X still using the room key?

sunsetme

1 hour ago, sunsetme said:

I am used to the medallion on Princess but I guess X is still using the credit card thingie. 

you can also use the app if you set it up.

48 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

will they punch a hole in it for a lanyard?

Not on our last cruise because the card has an rfid chip in it.

12 hours ago, Mark_K said:

you can also use the app if you set it up.

Not on our last cruise because the card has an rfid chip in it.

Guest Services will still punch holes in the card.

The person doing the punching knows where  the chip is located and punch a hole accordingly. 

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Guest Services will still punch holes in the card.

The person doing the punching knows where  the chip is located and punch a hole accordingly. 

As I said, not on our last cruise.  Maybe they did on your last cruise.

15 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

The app is only used for room access  on some Celebrity ships, not all

You are correct.   I was surprised that it was not available on Edge after dry dock.   Not sure if it was ever enabled on her.

27 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

I'm in the unpopular side of this. We had the medallion on Regal Princess and loved it.  I got apple tag rubber holders and they worked perfect.

Me too.

I wear mine in a silicone bracelet / watchband from Amazon, and LOVE not having to carry anything around the ship.  LOVE that it unlocks the cabin door as you walk up. So much easier when carrying morning coffee or anything else back to the cabin. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Me too.

I wear mine in a silicone bracelet / watchband from Amazon, and LOVE not having to carry anything around the ship.  LOVE that it unlocks the cabin door as you walk up. So much easier when carrying morning coffee or anything else back to the cabin. 

Right? I feel the same way.

• Like 1

So glad to hear they still use the cards.

We took our 2nd Princess cruise several months ago and we absolutely hated the medallions.  We had to go to guest services numerous times, because our medallions picked up other peoples charges and we had to have them removed.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

I'm in the unpopular side of this. We had the medallion on Regal Princess and loved it.  I got apple tag rubber holders and they worked perfect.

I love the concept.  But on the two different Princess ships we sailed on, we ran into many issues. It’s no fun when you get to your cabin door and it won’t open. Even after multiple attempts to fix the issue, one person in our travel party couldn’t get it to work for the last three days of the cruise. He always had to be with his wife if he wanted to return to their cabin.

Or when the bar staff can’t read them so have to resort to writing down everyone’s room numbers which really slows them down. Or when there are problems reading medallions at the gangway that create backups. 

I’m glad Celebrity still uses a card. 

• Thanks 1

Add me to the pro-medallion crowd.  Loved them and the Princess app that allowed you to find fellow cruise members and to be able to order food and drinks from anywhere in the ship and have the waiters find you with your order.  When we recently sailed again on Celebrity it felt like the dark ages in comparison. 

As to security - when ordering something from a waiter at one of the bars, when he brought back our drinks and the cards he gave us someone else's cards.  We never noticed the mistake until we got back to our room and couldn't open our door.  Needless to say, someone else had our cards and hence access to our room and could make charges on them until we went to guest services and straightened things out.

The cruise experience was so much better with the medallions it will influence our decision to cruise on Princess in the future even though we have long been Celebrity cruisers.

Edited by rjp50

8 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

Wish I could reprogram as an AirTag. Or can they be reused on future sailings?

No, they cannot be reused on future sailings.  They have a battery in them that doesn't last very long.  If you are on a long enough cruise, you will likely find you actually need to get a replacement medallion part way through.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:36 PM, rjp50 said:

Add me to the pro-medallion crowd.  Loved them and the Princess app that allowed you to find fellow cruise members and to be able to order food and drinks from anywhere in the ship and have the waiters find you with your order.  When we recently sailed again on Celebrity it felt like the dark ages in comparison. 

As to security - when ordering something from a waiter at one of the bars, when he brought back our drinks and the cards he gave us someone else's cards.  We never noticed the mistake until we got back to our room and couldn't open our door.  Needless to say, someone else had our cards and hence access to our room and could make charges on them until we went to guest services and straightened things out.

The cruise experience was so much better with the medallions it will influence our decision to cruise on Princess in the future even though we have long been Celebrity cruisers.

Your entire room number is not on the card as far as room access…your picture comes when the card is scanned at the bars..likewise you could have done the same with their card, but I’m guessing you didn’t.

That said, I always check my name when they return my card..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1