Can we still take on bottled water and milk?

DeirdreTours

Embarking on the Queen Victoria February 7.  My husband uses bottle water to prepare a daily nasal rinse.  I drink Fairlife milk and want to take 3 cartons on with me.  I can't find anything more recent that 2018 about taking on bottle water.  Does anyone have any recent experience on taking water or milk on board for personal use?

7 minutes ago, DeirdreTours said:

Embarking on the Queen Victoria February 7.  My husband uses bottle water to prepare a daily nasal rinse.  I drink Fairlife milk and want to take 3 cartons on with me.  I can't find anything more recent that 2018 about taking on bottle water.  Does anyone have any recent experience on taking water or milk on board for personal use?

Bottled water is fine. I suspect milk may contravene various national food safety rules.

According to the UK FAQs:

While we do not encourage food and drink to be brought on board, we recognise that some guests with dietary requirements may need to enjoy your voyage and feel more comfortable onboard.

You are advised to carry such items on board yourself rather than placing in your check in luggage to avoid any damage in the loading process.

Although there are fridges in cabins, these are not temperature monitored and we cannot guarantee that they will keep foods at the correct temperature for safety. All items must be strictly for personal consumption, kept wrapped or sealed and not allowed to create any risk to health or likelihood of pest infestation in cabins or any other areas. Personal items may not be cooked for you on board, stored in the main stores or in any food room refrigerator or freezer.

There is probably something similar in the US FAQs. Please be careful with the milk - you do not want to get sick on board because your milk spoiled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I regularly take milk with me onboard sufficient to cover the full voyage. That sailing is out of San Francisco, so milk purchased in California would be fine to take on board, even though if you asked you may well be discouraged.  Which is why I wouldn't ask. I also often take a bottle or two of my favourite sparkling water. I dispose of any residue before disembarkation.

Milk is not a major problem area in terms of gastroenteritis for those who are lactose tolerant, for the simple reason that it tastes and smells vile when it has gone off. Stored rice is a much bigger problem area.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Bottled water is fine. I suspect milk may contravene various national food safety rules.

Milk so long as it is UHT (ultra heat treated,) is fine in sealed cartons, we have taken it on land holidays and cruises as those sachets they supply are abysmal. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Milk so long as it is UHT (ultra heat treated,) is fine in sealed cartons, we have taken it on land holidays and cruises as those sachets they supply are abysmal. 

How abysmal?

33 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

In my experience QV uses Lakeland milk sachets (sticks), which is UHT milk in a package that some like, some don't (it can squirt everywhere if you're not careful). Usually the steward will put both full and semi-skimmed sachets in your stateroom, hopefully noticing what gets consumed along the way. The Lakeland company is a farmer co-operative based in Co. Cavan and has a good reputation in the food industry. UHT milk has a long shelf life, but once opened it has the same (or slightly shorter) lifespan as pasteurised milk. It's neither safer nor less safe than pasteurised milk.

image.thumb.jpeg.bbb487f65880823c1f039ea254bbccc8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

In my experience QV uses Lakeland milk sachets (sticks), which is UHT milk in a package that some like, some don't (it can squirt everywhere if you're not careful). Usually the steward will put both full and semi-skimmed sachets in your stateroom, hopefully noticing what gets consumed along the way. The Lakeland company is a farmer co-operative based in Co. Cavan and has a good reputation in the food industry. UHT milk has a long shelf life, but once opened it has the same (or slightly shorter) lifespan as pasteurised milk. It's neither safer nor less safe than pasteurised milk.

Ah, those sticks. I have spattered several fellow passengers sitting diagonally opposite in the days when SWT used them. Now, alas, they no longer have trolleys.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Exactly you get 4 piddly sachets which my husband has in one cup of coffee leaving me zero! You can ask for more but they only usually add an extra one of each hence take my own. Plus Yorkshire tea bags for proper tea. 👍😋

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Add info

As regards bringing beverage items onboard, the legal folks at Cunard have managed to create conflicting paragraphs in the latest Australia T&Cs, dated 9 November 2023, ::

Paragraph 25c states:

image.png.77daf26b5836992098928aebe1241fa6.png

And then a few paragraphs later, paragraph 30b states:

image.png.9c0c7ee390c92f87c961d3e94ae29331.png

As we know, in addition to being inconsistent with each other, both paragraphs are inconsistent with normal practice, where passengers may bring any amounts of any type of beverage onboard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DeirdreTours said:

Embarking on the Queen Victoria February 7.  My husband uses bottle water to prepare a daily nasal rinse.  

I too on two past voyages had to use bottled water for nasal rinses for medical reasons.

IMHO......I had no problems what so ever. I carefully handled the bottles. I kept  them in the refrig.

When ready to use, took it out and mixed it. Warmed it by running the base of the Neil Med bottle carefully under the warm water in the sink. Or warm water in a glass.

Good Sailing.

• Like 1

To echo the other posters,
Embarking at SFO you will have no issue in taking on board in your luggage (either in the checked in or your carry on to the ship) your bottled water and your milk cartons.
Bottle water is fine to be taken on anywhere, but milk just may be an issue at some Foreign Ports if you get checked.

Top Tip :  (although am sure many of you do the same)

Just to mention if you do not want to use the horrid milk spattering sachets on the Kettle Tea Tray then just pop up/or down to the Lido Buffet and grab a jug of fresh milk and pop it in your fridge.

• Like 2

In my experience, and this is only on Victoria, the 'fresh' milk is more often than not, of the UHT variety which makes the 'horrid' milk sticks far more palatable.

As I always carry small scissors in my luggage, the stick splatter effect doesn't apply. 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

In my experience, and this is only on Victoria, the 'fresh' milk is more often than not, of the UHT variety which makes the 'horrid' milk sticks far more palatable.

As I always carry small scissors in my luggage, the stick splatter effect doesn't apply. 🙂

I do too very useful for opening the sachets without drama. 

12 hours ago, sfred said:

As regards bringing beverage items onboard, the legal folks at Cunard have managed to create conflicting paragraphs in the latest Australia T&Cs, dated 9 November 2023, ::

Paragraph 25c states:

image.png.77daf26b5836992098928aebe1241fa6.png

And then a few paragraphs later, paragraph 30b states:

image.png.9c0c7ee390c92f87c961d3e94ae29331.png

As we know, in addition to being inconsistent with each other, both paragraphs are inconsistent with normal practice, where passengers may bring any amounts of any type of beverage onboard.

Paragraph 30b suggests that if one does not have a 'Special Occasion' to celebrate, then one is not entitled to bring a bottle of wine or champagne on board! Seems rather puritanical! 😉

• Like 1

You can request a small jug of milk from room service to keep in your fridge, and get it topped up during your trip. However, as Victoria 2 says it is often UHT milk. I think you'd have to be on from Southampton to get fresh milk.

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Paragraph 30b suggests that if one does not have a 'Special Occasion' to celebrate, then one is not entitled to bring a bottle of wine or champagne on board! Seems rather puritanical! 😉

Every day on Cunard is a special occasion, so bring as much as you want.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rhiannon84 said:

You can request a small jug of milk from room service to keep in your fridge, and get it topped up during your trip. However, as Victoria 2 says it is often UHT milk. I think you'd have to be on from Southampton to get fresh milk.

It used to say somewhere on the FAQ that the fresh milk usually lasted about a week - just like in my fridge.

10 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Why not just ask for a fresh jug of milk to be delivered periodically?

A ship doesn't carry fresh milk - its all UHT - as that's all that will last for the weeks between resupply ports