Shiprocked Cruise (Magic) collided with the pier in Ocho Rios

matymil

19 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Thank you for posting.  Maybe ship wasn't tied up tight enough?

Cruise ships are like sails in crosswinds because they sit so high in the water.

22 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Thank you for posting.  Maybe ship wasn't tied up tight enough?

Fiber mooring lines always have stretch, and the mass of the ship and the force of the wind will cause the lines to stretch.  Then, the winches are set with a known braking force, and will "render", or let the brake slip when the force is exceeded, in order to not exceed the breaking strength of the line.  If the line has stretched, or rendered, you can always work with the motion of the ship to reel in some line again, and settle the ship against the dock, but if the lines break, this tends to cause more lines to break, as the excess load is distributed among fewer lines, and you are almost helpless to control the situation.  Usually, there are spare lines, but they take time to get out and get ready to use, and in that time, the ship can get away from you.

The damage was caused not by the ship surging back and forth against the dock, according to what I've heard, but because one of the fixed rubber fenders on the dock collapsed, allowing the ship to strike a projecting portion of the dock.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

On a Carnival ship? Can't be!

I was able to compare firsthand the condition of the Disney Dream and Carnival Magic, both of similar age. The difference in maintenance was striking. The Disney ship still looked new - the elevator buttons weren't even scratched. The Carnival ship had stained carpeting and upholstery everywhere (I don't think there was a single chair or section of carpet that wasn't stained actually), rust all over, dirty floors, splintered handrails, broken floor tiles, hazy windows, etc.

56 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I was able to compare firsthand the condition of the Disney Dream and Carnival Magic, both of similar age. The difference in maintenance was striking. The Disney ship still looked new - the elevator buttons weren't even scratched. The Carnival ship had stained carpeting and upholstery everywhere (I don't think there was a single chair or section of carpet that wasn't stained actually), rust all over, dirty floors, splintered handrails, broken floor tiles, hazy windows, etc.

It's very clear from the outside alone when you're in a port with multiple ships from multiple lines, like Cozumel or Nassau.  From the condition of the exterior alone (i.e., visible rust), older Carnival ships don't appear as well maintained as similarly aged ships from their competitors. Granted it's primarily cosmetic, but not the best first impression for someone on another cruise line who may be considering Carnival in future.

58 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

It's very clear from the outside alone when you're in a port with multiple ships from multiple lines, like Cozumel or Nassau.  From the condition of the exterior alone (i.e., visible rust), older Carnival ships don't appear as well maintained as similarly aged ships from their competitors. Granted it's primarily cosmetic, but not the best first impression for someone on another cruise line who may be considering Carnival in future.

yes, but a Disney cruise costs about 3x as much. I’d rather see a few rust stains and chipped tile and cruise more!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

yes, but a Disney cruise costs about 3x as much. I’d rather see a few rust stains and chipped tile and cruise more!

To a point, until you feel like you're slumming it at a Motel 6, kinda like my last Valor cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Common misconception. The price you pay has nothing to do with the cost to produce the good. Carnival charges what they can get. With older outmoded ships that they don't maintain as well as they could, they can't charge as much as other lines.

19 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

And also on a Carnival cruise you may get to see more Goofy characters.Screenshot2024-02-08103312.png.1a8bbd280b38e7f511ec7843afbf7adc.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Common misconception. The price you pay has nothing to do with the cost to produce the good. Carnival charges what they can get. With older outmoded ships that they don't maintain as well as they could, they can't charge as much as other lines.

Didn’t you just explain exactly why the cost to produce the good has everything to do with the price you pay?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jerryg95 said:

Didn’t you just explain exactly why the cost to produce the good has everything to do with the price you pay?

Nope. The consumer won't pay as much for an outmoded, rusty, dirty ship - so Carnival can't charge as much. Everything in economics is all about what somebody is willing to pay for something. The cost to produce the good decides if the good ends up getting made. If it costs more to produce a good than the consumer is willing to pay, then it won't get made. 

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The consumer won't pay as much for an outmoded, rusty, dirty ship - so Carnival can't charge as much.

Which is why Carnival is filling ships but still underperforming compared to its competitors.  Carnival waited too long to try to start meaningfully competing with the latest and greatest from Royal and NCL and is now paying for it in the current high-demand cruise market. 

Yes they are filling ships but they could command a premium on more than the 3 Excel class ships, if only they had more competitive ships.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yes they are filling ships but they could command a premium on more than the 3 Excel class ships, if only they had more competitive ships.

Perhaps there's something to be said for consumers to have an option without that premium, or at least with a lesser premium, built into the cost. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Nope. The consumer won't pay as much for an outmoded, rusty, dirty ship - so Carnival can't charge as much. Everything in economics is all about what somebody is willing to pay for something. The cost to produce the good decides if the good ends up getting made. If it costs more to produce a good than the consumer is willing to pay, then it won't get made. 

The funds it takes to make or keep a ship sparkling and functional is not the price of the good? The higher price that the consumer is willing to spend to go on that nicer ship is not directly related to the fact more was spent to produce/ maintain that ship and therefore the good was produced at the higher cost?

29 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Perhaps there's something to be said for consumers to have an option without that premium, or at least with a lesser premium, built into the cost. 

Yes, being the lowest provider isn't always the most profitable decision in a market.  For example in today's travel market people are increasingly looking for a more premium and less no-frills experience. See for example how Spirit and Frontier Airlines are currently performing with their no-frills business models.