Shiprocked Cruise (Magic) collided with the pier in Ocho Rios

matymil

10 hours ago, bg2310 said:

Yea, was gonna say, even based on the rather low-res picture we have, doesn't just look like just some paint scrapes to me if you look closely enough.

Edited by Butterbean1000

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe we should wait for Carnival to make official comments.  

That makes perfect sense. And since we have posters who are on this cruise, I am sure we will read what Carnival is going to do with the rest of the cruise. 

14 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I just read that a crew member is reporting that levels 0, A and B were flooded.  Have you heard any of that?  He said the winds this morning caused the gangway to slam against the pier and broke.They untied her and the ship began to list and they have found a hole in the hull.

No, that’s not true. There’s no hole in the hull. It’s just paint scrapes and there was no flooding. I’m currently staying on the first floor. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lokiastro said:

No, that’s not true. There’s no hole in the hull. It’s just paint scrapes and there was no flooding. I’m currently staying on the first floor. 

That's good to hear.  First hand knowledge is the best, thank you.

15 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Prob nobody will notice the damage to the ship 

This definitely was not the case. Since the damage was port side, every last one of us saw the absolute relevance to the titanic/iceburg situation when getting back on the boat last night 😩

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

That's good to hear.  First hand knowledge is the best, thank you.

Of course! We all know how news like this spreads. Kind of like that game of telephone we played in school where one person said a sentence and the next person whispered it into the ear of the person beside them and by the time I got all the way around it was a completely different sentence 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lokiastro said:

Of course! We all know how news like this spreads. Kind of like that game of telephone we played in school where one person said a sentence and the next person whispered it into the ear of the person beside them and by the time I got all the way around it was a completely different sentence 🤣

Are you still docked in Ocho Rios? Have they given you any info yet?

52 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Are you still docked in Ocho Rios? Have they given you any info yet?

According to Marine Traffic, they are still docked in OR. I haven’t heard from my husband on board yet to see if they have any updates on itinerary or ship assessment.

IMG_7566.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lokiastro said:

Good info.  

2 hours ago, Lokiastro said:

yup

Just talked to my husband on board- he said the itinerary for the day indicates a 4:30 departure from OR today. He says they also offered excursions in Jamaica today.

Edited by Lucinarei
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Now I'm not @chengkp75, but I'd venture to say that ship isnt going anywhere until at least temporary repairs are made and signed off on by the relevant authorities.  Even then they may have to fly passengers out of Jamaica and sail with crew only to whatever drydock can work in a complete repair. 

I disagree.  I don't see any tears in the hull, and no sharp creasing that would require immediate repair.  And, since the Magic is due for dry dock in May, that will most likely be classed as "repair at next scheduled dry docking", and painted over.

1 hour ago, Knights on the Beach said:

I'm just wondering if they will need some kind of ship inspection before leaving there.

Yes, it will require an inspection, both exterior and interior if possible.  As there is a Lloyd's surveyor in Jamaica, he can do the survey today and let the ship go.  As noted above, it will become a "condition of class", or item that needs to be repaired before the next issuance of her class certificates, which would be in 2026.  The dents I see from the photos do not affect the strength of the hull significantly, and can wait to be repaired in May. 

If anyone has better photos of the damage, I may revise my statements, but nothing there precludes the ship sailing today with passengers, nor continuing to carry passengers for the foreseeable future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

56 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I disagree.  I don't see any tears in the hull, and no sharp creasing that would require immediate repair.  And, since the Magic is due for dry dock in May, that will most likely be classed as "repair at next scheduled dry docking", and painted over.

Yes, it will require an inspection, both exterior and interior if possible.  As there is a Lloyd's surveyor in Jamaica, he can do the survey today and let the ship go.  As noted above, it will become a "condition of class", or item that needs to be repaired before the next issuance of her class certificates, which would be in 2026.  The dents I see from the photos do not affect the strength of the hull significantly, and can wait to be repaired in May. 

If anyone has better photos of the damage, I may revise my statements, but nothing there precludes the ship sailing today with passengers, nor continuing to carry passengers for the foreseeable future.

When in May is the Magic scheduled for dry dock? I'm booked on the May 4 sailing.

3 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

When in May is the Magic scheduled for dry dock? I'm booked on the May 4 sailing.

I have no idea, all I can see on the Lloyd's website is that the bottom survey is due then, so sometime from April to maybe June will need to be a dry docking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Here is a short video clip posted in the last hour on YT that purportedly shows damage from the inside of the Magic being repaired and minor flooding after the pier mishap yesterday.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WExk3NSnrIo?si=g3dhOMHx1xCTOh5C

The buckled deck visible under where the crew are working will likely be repaired while in service.  The "flooding" that shows at the end, also shows trash cans used to collect water, so this was likely a pipe that sprung due to impact, and the trash cans were placed under the leak.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I have no idea, all I can see on the Lloyd's website is that the bottom survey is due then, so sometime from April to maybe June will need to be a dry docking.

Magic doesn’t have any gaps in her itinerary schedule that would indicate a scheduled dry dock. Any dry docking now would require cancelled sailings. 

25 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

Magic doesn’t have any gaps in her itinerary schedule that would indicate a scheduled dry dock. Any dry docking now would require cancelled sailings. 

Yeah, looked closer, and she could be planning on her last underwater survey in lieu of dry docking in May, but this may change that to require a docking to repair.  It may not need a full dry docking, just tip her over a bit to get that part away from the water, and cut out the damage and repair.  They could then do the underwater survey at that time.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

GoCCL says next scheduled dry dock is October of next year.