Constellation live: 2/10/24 - 2/22/24 12 Night New Orleans & The Caribbean (aka Mardi Gras Cruise)

Lena11033

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Lena11033! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Lena11033 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Beginning to prepare for my trip, so wanted to get this post up and started in case I get held up with work (which is most likely as I found out a couple of weeks ago they are launch two new products while I'm off so have to prepare my team for migration 😆 there seems to be a trend last cruise same thing happened as well).  Other than work I have cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping to get done to make sure my husband eats actual food while I'm away (otherwise he'll probably live on hot dogs and burgers not kidding with this) and pick up dog food from Costco.

Anyway about me, I'm Jeannette I'm from the UK but I live in Canada. I live pretty much on the US border with Detroit so I sometimes fly from there depending on where I am going and what's a better deal for flights. I'm 42, married with no kids but 4 dogs so depending on how you look at it I have either 4 or 5 kids 😉

I travel solo as we don't have anyone to look after the dogs - four dogs would cost a fortune to board as my husband likes staying home it works out. I don't have any family in Canada and my husband's family are over 300km away.
I work in digital advertising for a national TV station in Canada, my job can be stressful so the cruises have become my happy escape to recharge.
This is my third Celebrity cruise, previous ones were Solo room on Beyond for Italy/Greece, Aquaclass on Summit for a few days last year to the Caribbean. I have also done last year Yacht Club on MSC to Northern Europe.

I'm heading out 2 days early as it's winter so wanted to try and avoid delays. I'm heading down on Thursday, I have a 10am flight there was an earlier one but it would mean being at the airport around 6:30am. I didn't want to be driving cross border alone through Detroit at 5am. Its a toss up on how to take the 5am drive, I've left going the other way for work at that time mostly around here is truck drivers and at that time they are tired and all over the road. Other thing that put me off is someone who reports to me recently drove to Detroit for a flight so had to be there at 5am and was hit by someone under the influence (they were coming from a party) and her car was totalled - in a case of an emergency I don't want to be at the side of the road alone in the dark in Detroit (I'm from London but this is a no from me with this).
Friday I'm just staying at the hotel (Hyatt) maybe going out for a walk about and dinner (no set plans so if anyone has recommendations for food in Tampa I'll take it as its my first time in Tampa).

Based on the fact I'm coming from Canada where it is winter, Florida has been chilly but warming up, New Orleans is hit or miss right now on weather then the Caribbean, I am packing for 4 season 😅

Here's hoping it all fits into one checked suitcase and 1 carry on (second carry on is my camera bag with equipment). I am flying first class so technically am allowed a second bag just not realistic with just me. Also normally when going to Europe I come back with clothes and food, I won't be buying that on this trip maybe a few souvenirs but will have alcohol for my husband (some things in the bag also aren't coming back with me).

32ThingsYouShouldALWAYSPackInYourCarry-OnBag.gif.f1115a99fecb815c13ef25f44ed2d86a.gif

The cruise leaves on the 10th, the itinerary is
Day 1: Tampa
Day 2: Sea
Day 3: New Orleans
Day 4: New Orleans (Mardi Gras)
Day 5: New Orleans
Day 6 and 7: Sea
Day 8: Roatan Honduras
Day 9: Belize city, Belize
Day 10: Cozumel, Mexico
Day 11: Sea

Day 12: Sea
Day 13: Tampa

TPA_MSY_RTB_BZE_CZM_TPA_1200x430.thumb.gif.0612da5ffc4bd1f4051b419cf1bd184c.gif

I'll be staying in a Celebrity Suite. (first time in a suite and probably only time based on the solo prices), at the time I booked I originally had Aqua Class but with prices drops this was almost the same price so I upgraded and it at the time came with a lot of OBC as this was purchased a couple of years back before all the changes. So most of my excursions are with the ship and using OBC (also I'm traveling solo so as I've never been to these locations I prefer to stay in a group).
New Orleans is the only place where for two days I don't have excursions, I've been to NOLA twice before so I'm comfortable walking around although never been during Mardi Gras but I tend to not stay out too late alone. I may also meet up with people from my husband's work who work near the French Quarter.

There seems to be lots of events on during this cruise, Superbowl (I don't do American Football so hopefully other things on), Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year and Valentines day which is funny as my husband will be at home with the dogs but I'll make it up to him especially as our 13 year old (bottom left photo) has suddenly started going down hill. In the Autumn she had surgery to remove cancer but now is having issues walking 😢

The Kids:

image.thumb.jpeg.f7894cc60e563f3412b7b650976f1e81.jpeg

• Like 17

We are on this cruise and will be following your posts. Suites are not in our retirement budget, so I'll be interested in the differences between standard and the Suite experience.

We have eaten at Maloney's in downtown - food has been excellent especially their grouper and burgers, A real friendly place with both indoor and outdoor dining. The location is a few blocks walk from the Hyatt Place downtown.

https://www.maloneyslocalirishpub.com/maloneysmenu

Safe travels to Tampa...........hope to see you on board.

• Like 2

My husband and I will be on this cruise as well.  No excursions planned for NOLA and i'm looking forward to going to the French Market and getting pralines. Of course getting the best Etoufee in the world too.   My team isn't in the Super Bowl (there's always next year!) so I am not crazy about watching either. 

Thanks Gary for the tip on Maloney's.   I wonder if this is the same irish bar I stopped at 20 odd years ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

My husband and I will be on this cruise as well.  No excursions planned for NOLA and i'm looking forward to going to the French Market and getting pralines. Of course getting the best Etoufee in the world too.   My team isn't in the Super Bowl (there's always next year!) so I am not crazy about watching either. 

Thanks Gary for the tip on Maloney's.   I wonder if this is the same irish bar I stopped at 20 odd years ago.

3 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

If it is rainy and you’re looking for indoor activity the World War II museum very interesting. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

It could be - their are quite a few Irish Pubs in the Tampa Bay area..........it looked like the business was well established. Maybe you were at one of these pubs???

https://tampabaydatenightguide.com/irish-restaurants-and-pubs-in-tampa/

Sorry that the Bill's didn't make it to the BIG game............our Miami Dolphins didn't make it either.

12 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

It could be - their are quite a few Irish Pubs in the Tampa Bay area..........it looked like the business was well established. Maybe you were at one of these pubs???

https://tampabaydatenightguide.com/irish-restaurants-and-pubs-in-tampa/

Sorry that the Bill's didn't make it to the BIG game............our Miami Dolphins didn't make it either.

we will check out the pubs.  Thanks for the Bills comment.  There's always next year!

17 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

We are on this cruise and will be following your posts. Suites are not in our retirement budget, so I'll be interested in the differences between standard and the Suite experience.

We have eaten at Maloney's in downtown - food has been excellent especially their grouper and burgers, A real friendly place with both indoor and outdoor dining. The location is a few blocks walk from the Hyatt Place downtown.

https://www.maloneyslocalirishpub.com/maloneysmenu

Safe travels to Tampa...........hope to see you on board.

We like Maloney’s also. Close to the Hampton Inn/Home2 where we try to stay. The wings were pretty good last time.

Dave

18 minutes ago, daytona said:

We like Maloney’s also. Close to the Hampton Inn/Home2 where we try to stay. The wings were pretty good last time.

Dave

We usually stay at the Hampton Inn/H2S - very convenient to Publix and CVS for those last minute items / snacks. We like to eat outside and watch the foot traffic while enjoying an early meal.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeannette, following along as we are on the cruise after you.  We are also from Canada (near Ottawa) and will also be staying at the Hyatt (Hyatt Place Downtown) for 2 days before the cruise.  I am already checking the weather lol....one thing for sure is it will be warmer than here (currently a balmy -1 celsius). 

Safe travels and looking forward to your updates!

• Like 1

Need to breath, one more day of work before flying down.

Last couple of days haven't been great, my 13 dog seems to be going downhill really quickly. Last few weeks she's not been able to walk, now she's sleeping a lot, not eating much and having issues with the bathroom 😭

My husband and I had to have 'the talk' of if it gets worse while I'm away what to do as we don't want her to suffer. Right now she doesn't seem to be in pain as she's not complaining and she's still got attitude with barking at everyone.

I'm definitely going to need some drinks when I get on board.

13 years ago today

May be an image of dog

Today (the cone is because she was pulling fur out her leg so this stopped that)

image.jpeg.6d99ba3027db8e2b28a8f689534db305.jpeg

• Like 14

14 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Need to breath, one more day of work before flying down.

Last couple of days haven't been great, my 13 dog seems to be going downhill really quickly. Last few weeks she's not been able to walk, now she's sleeping a lot, not eating much and having issues with the bathroom 😭

My husband and I had to have 'the talk' of if it gets worse while I'm away what to do as we don't want her to suffer. Right now she doesn't seem to be in pain as she's not complaining and she's still got attitude with barking at everyone.

Try to enjoy your cruise.  Just had to put down one of my English Cocker Spaniels. She was 14.5 years old and lived with my daughter but had been coming over each day since September so she wouldn't be home alone all day. She had a tumor that finally was pressing on her back leg giving issues with walking also.  And finally, being very picking about eating.  It's never easy.

25 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Try to enjoy your cruise.  Just had to put down one of my English Cocker Spaniels. She was 14.5 years old and lived with my daughter but had been coming over each day since September so she wouldn't be home alone all day. She had a tumor that finally was pressing on her back leg giving issues with walking also.  And finally, being very picking about eating.  It's never easy.

Thank you.

I think it's cancer, just because of the way her legs went so quick. She had cancer last year in her one leg causing issues walking and the vet said if it came back it would be a case of making it comfortable for her. 

Yesterday she was sleeping outside all day, now it's warmer we're letting her do that because we have a bird feeder and she loves watching the birds. We just put the towel on her just to keep a chill away, although she's like a little bear cub with her fur. She's really alert still she's watching us and sitting up for petting - also barking when her brothers are barking at the door 🙄

• Like 3

Thanks today's been a lot better, Bella's been awake more and smiling away so I'm not a wreck 😅

I think I have everything other than the few last minute things to pack that I can't do until tomorrow. Ordering pizza for tonight because I want to rest as I'll be up early tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Jeannette -  I pulled up a chair and will be following along.

So sorry to hear of your dog's poor health.   We had a wonderful Golden and I got way to close to him.   After I had to put him down I was never able to replace him.   I'm sure you know how Golden's attach to one person.    Since Iain was away all the time He was my absolute shadow.  Thoughts are with you.

• Thanks 1

Made it to Tampa - not going to lie it was a little stressful.

Bella update: before leaving she was doing really well this morning she was looking around and demanding petting and food.

I left at 7:30am and it should of taken me 50 mins to get to the airport in Detroit leaving me 2 hours at the airport, not today.

There was some traffic in Windsor then once I got to the border there were lots of people crossing. I did get a nice lady - last time I was really grilled about cruising alone this one gave me advice for security. Traffic in Michigan was a little busy but the airport was a zoo (I honestly think EVERYONE is leaving the cold behind). I circled for 15 mins trying to find a spot, finally got one but the guy on one side couldn't park properly so here's hoping my car doesn't have a huge scratch on it when I get back.

So glad I had first class because check in only had one person doing that when I first arrived and security line was large. I didn't look what economy check in looked like - it would put me off going economy next time 🫤

Of course they are pulling every other person in security to open their bags and check them, which I also got. So there's me just waiting line after line looking at my watch. The guy in the security line literally had a full size toothpaste in his bag and tried to argue it was ok to take (like please don't argue with airport security that's not going to end well). I finally made it to the gate with less than 10 mins before boarding started 😅

I'm considering this my exercise for the day.

Tampa was pretty straight forward, walked out, got bags and left - with first class my bag was one of the first ones off. Now I'm at the hotel about to go look for where I can stock up I need a CVS or Walgreens I realized I missed something in my toiletries of course

IMG_1128.jpg.bc730763858bff99719fd878b6df7e2a.jpg\\\

IMG_1132.jpg.237546bd33cc6f99097b7485ff8a84b5.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg.92f7c47192f389756764b318f1cd1822.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg.6e7fb3dc1c634cc2825e001c9aaaca0d.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg.524f627743d675f5970a20aa54082f1c.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg.a714facf94733c2dd733b1bb1cf0fcf8.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

• Like 8

Well it’s cruise day I would say I repacked but pretty much lived out of the suitcase yesterday. It feels like so much more in there than there is (probably needs a good repacking). 
Hit the breakfast buffet at 7am when it opened and it was packed. 

Now just chilling in my room with a coffee for a bit until I get an Uber to the terminal. 

• Like 4

Well I’m onboard just taking it easy after lunch with walking around. My emotions are a little all over the place (so if I’m sniffling I’m not sick just trying not to cry) last night when calling my husband Bella had taken a turn for the worse so as I was boarding this morning he was taking her to the vet to put her down. Hard decision but the fact she was bleeding yesterday meant the cancer was bad and couldn’t let her suffer. 

IMG_1220.thumb.jpeg.1ef787a051fcbf3ddf7de579688ef8a9.jpeg

• Like 11

My heart does out to you Lena. It ‘s the sad truth of having a pet that we will likely outlive them. You must have some great memories of spending 13 years with Bella. Try to focus on those good times.

I am also from the UK (Somerset) but have lived in California for most of my life. I still consider myself a Brit nonetheless!

Enjoy the cruise - Mardi Gras should be amazing.

• Thanks 1