Important Beer Question 🍺

1 minute ago, Langham1865 said:

is that the Holland America beer mostly clipped out of the picture on the left?

I’m not sure. I am at the “Ask the Captain” so I will take a look when I go back to the SeaView bar

6 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

He said “Nein”!  🤪

yes it was the HAL beer with our wonderful bartender Adolpho!!!

IMG_4812.jpeg

someone got me a couple cans of that beer.... I am blanking on the style this moment, but I remember it being tasty!!!!

Tell the Captain I'll but him a beer!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks - Alaskan brewing has some pleasant ales, but unfortunately I'm doing South America and Antarctica. Can always hope.

Our 2018 Holland America sail away from Sydney advertised local beers. The local beers were from Alaska!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/23/2024 at 7:28 AM, Papaeagle said:

We just returned from a cruise on the Eurodam. Everything was great and we had no real complaints; however, I did make a suggestion on my review. I truly enjoy trying local beers on every port we visit. So I suggested that Holland should consider offering beers on the ship that reflect the itinerary. Our next cruise is October on the Rotterdam, so I would love to see them implement this plan.

On the two Alaska cruises I've been on, they had Alaskan Brewing beers available on rolling tap bar on the mid-pool deck. That's the only time I've seen a local or "craft" beer on HAL - but I agree it would be a nice addition for we beer lovers!

On 2/23/2024 at 8:44 AM, Heidi13 said:

I know they don't have any craft beers, but do any of the bars have any locally sourced beers, as of that lot, Guinness is the only one I will drink.

When we cruised on the Westerdam, in Japan and over to Seattle, last Spring, we were pleasantly surprised to find a decent selection of both local (Japanese and San Miguel) as well as international selections.  Unfortunately, as our cruise continued (we were on for 42 days) the inventory of the Japanese beers (i.e. Kirin, Sapporo, etc) soon disappeared.  Then one day, all the San Miguel was also gone (reliable info was that it was pulled from the bars to save the remaining inventory for the crew bar).   Eventually it got down to the usual Heinekens, Buds, etc.  To quote one of our favorite bar tenders, "inventory replenishment is not one of HAL's strong suits."

Hank

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Then one day, all the San Miguel was also gone (reliable info was that it was pulled from the bars to save the remaining inventory for the crew bar).   

Hank

Having been to the Philippines and being married to a Filipina, this does not surprise me! 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:51 AM, Langham1865 said:

when I went to Alaska, the did have Alaskan Brewing Company beer on board on the Eurodam... Can't say if the do this on other Itineraries

@Heidi13 we saw the same on Eurodam last April/May to AK. And AK beer on tap by Lido. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:02 AM, Nickelpenny said:

Here’s the setup on the Zaandam this morning at the SeaView Bar. 

IMG_4803.jpeg

Clearly you will need a full wardrobe of beer over-garments.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Slightly off-topic but I hope HAL fixes the self-serve draught on the Pinnacle ships! I love getting Newcastle Brown draught but the machine is always down. Sadly.

Where is this wonderful device? I missed it on the Nieuw Statendam in December. I don't want to make the same mistake in March on the Rotterdam.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Where is this wonderful device? I missed it on the Nieuw Statendam in December. I don't want to make the same mistake in March on the Rotterdam.

It should be right next to the pool bar. It was there a year ago. 

Looking at that array I'm pretty glad I will probably be beered out from the 26 day land portion of our Down under adventure. That is a poor group to say the least. If you are going to have Guinness and it's not on tap then you better have the cans, they have the "widget" that produces the famous Guinness head. The bottles don't have the widget. I may try the HAL brand and hope it isn't too hoppy. As for the rest it is definitely for the American audience.

• Like 2

@Blackduck59I tried Grolsch on my first HAL cruise and saved the bottles for a friend who does home brewing. If my friend didn't want the bottles, Grolsch would not be my cruisebeer of  choice. I also avoid the US brands which, to me, are fairly bland.

Lyle, I'll put a few bottles of Tooheys OId in the fridge for when you arrive. I think they have draught Guiness at my local yacht club.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Looking at that array I'm pretty glad I will probably be beered out from the 26 day land portion of our Down under adventure. That is a poor group to say the least. If you are going to have Guinness and it's not on tap then you better have the cans, they have the "widget" that produces the famous Guinness head. The bottles don't have the widget. I may try the HAL brand and hope it isn't too hoppy. As for the rest it is definitely for the American audience.

Lyle - If you're in Sydney, a pub crawl around "The Rocks" would be a great afternoon, as this was one of my favourite spots when we docked at OPT every 2-weeks, back in my Aussie cruising days. Hit a few of the spots on our last time in Sydney.

Totally agree with your view on the onboard selections. I haven't drunk any of that rubbish for over 20 years, as similar to Victoria, we have an abundance of local breweries. Right now we have 4 within 3 miles of the house and a 5th opening in the summer. Must admit, I am partial to a pleasant IPA, even Imperial, or double IPA's. The IPA on the ship is a joke - only 6.2% ABV and about 45 IBU - just a Pale Ale, not a true IPA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Lyle - If you're in Sydney, a pub crawl around "The Rocks" would be a great afternoon, as this was one of my favourite spots when we docked at OPT every 2-weeks, back in my Aussie cruising days. Hit a few of the spots on our last time in Sydney.

Totally agree with your view on the onboard selections. I haven't drunk any of that rubbish for over 20 years, as similar to Victoria, we have an abundance of local breweries. Right now we have 4 within 3 miles of the house and a 5th opening in the summer. Must admit, I am partial to a pleasant IPA, even Imperial, or double IPA's. The IPA on the ship is a joke - only 6.2% ABV and about 45 IBU - just a Pale Ale, not a true IPA.

Funny thing our hotel in Sydney is at "The Rocks", we are meeting some friends from CC while we are there. They will be in Sydney to board their Princess cruise while we are there. Hopefully by the time we board the cruise in March next year they will still have stock for the down under crowd and that will hold out for a while before it runs out and we are left with Bud Lite and Corona. Oh well there is always the Pusser's Painkiller as a suitable replacement.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:02 AM, Nickelpenny said:

Here’s the setup on the Zaandam this morning at the SeaView Bar. 

IMG_4803.jpeg

Oops, I see they are missing the Hoegaarten bottle.  Probably because we drained their stock last time onboard...

On 2/23/2024 at 9:44 AM, Heidi13 said:

I know they don't have any craft beers, but do any of the bars have any locally sourced beers, as of that lot, Guinness is the only one I will drink.

Andy, those are all actually "safety beers" - you can see your enemies coming through all of them (with the exception of your choice!). In my case, opaque beer is hazardous to my health - you are clearly universally beloved. 😈    🍺🥌

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Andy, those are all actually "safety beers" - you can see your enemies coming through all of them (with the exception of your choice!). In my case, opaque beer is hazardous to my health - you are clearly universally beloved. 😈    🍺🥌

Rob - Good one. If I drink yellow beer, it better be hazy and/or really hoppy, so I still wouldn't see the enemies coming😁 Some of my old crews wouldn't agree with me being universally beloved, so hopefully we are all chilled on the 8 - 11% IPA's & Stouts I enjoy. After sampling a couple of growlers, everyone is pretty chilled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1