is still very popular.  Its appeal spans from late baby boomers to millennials.

2. Updates NCL's rapidly ageing music choices, adding something that cruisers in their 40's and 50's will like more than older 60-70's music.

3. The movie was popular, the name is unique, most will know what it is.

4. Several sing along songs, including the title song.  See U-tube videos.

5. Better singers and actors are more likely to sign up for a new show vs older productions.

6. Advertising opportunities for NCL, which can help expand the customer base.

Thoughts and comments?

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It would instantly be my favorite NCL Broadway type show.  Prince was great.  IIRC, he was such a good song writer/creator that he had to set up others to perform his stuff.  Bangles?  The Time?  RIP Prince.

One of the greatest guitarists that I've ever seen and I've seen most of them. 

Just an awesome performer! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

Based on a 40-year-old movie?  Give us something from this century.

40 year old (and older) movies were a whole lot better than the crap they've made in this century.  I find it all totally unwatchable (except for 2009 Watchmen, and I guess 2003 Kill Bill, I'm sure there are a handful of others).  That said, I doubt we'll see a Broadway version of Kill Bill. 🤣

So yeah, give me that Purple Rain!!!😎

Siglo added the song to their repertoire last April and played it for the first time during the second week of our B2B.  Randy did an amazing job (as always) on the lead guitar.

As a Gen Xer, I would love a Prince show on the ship.  I doubt it will happen but I’d love it if it did.  I really liked the Donna Summer show on the Prima.  Just saw Million Dollar Quartet on the Getaway and even though that’s older I still loved it.  The only production show I didn’t care for was Footloose on the Joy.  I never saw the movie, never had any urge to watch it, and after seeing the show I definitely have no desire to see it.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

40 year old (and older) movies were a whole lot better than the crap they've made in this century.  I find it all totally unwatchable (except for 2009 Watchmen, and I guess 2003 Kill Bill, I'm sure there are a handful of others).  That said, I doubt we'll see a Broadway version of Kill Bill. 🤣

So yeah, give me that Purple Rain!!!😎

Siglo added the song to their repertoire last April and played it for the first time during the second week of our B2B.  Randy did an amazing job (as always) on the lead guitar.

Kill Bill volume 2 is the superior Kill Bill movie 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

One of the greatest guitarists that I've ever seen and I've seen most of them. 

Just an awesome performer! 

The best super bowl half time show ever.  No one can come close to him playing in the pouring rain, and singing "Purple Rain".

I didn't like Prince when he first came out, but grew to like him, even through his "artist formerly known as Prince" phase.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Based on a 40-year-old movie?  Give us something from this century.

Spice World (the Spice Girls movie) could replace "SIX".

I liked Spice World, it was silly and had dumb situations, like the Beatles "Help".  But the songs were catchy and became hits.

18 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

I didn't like Prince when he first came out, but grew to like him, even through his "artist formerly known as Prince" phase.

I believe that we can blame the lawyers for that.  It was never an expression of his creative genius.  Perhaps more his fierce independence and, in the spirit of Sinatra, a desire to do it "my way."

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

We could have a show featuring all the Rock Stars who are dead…

We could cover every generation!

Well, I have been known to request some J.S. Bach from the very best piano players.  I've never been denied.  They know good music much better than the vast majority of 🤡's on a cruise ship.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Spice World (the Spice Girls movie) could replace "SIX".

I liked Spice World, it was silly and had dumb situations, like the Beatles "Help".  But the songs were catchy and became hits.

You're killing me here.....

• Haha 1

Would be very interesting for sure, but I think they'd get a better deal on Billboards right now.

That said, if it were up to me, NCL would be getting the rights to Spam A Lot.

• Like 1