Denied Access with International Passport

17 hours ago, Travel_Patti said:

Hello,

We arrived on cruise day and realized I brought my Hungarian passport instead of my U.S passport. They looked me up, and admitted that they see I am a U.S. citizen, but would not allow me to board without my U.S passport. We are now out about $3000 and experienced major emotional damages. Royal Caribbean will not refund us, only for taxes and gratuity. Do I have a case against them? 
thank you!

I'm a bit confused.  Why are you posting this on cc?  

I highly doubt this is a true story.  Travel Patti is Hungarian?  How did they get on plane (arrived usually not always means plane)with a Hungarian passport and not noticed?  If they did come by car, why not drive back and get correct passport!  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I'm a bit confused.  Why are you posting this on cc?  

I highly doubt this is a true story.  Travel Patti is Hungarian?  How did they get on plane (arrived usually not always means plane)with a Hungarian passport and not noticed?  If they did come by car, why not drive back and get correct passport!  

One - You can use your driver's license to fly in the USA, Two if they drove from out of state they would still miss their cruise going back for it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

Just because some tragic accident may happen and person will lose their passport doesn’t mean everyone can be allowed to travel without passports. 

A person who lost passport I believe must contact US embassy or something and get a new one to be able to return to US. 

Again this is only true if you are flying back to the US as you can't fly without a passport due to the airlines receive a huge fine if they let you. Direct border crossing and by seas is different. CBP can't deny US citizens entry into the US.  A good example is you are in Miami getting ready to disembark from the cruise and you find out you lost your passport. The cruise ship doesn't let you stay on the ship. You get off the ship and go into CBP secondary processing until they go thru their system and identify you as a US citizen. 

17 hours ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

That is not correct. The US requirements for airlines is for all passengers to have passports including US citizens. That is an airline requirement and they can get fined big time for letting someone without a passport on a flight. However the US does not require its citizens to have a passport to enter the country by sea or land. They will keep you in secondary until they get proof of your citizenship. 

You missed the part where the post you quoted quantified it as FOREIGN born US citizen, you must, in fact, have their passport. This is due to the fact that they can not produce a US born birth certificate to accompany their photo ID when on a cruise for example.

Even US citizens by birth need a passport or EDL to enter the country at land crossings.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, it comes down to CBP regulations and not the cruise line. I am a dual citizen US & CDN technically it is just as easy for me to travel with my CDN passport however as a US citizen I have to enter the US as US citizen so with my us passport so that is what the airlines and cruise line receive and coming back to Canada I enter on my CDN. My nexus has both linked and I always have both passports for international travel. The onus is always on us as passengers to have original documentation and ensure we are meeting travel requirements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You missed the part where the post you quoted quantified it as FOREIGN born US citizen, you must, in fact, have their passport. This is due to the fact that they can not produce a US born birth certificate to accompany their photo ID when on a cruise for example.

Even US citizens by birth need a passport or EDL to enter the country at land crossings.

Sigh no a citizen is a citizen there is no legal difference. Again you are spreading misinformation. The CBP cannot deny a citizen entry into the US with or without a passport.  We are not talking about having a passport or birth certificate to go on a cruise we are talking about entering the US via a land border or sea port.   Any US citizen can present themselves at a US border crossing without a passport and will be granted entry (after thorough checks and questioning) Look up court case Worthy v. United States,  "The Government cannot say to its citizen, standing beyond its border, that his reentry into the land of his allegiance is a criminal offense; and this we conclude is a sound principle whether or not the citizen has a passport,"

1 minute ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Sigh no a citizen is a citizen there is no legal difference. Again you are spreading misinformation. The CBP cannot deny a citizen entry into the US with or without a passport.  We are not talking about having a passport or birth certificate to go on a cruise we are talking about entering the US via a land border or sea port.   Any US citizen can present themselves at a US border crossing without a passport and will be granted entry (after thorough checks and questioning) Look up court case Worthy v. United States,  "The Government cannot say to its citizen, standing beyond its border, that his reentry into the land of his allegiance is a criminal offense; and this we conclude is a sound principle whether or not the citizen has a passport,"

Now you are changing the parameters of your argument. You were called out as wrong, and pivoted.

A citizen must prove citizenship

Good day

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Now you are changing the parameters of your argument. You were called out as wrong, and pivoted.

A citizen must prove citizenship

Good day

What? I have not changed anything. Once again a US citizen can't be denied entry to the US with or without a passport. At no time did I pivot or change any parameter. Of course a citizen must be proven a citizenship that is why they go to secondary inspection.  You don't just say "I'm a citizen" and walk on by 🙂 

20 hours ago, Tatka said:

I am so sorry.

I am originally from another country. I believe if you are US citizen you need to leave and enter US with US passport. (if you are natural born here you can board with Birth Certificate + DL)

If you are not and have a Green Card then you can use GC + other passport.

I don't believe you do, my dad got the the port and couldn't find his green card so he was also denied boarding. Worst part of the story was it was in his wallet the whole time, hadn't had it out in years and it was stuck to another card in there. UGH!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I would imagine the Hungarian passport neded a ESTA to go with it and the OP didnt have their other boarding docs, Birth cert, driving Licence etc for closed loop US trips. 

if OP is naturalized, a foreign birth certificate with a US license is not going to satisfy boarding requirements.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

I don't believe you do, my dad got the the port and couldn't find his green card so he was also denied boarding.

that's exactly what she said. If you are a legal resident, you need to have your GC with you to travel with a non-US passport.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

So she brings the wrong passport never double checks on the way there. Gets there just in time and gets denied but no time to go get the correct docs. I think I'd look into how can I get the correct docs and meet up with cruise at first port if cheaper than losing out on entire vacation money spent. 

I ALWAYS double & triple check. BUT on 1 cruise we get to airport using a service to take us there. And Realize that while my husband grabbed every one's luggage ( his, daughter,  daughter's friend) He completely forgot MINE. 😳  What a fiasco.  Woke my sister at 5 am she drove to.my house found the spare key, got my suitcase and drove to the airport. Hubby stayed back ( got the next flight) 

Us girls were going between crying and laughing. Thankfully it all worked out! Oh the one he forgot had all my clothes. The one he grabbed was shoes, toiletries and snorkle. I would have looked amazing for a week in heels and a snorkle😅

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not true for a naturalized US citizen. We cannot board a closed loop cruise with a foreign birth certificate.

Kind of - if under 16 if you don't have a government ID you can cruise with your foreign birth certificate and your certificate of naturalization. Per CBP site for cruises - "The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)"  and "present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)."

I have read so many of these horror stories over the years 

I once traveled with 3 other adults ( who do not travel often) asked to see all the passports before we got into the car 

We were driving from Montreal to NYC to catch a cruise 

We are about 2 hours from the border

But who wants a 4 hour detour.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Kind of - if under 16 if you don't have a government ID you can cruise with your foreign birth certificate and your certificate of naturalization.

you keep splitting hairs.

OP didn't show up for her cruise with her naturalization or citizenship certificate combined with her foreign birth certificate. She showed up with a foreign passport.

Both my DH and I would rather cruise with a US passport. They are cheap and can be replaced in a jiffy. Not so much with our naturalization certificates which stay put in a safe.

Even our kid who was born in the US cruises with his US passport. Nuff said.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I think I'd look into how can I get the correct docs and meet up with cruise at first port if cheaper than losing out on entire vacation money spent. 

Unless you booked through A2S Royal will no longer allow you to board downstream.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unless you booked through A2S Royal will no longer allow you to board downstream.

I did not realize you could board downstream with an A2S booking; I assumed it was just completely forbidden.

Thanks for the information (I have never used A2S) but what is the distinction that allows it to happen if you use air to Sea?

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I did not realize you could board downstream with an A2S booking; I assumed it was just completely forbidden.

Thanks for the information (I have never used A2S) but what is the distinction that allows it to happen if you use air to Sea?

It depends on the circumstances.  It would have to be a previously valid flight that was delayed or cancelled and they can actually get you to the next legal port to board.  a lot of hoops 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 12:21 PM, Travel_Patti said:

Hello,

We arrived on cruise day and realized I brought my Hungarian passport instead of my U.S passport. They looked me up, and admitted that they see I am a U.S. citizen, but would not allow me to board without my U.S passport. We are now out about $3000 and experienced major emotional damages. Royal Caribbean will not refund us, only for taxes and gratuity. Do I have a case against them? 
thank you!

No!

On 2/9/2024 at 3:03 PM, GetToLivin said:

So I'm not the only one 🤣 I will leave my suitcase before I will leave my documentation!

We sailed out of Florida in August - Imagine my surprise when we go to check in and my daughter looks at me and says "you didn't tell me I needed my passport!".  As we were doing the walk of shame, about to eat the cost of the cruise, I remembered I had her BC on me. You better believe I did a happy dance heading to the ship!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 12:21 PM, Travel_Patti said:

Hello,

thank you!

welcome-to-cruise-critic-580161-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Candleonwater said:

We sailed out of Florida in August - Imagine my surprise when we go to check in and my daughter looks at me and says "you didn't tell me I needed my passport!".  As we were doing the walk of shame, about to eat the cost of the cruise, I remembered I had her BC on me. You better believe I did a happy dance heading to the ship!

My soul would leave my body if this ever happened to me 🤣 Glad it worked out and you happened to have the BC.