Apex, Beyond or Ascent?

kaz828

Which do you prefer and why? 

I have only done MSC Yacht Club recently (and loved it), long time ago did RCCL and Disney.

We are a couple in our 40's and big in to dining options. This would be for our honeymoon. 

Are you going to book a suite or a non-suite? You can't make a bad choice, Apex is the older, a tiny bit smaller, and is missing the specialty restaurant Le Voyage; the other two are basically the same.  I would look into pricing and itineraries

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Are you going to book a suite or a non-suite? You can't make a bad choice, Apex is the older, a tiny bit smaller, and is missing the specialty restaurant Le Voyage; the other two are basically the same.  I would look into pricing and itineraries

Was not planning to book a suite. Thanks for the info !

Be aware in order to have a traditional balcony, if that’s important to you,  your options on E class are a sunset veranda or a suite. Everything else is an infinity balcony. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

What about the P1 category - Deluxe Porthole Stateroom with Veranda?

That is a traditional balcony albeit small and narrow. But it's a true outdoor space where you can sit OUTSIDE even if it's raining. Also it will have traditional curtains so one can be OUTSIDE and someone else can be inside with the AC on and curtains drawn if desired.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

When you say you are big into dining options - I will say they are a bit limited on the ship unless you go for specialty dining.  There are 4 main dining rooms, but the menus are mostly the same.  The venues are decorated differently.  Be sure to make reservations as early as possible to secure a table/time. 

Have a great honeymoon! 

Specialty dining...

Le Voyage (Beyond and Ascent only)

Fine Cut Steakhouse

Le Grand Bistro

Eden

Raw on 5

Dinner on Edge (which is on the Magic Carpet) - this only operates when conditions are favorable.

Rooftop Grill

3 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

When you say you are big into dining options - I will say they are a bit limited on the ship unless you go for specialty dining.  There are 4 main dining rooms, but the menus are mostly the same.  The venues are decorated differently.  Be sure to make reservations as early as possible to secure a table/time. 

Have a great honeymoon! 

Specialty dining...

Le Voyage (Beyond and Ascent only)

Fine Cut Steakhouse

Le Grand Bistro

Eden

Raw on 5

Dinner on Edge (which is on the Magic Carpet) - this only operates when conditions are favorable.

Rooftop Grill

Thank you, this is good to know. We like good food but also variety, so having the same/similar food the whole cruise in a main dining room would not be great for us. 

6 minutes ago, kaz828 said:

Thank you, this is good to know. We like good food but also variety, so having the same/similar food the whole cruise in a main dining room would not be great for us. 

Oh - the menus change each night.  There are 4 main dining rooms (Cyprus, Tuscan, ,Normandie, Cosmopolitan, each with a "theme".  Cyprus for example is a Mediterranean theme, Normandie is a French theme, etc.  They will have the same main menu each night and each will have one or two unique items.  The menus will change nightly, but each dining room will have the same menu.  So different food each night - but each venue will have same (with exception of their one or two unique items).  Hope that clarifies

Edited by Shiba_Lover
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kaz828 said:

The main dining room has 14 rotating daily menus so it is not the same menu every day.  In addition each of the 4MDRs have 3 exclusive starters and 3 exclusive entrees (so 12 additional starters and entrees to choose from)  these are the same every day and are  in addition to the rotating daily menu items.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The main dining room has 14 rotating daily menus so it is not the same menu every day.  In addition each of the 4MDRs have 3 exclusive starters and 3 exclusive entrees (so 12 additional starters and entrees to choose from)  these are the same every day and are  in addition to the rotating daily menu items.  

This explains what I was attempting to explain way better 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nado44 said:

You'll want to book a suite in Retreat if you're looking for a similar MSC Yacht Club experience.

I assumed, but Retreat is out of our budget compared to Yacht Club unfortunately 

I would choose the Ascent or Beyond.   Both have been improved over the Apex and newer. 

Been on the Apex and Beyond.  I like the Beyond more than the Apex because of the Martini bar layout and having the World Class Bar.   The Ascent will have enhancements over the other 2.    

Any of them would be a nice cruise experience.   Best is to evaluate the cost and itinerary.   Choose the one that works for you.  Ex of you can get Aqua class on one ship for the same cost of a veranda on the other go for the Aqua if that is in your budget.   Wouldn’t pay any new ship premium to sail on the Ascent, if you understand what I mean.  

I would say take the one that is the best value for the same category.  It will all be new to you and enjoyable.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

This might be off topic and not at all helpful- none of them- Millenium Class! LOL!

Is one sailing this year?

Edited by kaz828

There are several threads going on for pages that address the noise problems found on Beyond  and, to a lesser degree, Ascent. 

No one who has recommended these has even mentioned that.

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

There are several threads going on for pages that address the noise problems found on Beyond  and, to a lesser degree, Ascent. 

No one who has recommended these has even mentioned that.

We were on the Apex March 2023 and had no issues with noise. No matter where we were. Looking forward to our September Edge cruise. 

O

Just now, doghog said:

We were on the Apex March 2023 and had no issues with noise. No matter where we were. Looking forward to our September Edge cruise. 

Apex doesn't seem to have the problem.

As I stated, it's Beyond and Ascent.

2 minutes ago, mafig said:

O

Apex doesn't seem to have the problem.

As I stated, it's Beyond and Ascent.

This thread also included Apex. I've read different posts that some say the music in the martini bar area and main theater was way too loud. But everyone is different so only speaking for myself.