Moved up to Retreat. Can I save on anything?

kingcole

Delighted to have a bid of under $100 a day accepted for our upcoming cruise on Edge next month. 

We had booked on the old all inclusive rate into a Prime Concierge. Then, in the Black Friday sale, we took advantage of upgrading WiFi and drinks to premium. 

I think I could unwind the premium WiFi and drinks. 

if we did, would we get premium WiFi anyhow as in the Retreat. 

In know that for drinks you only carry over the package you had but if we downgraded to classic, would this mean we could still enjoy premium drinks in Luninai, Retreat Lounge and Retreat sun deck?

If you downgrade the premium upgrades you will only be able to enjoy premium drinks in the Retreat Lounge.  Luminae and Retreat sundeck are limited to the booked package.

If you downgrade Wifi you will have basic wifi only.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Luminae and Retreat sundeck are limited to the booked package.

Are you saying if you do the move up upgrade to a suite that you are not entitled to eat in Luminae?

No it’s the drinks which are limited.  The post was awkwardly worded.  

You need a drinks package to order drinks in Luminae and the Retreat Deck.

no package needed for drinks within the Retreat lounge.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you downgrade the premium upgrades you will only be able to enjoy premium drinks in the Retreat Lounge.  Luminae and Retreat sundeck are limited to the booked package.

If you downgrade Wifi you will have basic wifi only.

That may be the rule, but I don’t recall ever being asked to present my card when ordering drinks on the sundeck. 

15 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

That may be the rule, but I don’t recall ever being asked to present my card when ordering drinks on the sundeck. 

We were asked for our cards the first time we ordered drinks on the Sundeck. 

When you use Move Up to obtain a suite in the Retreat, you keep whatever drinks and WiFi packages you originally had.  What you receive via the move up upgrade is access to dine in Luminae and access to the Retreat Sun Deck.  You do not receive the Premium drink package and Premium WiFi that comes when you purchase the suite directly. 

41 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

Are you saying if you do the move up upgrade to a suite that you are not entitled to eat in Luminae?

All Retreat guests can dine in Luminae, but just like in the MDR, drinks/wine are charged according to your beverage package if you have one.

Which is why I’ve been wondering if the MoveUp from Aqua Class to the Retreat on an unrefurbished ship is worth it. Would it just be a slightly larger room, complete with a bath, and access to Michael’s Club that would be the only differences? (Not counting Luminae as a difference because of already getting access to Blu.)

38 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We were asked for our cards the first time we ordered drinks on the Sundeck. 

When you use Move Up to obtain a suite in the Retreat, you keep whatever drinks and WiFi packages you originally had.  What you receive via the move up upgrade is access to dine in Luminae and access to the Retreat Sun Deck.  You do not receive the Premium drink package and Premium WiFi that comes when you purchase the suite directly. 

Most likely, it depends on the ship, sailing, and bartender. The one time we moved up from Aqua, and had a classic package, we were never asked to show a card.

21 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Most likely, it depends on the ship, sailing, and bartender. The one time we moved up from Aqua, and had a classic package, we were never asked to show a card.

It could be as simple as if the Retreat was fully booked and there were no move-ups therefore everyone has a drink package. Bartenders might know this and not bother asking. The only time I sailed E-class was in 2020 on Edge and I was asked for my sea pass card to order a drink on the sundeck.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It could be as simple as if the Retreat was fully booked and there were no move-ups therefore everyone has a drink package. Bartenders might know this and not bother asking. The only time I sailed E-class was in 2020 on Edge and I was asked for my sea pass card to order a drink on the sundeck.

Perhaps, you missed the part where I said that I got a move up on the cruise.

Edited by Mark_K

2 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Perhaps, you missed the part where I said that I got a move up from Aqua on the cruise, and had a classic package.

I was really responding to your first sentence, speculating why Retreat Sundeck bartenders may or may not ask for cards in general, not your specific case. I should have quoted only that sentence to be clear.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Which is why I’ve been wondering if the MoveUp from Aqua Class to the Retreat on an unrefurbished ship is worth it. Would it just be a slightly larger room, complete with a bath, and access to Michael’s Club that would be the only differences? (Not counting Luminae as a difference because of already getting access to Blu.)

The room is at least 50% bigger than an AQ cabin, bathroom has a bath but we would prefer a proper shower. Balcony is also 50% bigger. No more waiting for someone to clear the end of the bed so you can go toted other side of the room. That is worth it alone!

• Thanks 1

Back in 2019 I was asked for our seapass cards at the retreat pool bar. I did see on this board that X had stopped asking for seapass cards at the retreat pool bar. I dont like the Edge class suite class. We have Apex booked for June.

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

The room is at least 50% bigger than an AQ cabin, bathroom has a bath but we would prefer a proper shower. Balcony is also 50% bigger. No more waiting for someone to clear the end of the bed so you can go toted other side of the room. That is worth it alone!

AQ on the Edge doesn't have a balcony, it is a IV.

We were having lunch on the Sun Deck last fall and I noticed that there were liquor bottles for the Classic package liquors.  I asked the bartender why, since the Retreat had the Premium package, reply we have guests who bid up and have the don't have the Premium, we also have some with no beverage package.

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

@Gordoncruickshank was replying to my post and as I stated, we’re not on a revolutionised ship, so not Edge. Hence me asking if there was going to be much difference apart from the larger room.

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I don’t think he post that I replied to referred to the Edge and there was no sign of them having anything booked on an E class, but if the AQ have IVs then surely that makes a suite much more appealing.

4 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

There's a huge difference between Blu and Luminae.

I’ve been in both.  Both are nice but I agree with you.  In Blu when you ask for something they have they’ll get it for you.  In Luminae if you ask for something they don’t have they will try to make it happen.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I’ve been in both.  Both are nice but I agree with you.  In Blu when you ask for something they have they’ll get it for you.  In Luminae if you ask for something they don’t have they will try to make it happen.

As I previously stated, simple tastes so unlikely I’d be asking in the first place.

Upgrades to the retreat go on a "list" kept by room number so that every point of sale (face to face) can verify if you have the full benefits or not. They will get to know you in a day or so and know that they need to charge for drinks in the reuired areas.