Back to Back different ships, same day, same port question

Mango Tango

We are doing a cruise on Celebrity Beyond and then getting on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas.  Same port, sale day.  My question is: Does Celebrity offer a shuttle to the next pier in Port Everglades for us?  Probably pier 25 to pier 18.  TIA

You can ask but if they say No, you can always grab a taxi.  

The biggest issue is how are you going to spend the time between disembarking Celebrity and embarking on Royal?  You will have a minimum of a two hour period between ships. 

• Like 1

It’s called side to side when you do this, and Celebrity’s answer was no when we asked the same thing. Spoke to captains club multiple times and customer service once on the ship. Stayed on ship till almost 9:30am then took a cab to the next ship. Try calling first - good luck.

Hal

• Thanks 1

Over the next few week Liberty is either at terminal18 or 19. 19 is nearer and is probably walkable, 18 more of a challenge.

We have done this a number of times when going from Celebrity to Celebrity at Port Everglades or at Miami but never from Celebrity to royal or v

Vice vesa and sometimes moving ports in the middle and I have never ever felt that Celebrity have any real idea how to make this happen. The seaside staff promise you that they have it all sorted out but all their job is about on turnaround day is to get their ship empty so that they can move on with the next cruise.

Finding who you need to talk to is difficult and you need to keep reminding them you are still there and waiting to be moved.

Usually they fit you on one of the vehicles taking other passengers to an airport and drop you off as you pass the new terminal.expect a shambles because that is what it feels like.

Our worst experience in 2020 should have been our easiest. They were supposed to have transport when we left the Edge at T25 tongontontge Silhouette at T21, right across the road. As usual no one knew about us. We were in a SS on the Edge and a PH on the Silhouette and there should have been someone to sort the move for us. Eventually we walked but that involves either walking up the whole side of T25 at that side of the road to find a pedestrian crossing or walking all the way to the front end of T25 and round the turning circle with all the traffic,  taxis, buses etc and in the heat,

We did make it but arrived at T21 far too early. It and it was closed. We were supposed to have a separate luggage drop off which wasn’t set up. So had to leave cases with staff who were not ready for us or wait outside for this to get set up in the midst of the new arrivals for the new cruise.  

Because there were so many new arrivals we entered the terminal, there is supposed to be a separate suite line set up. Staff knew nothing about it. We had to wait in queue with huge masses in who were joining and piling into a very small area. Eventually another suite guest forced their way to the front and we followed them. The staff in the terminal had no clue about what anyone was doing.

We did get through and had a great cruise, but our daughter was join us later in the PH. She was made to join the main queue and given no guidance at all. Not a good start to what was to be a great experience. This was on the 26th March 2020, the Silhouette’s second cruise after its revolutioning and the second last cruise before Covid shut cruising.

• Thanks 1

The last two winters we have sailed side by side and B2B on Celebrity. 

The first winter Covid was still an issue so no transportation provided. We grabbed a taxi and headed to the other terminal. 

Last year we were told that transportation would be provided. We showed up when we were supposed to and the CD had already taken the people down to disembark. Was told to go down to the port and we would be shown where to go to pick up our transfer. 

Ok, we did that and was directed to where they were loading buses for Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports. What a Sh*T show. Waited an hour to get our transfer. DW said let’s get a cab, I said we have plenty of time so I want to see how this Sh*t show plays out! 😂 Boarding the buses was like herding cats! No one knew anything about the process and there were language issues between the drivers, the transportation representative and no idea who the last person was. 🙄

So to answer your question in a long way, yes transportation is provided. We went from our Celebrity port to a RCCL port to pick up people then to another Celebrity port to drop off people and then our port. My God it took forever to move 8 people.

Bottom line take a cab, the fare is fixed from terminal to terminal inside the port. Less than $20, it’s posted on the window of the cab. I don’t remember exactly. 

Leaving February 10th to do it all over again! 😂

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

Just did B2B Apex to Reflection in FLL.  Was terminal 25 to 28 (think it was) and guest services/concierge was able to accommodate this and it was complimentary.  There were 3 other 'rooms' that were doing this as well.  It wasn't the most seamless.

We were told all arranged, get off (the Apex) with the last disembarking number which I believe was 48 or something and grab our luggage from this area upon leaving.  Then to go to the transfer busses, the one identified as going to FLL Airport. This confused us but we were told it would be dropped off along it's route to the airport ... perfect.  Where it was a little annoying was when we got to the bus area we are asked our names and the guy looks at his 'transfer list' and none of us are on it. Another guy came over (seemed to be more the organizer of all the bus transfers) and no matter how we all explained what we were told he was adamite that this was not how it worked.  This went on for way longer than it should have but we finally got on a bus  (which said to Miami LOL) and were taken on our way.

So definitely go to guest services but if it were me doing this again I would ask for something in writing or something that can be proof of the arrangement.

21 minutes ago, poffles said:

Just did B2B Apex to Reflection in FLL.  Was terminal 25 to 28 (think it was) and guest services/concierge was able to accommodate this and it was complimentary.  There were 3 other 'rooms' that were doing this as well.  It wasn't the most seamless.

We were told all arranged, get off (the Apex) with the last disembarking number which I believe was 48 or something and grab our luggage from this area upon leaving.  Then to go to the transfer busses, the one identified as going to FLL Airport. This confused us but we were told it would be dropped off along it's route to the airport ... perfect.  Where it was a little annoying was when we got to the bus area we are asked our names and the guy looks at his 'transfer list' and none of us are on it. Another guy came over (seemed to be more the organizer of all the bus transfers) and no matter how we all explained what we were told he was adamite that this was not how it worked.  This went on for way longer than it should have but we finally got on a bus  (which said to Miami LOL) and were taken on our way.

So definitely go to guest services but if it were me doing this again I would ask for something in writing or something that can be proof of the arrangement.

At least it was not just us that got the run around once we left the ship! Doesn’t make the experience any more enjoyable though.

48 minutes ago, countess5 said:

The last two winters we have sailed side by side and B2B on Celebrity. 

The first winter Covid was still an issue so no transportation provided. We grabbed a taxi and headed to the other terminal. 

Last year we were told that transportation would be provided. We showed up when we were supposed to and the CD had already taken the people down to disembark. Was told to go down to the port and we would be shown where to go to pick up our transfer. 

Ok, we did that and was directed to where they were loading buses for Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports. What a Sh*T show. Waited an hour to get our transfer. DW said let’s get a cab, I said we have plenty of time so I want to see how this Sh*t show plays out! 😂 Boarding the buses was like herding cats! No one knew anything about the process and there were language issues between the drivers, the transportation representative and no idea who the last person was. 🙄

So to answer your question in a long way, yes transportation is provided. We went from our Celebrity port to a RCCL port to pick up people then to another Celebrity port to drop off people and then our port. My God it took forever to move 8 people.

Bottom line take a cab, the fare is fixed from terminal to terminal inside the port. Less than $20, it’s posted on the window of the cab. I don’t remember exactly. 

Leaving February 10th to do it all over again! 😂

Cheers! 

I agree with this suggestion to get a cab.  We were in a suite from the Reflection to the Apex and it was a similar nightmare.  There is NO hurry so stay on the first ship as long as you can because you will just be in line outside waiting until all of the people with airport transfers are gone and then probably outside at the second ship because the terminal there will not be open even for suites.  Pack your patience and expect nothing will work if you do a "free transfer" because you will be waiting outside until the last bus goes to the airport and they will drop you off.  Be sure the bus driver knows you are Side by side so he can put your luggage in the front of the hole.

Follow up…..

Our experience was that a separate van was used to move us we were not on a bus, but……….again use a cab, we waited all that time as the buses were loaded before the van was available. 

Cheers! 

Seems like a lot of hassle and work to get a "free" transfer. I'd just take a taxi. Even though the rate is stated for intra-port transfers inside the taxi, I'd probably still offer the driver the amount it would be to go to the airport as they probably had to wait a while in line to get your fair. Seems like the $20ish you'd spend is well worth not having the stress. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree..take a taxi.  We went from Princess to Celebrity Reflection in December. Too far/too compicated to walk. Got off the ship around 8:45 a.m. Took a taxi to Celebrity Reflection Pier 29.  Some confusion there dropping off, but there was a place to drop off our luggage, and we found the line up to get into the terminal. We were surprised to have about 10 people in front of us. They let us in Terminal building at 9:50, we went through security around 10:00, were checked in by 10:15 and boarded the ship at about 10:50.  We did have the first check in booked (11:30)

Yes there is a free bus to shuttle you and I agree it can be a hassle,  even Celebrity to Celebrity.  Went from Apex to Reflection last year. When we exited no one outside had a clue where we should go. Finally person #5 or 6 that we asked pointed us to the right bus. They took us to the other pier then we had to stay outside in the hot, humid weather for about an hour before they let us in (and we were in a suite). I agree with staying onboard as long as you can then grab a taxi unless the pier is close and walkable,  which it usually isn't 

Thanks for all of your replies.  A lot of horror stories, to be sure. It's not worth the hassle for a free shuttle.  My plan now is to be one of the last ones off of the Beyond and walk to the Liberty, if the Liberty is at pier 19.  If the Liberty is at pier 18, we will gladly get a cab.  Either way, we're going to have a great time!

We did this in Rome between two different cruise lines.  It was not a real problem, but we did have to insist to the port bus driver that we did not want to leave the cruise port.  He wanted everyone to get off at the port gates and had difficulty understanding that we just wanted to go to a different pier. 

Our next ship was 5 hours late getting into port.  That would have resulted in our missing the second cruise had it been reversed.  I'm sure that is rare though and trip insurance would have covered it as a missed connection.  We are doing something similar in a few months but leaving an overnight in a port hotel between the two ships just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.  We were able to get off the Beyond at terminal 25 and walk through the parking garage to terminal 19.  The hard part was going from the beautiful Celebrity Beyond with only 3 kids on board to the RCCL Liberty of the Seas with over 500 kids on board!  The only reason I booked the Liberty was to go to Perfect Day at Coco Cay and go to the Coco Beach Club.  So worth it!!

• Like 1