Yet another tipping question

Grace61

Question- I have only cruised once before, on Disney.   There it was rotational dining in each MDR, with the same staff each night.  We prepaid the Gratuity.  On the next to last day, they supplied envelopes you could add cash to for steward or consierge staff or servers, which you could hand out last day. There was a sheet that listed how much of the prepaid Gratuity went to each person. 

So for Princess,how does this work?  I've prepaid the "crew appreciation".  Do you just hand people like your steward cash at the end of cruise? Or each day? Are your servers different each day?    
How are tips for bartenders handled with drinks that covered under Plus, or for servers in casual dining areas that are covered under Plus.  
I'm American, so used to tipping in restaurants etc.  But that I'm usually just adding to credit card bill.  Ive left some cash and note for housekeeping in hotels. Or given the valet a few bucks  But it seems awkward to just keeping handing people cash all over the place.  Plus I usually don't carry much cash traveling, relying on credit card.

Can you tip people like your steward through guest services, like added to your bill?  

Just making sure I've got it covered, for planning purposes, not complaining about it.

Really- not here to debate tipping culture.  Just trying to figure out the best way to handle things.  Like if we have a sea day, and I'm exploring the ship, do I need to carry a purse around, so I have cash with me?  Do I tip the steward first day if introduced, or just at end ?  Do you bring envelopes?  Do you leave cash on table at MDR or give to waiter?

• Like 1

We tip at the end for waiters (if they stay the same), and throughout the cruise for room service, and any specialty dining. Guest services can provide envelopes for end of the cruise tipping. 

Gratuity on Princess goes fleetwide. There's now slip like on DCL indicating your staff names and what their tip is, because it's spread thin.

Crew appreciation is supposed to cover the tips.  Some (but not all) people tip servers and stewards extra in cash.  It is not expected but I am sure appreciated.  IF we tip extra we do so at the end of the cruise in cash in an envelope. 

• Like 2

Crew appreciation fees do NOT supplement crew members salaries. All crew are now on fixed salaries. You auto grats go to Princess not directly to crew.  If you sail without a package you can remove auto grats and give the money directly to crew who made your sailing above and beyond your expectations. Do a search and you’ll find this policy is well documented.  

• Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Crew appreciation fees do NOT supplement crew members salaries. All crew are now on fixed salaries. You auto grats go to Princess not directly to crew.  If you sail without a package you can remove auto grats and give the money directly to crew who made your sailing above and beyond your expectations. Do a search and you’ll find this policy is well documented.  

What does Princess do with the crew Appreciation we pay when booking Standard fare?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grace61 said:

Do you just hand people like your steward cash at the end of cruise?

That's how we do it, for the steward, bar servers, MDR servers that have provided exceptional service, and anyone else who has gone above and beyond.  You don't generally get the same server in the MDR under the new dining system, but we found that there were still a couple who were so good that that they deserved a tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Crew appreciation is supposed to cover the tips.  Some (but not all) people tip servers and stewards extra in cash.  It is not expected but I am sure appreciated.  IF we tip extra we do so at the end of the cruise in cash in an envelope. 

This is also what we do.  At the end of the cruise we get envelopes from Guest Services and give extra cash to our cabin steward (who has been excellent in all of our cruises) and to our dining room servers if we’ve had the same ones throughout the cruise.  As far as bar drinks are concerned, an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the cost of your drink, but if there is a particular bar tender who has frequently served us we give him or her some extra cash at the end of the cruise.

We have sailed on Disney many times and like their system for addressing gratuities.

• Like 1

I usually go to Guest Services on the first day and sign off any 'optional' gratuities.  If I've had exceptional service from the Cabin Attendant I may give something in an envelope that I leave in the cabin after we've left.  I find the whole handing over of cash (albeit in an envelope) face to face very uncomfortable and prefer to avoid that situation.  Only once have I failed to leave 'a little something' for the Cabin Attendant and that person was most inattentive and appeared not to like their role at all - forgot to give clean towels, forgot to make the beds, forgot to vacuum the floor etc etc etc.  

• Like 2

I think Disney is pushing it and placing n their n guests in an uncomfortable position in what is supposed to be a vacation. We always get the Plus package which includes gratuities. However, like many, we enjoy tipping in cash to those who are extra special with attitude and service. (Cabin steward, wait staff, bartenders, room service)

• Thanks 1

Tips are always controversial and people are very passionate on both sides. 

Tipping is personal. In my opinion, tipping in the USA is out of control, but needed to survive, I support USA tipping. In Europe, tipping is not expected, people round up, and that's acceptable, I support that too. I try to follow local customs. 🙂

People working on Princess ships are likely hopeful for American tipping culture, especially when cruising in the US. We have always given our bar staff a tip at the end of the cruise. Extra tip for room steward, sometimes. We don't see our wait staff often enough to feel connected enough to tip extra, but we always leave our tips in place. Nowadays, with the plus and premier packages those are included, otherwise we used to always pre pay because we wanted to have as many extra expenses paid for ahead of time.

The main thing to remember is that you are not required to tip extra, but when you do, it is appreciated.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

What about the 18% added to every bar drink you

order?  Does that go to the crew OB?  TIA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's now slip like on DCL indicating your staff names and what their tip is, because it's spread thin.

When did this begin and on which ship?  It definitely wasn't on the Caribbean Princess last summer.

• Like 1

Crew Appreciation covers all cabin stewards, food and beverage waiters in all dining venues, bartenders, room service and others that you may never see. For spa service a % service charge is added to the bill. You may or may not have the same DR waiters for the entire cruise.

Even though tipping is covered through the daily Crew Appreciation I do like to provide some additional tips to certain staff that I see throughout the cruise. For me this includes the cabin steward, perhaps MDR waiters if I happen to get the same ones throughout the cruise, maybe a lounge waiter that has served me in a lounge that I frequent. I do this at the end of the cruise. Some people enjoy sitting at bars and do throw a few $$ to the bartender as they drink. Some give a few $$ for each room service delivery. Remember you are already paying $14.99/pp for room service and Ocean Now. Cash if king, the way to go. All extra tips should be in cash. You can ask for some envelopes at passenger services. I normally place cash into an envelope, and write a thank you note on the outside. You normally never tip ship's officers or cruise director staff. If you go to passenger services and ask to add additional gratuities they will gladly do this. Be aware that additional gratuities handled this way go into the fleet wide crew appreciation pool and never really get to the person you intend. Strongly recommend against it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nini said:

I think Disney is pushing it and placing n their n guests in an uncomfortable position in what is supposed to be a vacation. We always get the Plus package which includes gratuities. However, like many, we enjoy tipping in cash to those who are extra special with attitude and service. (Cabin steward, wait staff, bartenders, room service)

Exactly what we do, too.  I don’t fret about how Princess distributes the gratuities, that’s between them, the employer, and crew, the employees.  They both sign a mutually agreeable contract, so that’s good enough for me.  And, like you, we give a little extra to those who go above and beyond our expectations.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I usually go to Guest Services on the first day and sign off any 'optional' gratuities.   

When in the North American market you can not remove the crew appreciation if you have the plus or premier fare. You can only remove the daily gratuity charge if you have the standard fare. Not certain, but believe that in the Australian market the basic fare includes gratuities, or in other words salary amounts for the crew, which also can't be removed. In that market the plus and premier fares only adds the beverage package, wifi  and the other benefits. 

@Grace61 Welcome to Cruise Critic!  We usually give our steward extra in cash on the last evening of a cruise.  I prefer to do it then because you're not guaranteed to see them in the chaos of disembarking.  Now that Princess has switched to "Anytime Dining" you may very well have different waitstaff every night unless you make special arrangements.  We generally do not make those arrangements so we forego dining room tips.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

Where did you read this? 

Onboard FAQ on the Princess website

"All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

image.png.2537a387ac861c205c5fe518622c514a.png

"All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Typo - There's NO slip...

Should read:

There's NO slip like on DCL indicating your staff names and what their tip is, because it's spread thin.

I was referring to being spread thin, because of this on the Princess website:

56 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

...this on the Princess website:

"All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees.

I interpret that as exactly written:  "the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments are pooled."  Only those charges.  Tips given to individual crew are theirs to keep. 

We have been told that by numerous staff on different Princess ships.  When we do give an end of cruise tip in appreciation for their hard work, it is in an envelop with a note including our name and cabin number on the outside of it. 

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Should read:

There's NO slip like on DCL indicating your staff names and what their tip is, because it's spread thin.

I was referring to being spread thin, because of this on the Princess website:

For DCL it's distributed like this

• Dining Room Server $4.75/day
  • Assistant Dining Room Server $3.75
  • Head Server $1.25
  • Stateroom Host $4.75
  • If you stay consierge they recommend $8/ day

I couldn't see any breakout listed for Princess like this.

I gave extra to our main server and the stateroom host.  They both did a great job

5 minutes ago, Grace61 said:

For DCL it's distributed like this

• Dining Room Server $4.75/day
  • Assistant Dining Room Server $3.75
  • Head Server $1.25
  • Stateroom Host $4.75
  • If you stay consierge they recommend $8/ day

I couldn't see any breakout listed for Princess like this.

I gave extra to our main server and the stateroom host.  They both did a great job

We've sailed on DCL, and liked having the breakdown.