Yet another tipping question

Grace61

8 hours ago, memoak said:

I think a lot of people on this thread never worked at service jobs. If there was no tipping then your restaurant prices would be at least 25% higher and you would then complain about that. Many restaurants have tried that and got lots of push back

I live in CA, where servers get paid at least minimum wage, currently $16.50 per hour.  Our prices are about 10% higher than when we go to Nevada where servers make $2.13 per hour, or federal minimum wage for tipped employees. 

13 hours ago, memoak said:

I think a lot of people on this thread never worked at service jobs. If there was no tipping then your restaurant prices would be at least 25% higher and you would then complain about that. Many restaurants have tried that and got lots of push back

I have worked service jobs.  And I now would gladly pay more to eliminate the tipping culture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rideev said:

I have worked service jobs.  And I now would gladly pay more to eliminate the tipping culture.

ya, but you wouldn't do it as often. 

42 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Why?

25% tip is exactly the same as 25% added to restaurant prices and no tip.

That's one way to look at it. Another way is, that large of an increase on items priced at seventy five dollars lends itself to shock value. One visit you payed $75.00 for that steak, it was a great dining experience, and you want to do it again next week. What was $75.00 last week is now $94.00 . That starts to push the phycological threshold of comfort. The I'll decide has been taken away from you. With the approval of the staff I tried the included approach. Within nine months, returning patronage had fallen double digits. A large percentage of costs can be mitigated in the food service industry, labor isn't one of them. I can assure you that the servers and back of the house prefer the "I'll decide" approach. So, with the approval of the staff, they voted to go back to the previous model of service. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rideev said:

I wanted to talk to him about the tipping on the cruise ship.  I asked him if I took off the auto gratuities if he would know, and if it would affect his pay.  He stated that he would know, but it would not affect his pay.

How would he know?  Where does he work on the ship, dining room?  

• Thanks 1

What does tipping in restaurants in the US have to do with what happens onboard a Princess ship ?

I haven't seen many Americans serving in the MDR recently.

Already on Princess many people do not have daily auto gratuities added to their final account.

1. Those who buy a Plus / Premier drinks package;

2. People who book in Aussie on an AUD ship;

3. World cruises;

4. Those who remove them onboard.

Many cruise lines do not have daily gratuities added.

It makes everything so simple.

Just charge the fare and state "GRATUITIES INCLUDED"

Leave the payment contract between Princess and the staff.

None of our business what goes where and to whom.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 4

On 1/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, rideev said:

Just got off of a cruise last week.  Prior to getting onboard the ship, we had breakfast in our hotel.  The host that sat us did a wonderful job.  My wife mentioned that he should work on a cruise ship, he said that he did.  We talked for a little bit, then he had to go back to his job as others were coming in to be seated.  After breakfast, I went and had a little conversation with him.  I wanted to talk to him about the tipping on the cruise ship.  I asked him if I took off the auto gratuities if he would know, and if it would affect his pay.  He stated that he would know, but it would not affect his pay.  His pay was a set amount.  I then asked him if I gave him cash did that go into the tip pool or did he get to keep that.  He stated that he got to keep it.  He stated that he would recommend that I take off auto gratuities (or now, service charge or whatever) and just give the money to whoever did a good job.  He stated that the cruise line just uses that money to reduce the cruise lines payroll as he is on a set contract with a set pay.  I did not remove tips on that cruise as it was short and we had already prepaid those.  However, I will be doing this in the future, and will be giving the full amount, plus some, to the staff that earns it.  Our last cruise we had a great wait team and a useless cabin steward.  The cruise before that we even had a maitre d that went above and beyond and got us an orange souffle in the middle of the cruise.  You know, that one they have on embarkation day lunch in the MDR.  It was special as they only made a couple just for us.

I wish that the cruise line would do away with the auto gratuities.  But that's just me.  If they need to charge more, then so be it, charge more and pay your staff what they are worth.

That being said, tipping is an individual decision and I wish all businesses would do away with it.  Pay your people what you need to pay them and charge the price you need to charge.

On a land side note... One of the guys I play pickleball with has retired from the restaurant management business, and now has gone to work at a resort as a part time waiter.  I asked him about the tipping business and how that works, and if he gets the tips, etc.  He stated that he prefers that customers give him cash, as he keeps all of that.  If they tip by Credit Card, then the business usually keeps 3%, then the rest goes in the tip pool.  

Yours is such an outstanding and thoughtful post that I encourage you to keep a copy of it and repost it in each and every tip tread that comes along

Bravo!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Yours is such an outstanding and thoughtful post that I encourage you to keep a copy of it and repost it in each and every tip tread that comes along

Bravo!!!

@Bgwest - Thank you so much for quoting @rideev! Somehow, I missed that and love it! It is quite an eye opener and very helpful. Our last cruise was on the Sky and we had the worst cabin steward ever and did not tip him extra. And @rideev is so correct about mentioning the issues regarding restaurant gratuities. We may pay by credit card but tip in cash. I worked as a server to get through school and the cash was so helpful.

Edited by nini
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Bravo!!!

This information may be out of date, the individual crew member does not know if the auto tip is removed 

2 hours ago, antsp said:

This information may be out of date, the individual crew member does not know if the auto tip is removed.

Why do you think it is out of date? It seemed like an honest and accurate report from a past cruise ship employee.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, antsp said:

Because I have 100% up to date information 

8 hours ago, antsp said:

This information may be out of date, the individual crew member does not know if the auto tip is removed 

That’s what I wondered.  How do they know?  Does GS tell them?  Do they have access to your folio?

I know years ago, they knew.  But,

I thought now, they do not know?

Interesting.

I just got off of a RCL cruise (only went on it to see Mamma Mia, we really dislike RCL).  On the second night, a formal night, we skipped dinner.  We got a call the next day, why did we skip dinner?  Was there a problem?  Very weird.

We were also informed every night (4 night short cruise) to fill out a survey and give everyone a 10.

While in most recent Princess cruises, was told a few times that the survey at the end of the cruise is the most beneficial for the employees.  A couple of times we went to the matre d to inform him of exceptional service.  He said thanks but made it a point to tell us to reflect it on the survey.

So, those all being said, I am going to remove the auto gratuities and give that much and maybe more to exceptional employees.  And the next cruise is 29 nights, so this will be a decent chunk of money.

And please, don't forget those people that clean the bathrooms outside the dining rooms, etc.  They are so quiet, but keep those things spotless.  And since they are not a cabin steward, they don't have 10 or 20 cabins to give them tips directly.

Great thing is, we can all do what we wish.

11 hours ago, antsp said:

Because I have 100% up to date information 

Please share your "100% up to date information". We are inquiring minds and CC is about informing each other and sharing experiences. Thanks

12 minutes ago, nini said:

Please share your "100% up to date information". We are inquiring minds and CC is about informing each other and sharing experiences. Thanks

I'm taking his assertion on faith.

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s what I wondered.  How do they know?  Does GS tell them?  Do they have access to your folio?

I know years ago, they knew.  But,

I thought now, they do not know?

Interesting.

Our dd works onboard a Princess ship, and is currently on a contract. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, antsp said:

Our dd works onboard a Princess ship, and is currently on a contract. 

Is she wait staff or a steward - those most likely to be tipped independently?

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm taking his assertion on faith.

I understand. However, it would be helpful to know the details regarding HOW the gratuity issue is now handled. @antsp stated that DD is onboard and has a contract. That IS a perfect source, but what are the details?

We prefer for crew members to be treated and rewarded properly. Knowledge is power.

I liken it to someone saying that their brother is a tour guide in Scotland. Ok............... please expand on the tour details as far as stops, price, etc.

Edited by nini
added words
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nini said:

However, it would be helpful to know the details regarding HOW the gratuity issue is now handled

Not to me.  I'm satisfied to pay whatever the cruise line tacks on as the daily gratuities and leave it to them to distribute them.  I'll give my steward a little extra at the end of the cruise and whether he/she can pocket it or is obliged to turn it over to a pool is none of my concern.  I don't drink so no bar staff to be concerned with and am not a regular at a MDR table so don't tip extra there.

• Like 2

I don't know how the tip pool is distributed as our daughter is in the 'entrainment dept' she's friends with a few bar tenders, (always useful) and they don't know who's removed the auto tip, as far as she understands tips are pooled fleetwide and most crew now are on a minimum fixed salary 

23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Not to me.  I'm satisfied to pay whatever the cruise line tacks on as the daily gratuities and leave it to them to distribute them.  I'll give my steward a little extra at the end of the cruise and whether he/she can pocket it or is obliged to turn it over to a pool is none of my concern.  I don't drink so no bar staff to be concerned with and am not a regular at a MDR table so don't tip extra there.

However, do we KNOW that the "crew appreciation" funds ARE being distributed? That is the detail that is worth knowing. I am fine with paying them as long as we are not being lied to. And, of course, doing as you do, reward extra to those we please.

14 minutes ago, antsp said:

I don't know how the tip pool is distributed as our daughter is in the 'entrainment dept' she's friends with a few bar tenders, (always useful) and they don't know who's removed the auto tip, as far as she understands tips are pooled fleetwide and most crew now are on a minimum fixed salary 

May be true for your dd. Not for all . A family crew member has told me that they know- some talk.

17 minutes ago, antsp said:

...as far as she understands tips are pooled fleetwide and most crew now are on a minimum fixed salary 

Thanks for the explanation.  Do you know whether "tips" refers only to the automatic gratuities and automatic service charges only or if tips handed to servers, stewards, etc. are also pooled?  We were told by both servers and stewards that they got to keep those tips.