New format test

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback, this is just a test.  This type of upvoting on answers to questions appears to be very popular on other forums such as reddit. 

And no one is in trouble.... really do appreciate this feedback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I appreciate efforts to improve our community, this is not an improvement by any stretch.   I like to see who was the last person to respond before I click on the latest post.  Most of us have posters whose content we don't want to bother clicking on.

Bad feel to this forum now visually.   It's like you took away the Filet and gave us a Hot Dog.  😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LauraS said:

I appreciate all the feedback; this is just a test! 

It's very popular on forums such as reddit, but I agree this wouldn't work on most of our other forums. Perfect example would be posting live from the ship....or reviews....since it is the replies to topics that are upvoted.

We'll give it through the end of the week.  Please continue to post your opinions....

Laura

Well this is not reddit - or another form of social media - it is Cruise Critic.  I didn't realize the goal here was to increase a posters' karma.  And if by your own admission it wouldn't work on most of the other forums, then why do it here? IMO it clearly has no value here either.  If you think it has value with reviews or live posting from a ship, then perhaps try it there and see what feedback you receive there.  IMO your test has failed already based on the feedback thus far.  Please listen to your membership.  Why even wait till the end of the week, unless someone internally is trying to increase their own karma!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LauraS said:

Thanks for the feedback, this is just a test.  This type of upvoting on answers to questions appears to be very popular on other forums such as reddit. 

Maybe if you forewarned the members by announcing the change on a test forum first the feedback would not have been as negative and would have been more relevant to the end result you are trying to achieve. No one saw this mess coming, however. Still likely would not have been supportive but perhaps more objective in tone.

BTW, looks like you are 0 for 2 on response threads with "upvoting your fave".

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Please return to the old format.  This one is ridiculous and as JB put it, if it doesn't go back to the old format, then I won't be reading it.  Please don't change anything else!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LauraS said:

It's very popular on forums such as reddit, but I agree this wouldn't work on most of our other forums. Perfect example would be posting live from the ship....or reviews....since it is the replies to topics that are upvoted.

We'll give it through the end of the week.  Please continue to post your opinions....

Laura

The fact that every thread seems to have 0 votes speaks a lot to the reaction from your regular posters. This is a terrible experiment. Giving it until the end of the week is not going to do anything but turn off more people!

• Like 1

If you were serious about getting opinions, you would have permitted posters the option of DOWN-voting this project.  You have turned a useful forum into a pointless exercise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

At the risk of getting in trouble with the moderators...What have you done to this forum??? 😮

This isn't a joke forum or someplace to have fun. People ask serious questions needing answers...even if many of the answers are obvious to those of us who are experienced cruisers.

Who is deciding what a "best answer" is?

The way it works is that the “best answer” is decided by the upvotes. So far I don’t see any upvotes so the test is a total failure to this point. I did do several upvotes to test what effect they would have. They moved the upvoted posts to earlier in the thread. As I was just making the upvotes as a test I withdrew the upvotes. They have upvoting on other forums like Reddit but they have a whole different culture there. Not surprising that it has been unpopular here. Starting with cruise critic members have always been resistant to changes. Second it probably takes more involvement than we want. Likes are probably enough involvement in judging posts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Laura

I have what I think are a couple of legitimate questions.  What is your end game goal with revising this format?  You reference reddit more than once on these response threads.  Do you want to shape CC after them?  Their primary demographics is the 18 - 29 age group.  How does that relate to Cruise Critic at all?  I won't do it here but suggest you study reddit's mission statement and tell me how that relates to that of Cruise Critic.  I guess I don't see the connection between the two forums even remotely, in particular with wanting to copy and install the upvote function now as a key element to the thread discussions.

Maybe I'm missing something, so please enlighten me.

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe I'm missing something, so please enlighten me

Possibly the idea is to draw more involvement. However in my opinion they are missing the way R and F are getting more involvement. Both have apps that people use on their smartphones. 

• Like 2

I just posted this on the other response thread to this "test", but thought it might have merit here as well and perhaps will elicit a response from you.

I have what I think are a couple of legitimate questions.  What is your end game goal with revising this format?  You reference reddit more than once on these response threads.  Do you want to shape CC after them?  Their primary demographics is the 18 - 29 age group.  How does that relate to Cruise Critic at all?  I won't do it here but suggest you study reddit's mission statement and tell me how that relates to that of Cruise Critic.  I guess I don't see the connection between the two forums even remotely, in particular with wanting to copy and install the upvote function now as a key element to the thread discussions.

Maybe I'm missing something, so please enlighten me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The way it works is that the “best answer” is decided by the upvotes. So far I don’t see any upvotes so the test is a total failure to this point. I did do several upvotes to test what effect they would have. They moved the upvoted posts to earlier in the thread. As I was just making the upvotes as a test I withdrew the upvotes. They have upvoting on other forums like Reddit but they have a whole different culture there. Not surprising that it has been unpopular here. Starting with cruise critic members have always been resistant to changes. Second it probably takes more involvement than we want. Likes are probably enough involvement in judging posts. 

Voting on posts reorders the thread? That says 'total failure' - reordering the thread will loose any content for the posting in the conversation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Possibly the idea is to draw more involvement. However in my opinion they are missing the way R and F are getting more involvement. Both have apps that people use on their smartphones. 

Well if that involvement is to morph these boards into popularity contests, then count me out.  I want meaningful answers to questions and inciteful responses to different cruise issues.  Being upvoted to enhance one's karma (per reddit) kind of misses those points with me.

8 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Voting on posts reorders the thread? That says 'total failure' - reordering the thread will loose any content for the posting in the conversation.

It also doesn't provide any assurance that those more popular posters who get "upvoted" are indeed correct with their information.  It usually means they just post more frequently, and may as a result be more recognized.  IMO that doesn't mean they have the better answers.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

You can choose to sort a thread you are reading by date rather than votes. I discovered that after a few hours. Not immediately obvious. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The fact that every thread seems to have 0 votes speaks a lot to the reaction from your regular posters. This is a terrible experiment. Giving it until the end of the week is not going to do anything but turn off more people!

Well, I just turned it on yesterday!

• Haha 1

Two questions:  

1) Why can't I vote for myself?  

2) Before we could click on the most recent post.   Do we now have to scroll through the entire thread to a current post?  

Edit:  I should have read further because question 2 was answered in post #12.   Is there a way to make that a default and get rid of this "votes" view? 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well if that involvement is to morph these boards into popularity contests, then count me out.  I want meaningful answers to questions and inciteful responses to different cruise issues.  Being upvoted to enhance one's karma (per reddit) kind of misses those points with me.

The actual intention is for the correct answer to be upvoted -- it shouldn't be about the user at all.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Two questions:  

1) can I vote for myself?  

2) Before we could click on the most recent post.   Do we now have to scroll through the entire thread to a current post?  

Edit:  Question 2 was answered in post #12. 

You can't vote for yourself. On R some buy votes but I think that is against their rules but rules get broken. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1