Scooter needed

sixpackeddie

Special Needs at Sea is one company that provides rentals.  

have you booked her an accessible room? The normal rooms are often very tight for a scooter

has she ever driven a scooter? Can she maneuver it, and back one up in an out of elevators?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

has she ever driven a scooter? Can she maneuver it, and back one up in an out of elevators?

That's a very good question and a real concern.  If she has never driven a scooter make her practice before the cruise. Otherwise she could injure guests or herself.

• Like 1

First of all, most cruise lines will only let certain mobility rental companies bring their equipment aboard.   The two companies most frequently allowed are scootaround.com and SpecialNeedsatSea.com.   You will need to contact these companies for pricing.   (If you call Scootaround, ask them to apply discount code USCRUISE for a discount.   This code is from United Spinal and I think you have to actually call to have this code applied.)   And you may need an accessible stateroom to accommodate the scooter (inquire with Celebrity right away about what is available because they go fast).  The scooter will either be in your stateroom when you arrive or next to the terminal entrance; the rental company will tell you where to pick up your scooter.   When your cruise is over, you just leave your scooter where you picked it up (stateroom or pier).  

If the scooter is in your stateroom for pick-up, you might consider Celebrity's wheelchair assistance (their wheelchair) for embarking and disembarking.  

You might hop on over to the Disabled Cruise Travel board.   You will find hundreds of discussions  (and helpful hints) about scooters.  And wheelchair assistance.     https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Here is Celebrity's link for Special Needs passengers.  You will need to advise them you are going to have a scooter.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

That's a very good question and a real concern.  If she has never driven a scooter make her practice before the cruise. Otherwise she could injure guests or herself.

Too many are rented to folks who can't handle them.. Rental should require short training video or hands on &/or a dr's note.. they can be dangerous to the operator and others!

• Thanks 1

Nice idea but logistically impractical.  

The first time I needed a scooter I injured my knee, literally on the way to the cruise. No time for a doctors note I was lucky that a scooter was available at the very last minute.

Many people bring their own scooters from home. So placing any restrictions on rental scooters wouldn’t affect them.

Edited by cruisestitch

11 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Special Needs at Sea is one company that provides rentals.  

have you booked her an accessible room? The normal rooms are often very tight for a scooter

These are two providers who will deliver to your cabin and pick up from your cabin after you disembark. They both have online sites for you to explore which is best and pricing.

image.png.541475935f968e40306cd858aad0845d.png

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

ones from home  probably know how to use them...

we are  tired of scooter rambos! gives those who need them a bad rap!

Why would anyone rent a scooter if they didn't need one?

This thread is timely.  DH has walking (back) problem and also recently diagnosed with heart issues as well.  Cruise is booked and anticipated but getting around will be a concern and most likely not doable on a scale needed to enjoy it.  He's considering a scooter but from comments here they are a nuisance and not easily controlled if not experienced with one.  Would like to hear from someone who had one delivered to their non-accessible cabin;  could they enter the door and use the scooter easily?  He's of athletic build and ably strong, so he thinks it wouldn't be a problem for him if the access to the room is not an issue.

24 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Why would anyone rent a scooter if they didn't need one?

more about expecting people to always give them the right of way and speeding when a lot of walkers are around. But there are some who can walk and can't be bothered. Oh and then those who ask for wheel chair assist when disembarking so they cam pass the lines. Talk to the shore staff about that one. They have many tales of those suddenly fit enough to walk fast and drag luggage after they exit

1 minute ago, gold1953 said:

more about expecting people to always give them the right of way and speeding when a lot of walkers are around. But there are some who can walk and can't be bothered. Oh and then those who ask for wheel chair assist when disembarking so they cam pass the lines. Talk to the shore staff about that one. They have many tales of those suddenly fit enough to walk fast and drag luggage after they exit

I doubt there are 'many' but there are some who take advantage I'm sure.  We've cruised for years with X  (not needing any kind of assistance being younger and able) and haven't found what you describe.  OTOH, we've been respectful of the space required by those who did use a scooter for which they expressed their thanks.  This would be the first time HAVING to use a scooter which we didn't think would provoke negative reactions from some. Perhaps our cruising days will not be as enjoyable so may rethink our options.

2 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I doubt there are 'many' but there are some who take advantage I'm sure.  We've cruised for years with X  (not needing any kind of assistance being younger and able) and haven't found what you describe.  OTOH, we've been respectful of the space required by those who did use a scooter for which they expressed their thanks.  This would be the first time HAVING to use a scooter which we didn't think would provoke negative reactions from some. Perhaps our cruising days will not be as enjoyable so may rethink our options.

Scooters are a very good thing for most, but we have seen the negative a few times. I have no problem making allowances in any venue but when someone yells " scooter coming through" and has no intentions of slowing down, it is not polite. Many walking and standing have painful hips, knees, backs etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Scooters are a very good thing for most, but we have seen the negative a few times. I have no problem making allowances in any venue but when someone yells " scooter coming through" and has no intentions of slowing down, it is not polite. Many walking and standing have painful hips, knees, backs etc

Oh well....a right fighter.  Yes there are those with those afflictions and others with 'hidden' afflictions for which they'll use a scooter.  They may be able to walk a certain distance but beyond that small distance they'll have definite problems.  I can't base my across the board dislike on one rude thoughtless person (such as what I find sometimes on CC).

41 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Would like to hear from someone who had one delivered to their non-accessible cabin;  could they enter the door and use the scooter easily?  He's of athletic build and ably strong, so he thinks it wouldn't be a problem for him if the access to the room is not an issue.

You will need to know how wide the scooter is vs how wide the stateroom door is.  Most of the rented scooters can be broken down to fit through a door.     

3 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

You will need to know how wide the scooter is vs how wide the stateroom door is.  Most of the rented scooters can be broken down to fit through a door.     

Thanks will check that out. 

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Oh well....a right fighter.  Yes there are those with those afflictions and others with 'hidden' afflictions for which they'll use a scooter.  They may be able to walk a certain distance but beyond that small distance they'll have definite problems.  I can't base my across the board dislike on one rude thoughtless person (such as what I find sometimes on CC).

you misunderstand me, this is not about one person. I do not have an across the board dislike on any level. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If you know that you are using the scooter for a valid reason, and it sure seems to me that you are, just don’t worry about what others think because you are doing it based on legitimate need.  I hope you are all able to enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We've cruised for years with X  (not needing any kind of assistance being younger and able) and haven't found what you describe.  OTOH, we've been respectful of the space required by those who did use a scooter for which they expressed their thanks.  This would be the first time HAVING to use a scooter which we didn't think would provoke negative reactions from some. Perhaps our cruising days will not be as enjoyable so may rethink our options.

My advice is to do what is needed to enable your cruise. People aren’t likely to comment or bother you onboard. My knees are shot and without a scooter, I wouldn’t be able to cruise.

Mine is a foldable travel model that I drive right up to the airplane door and through the cruise terminal and around the ship. Very occasionally while onboard I may have a good day and be able to walk with a cane for short distances. If people think I am “faking it” that’s on them. I am finally scheduled for knee replacement surgery this summer and I look forward to being able to walk, pain free. I will continue to hold doors and make room for those using mobility devices, like most people.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Too many are rented to folks who can't handle them.. Rental should require short training video or hands on &/or a dr's note.. they can be dangerous to the operator and others!

Agreed…

I’ll add the “scooter coming through” comment rings true with me, I have heard it, and it’s beyond ridiculous.

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, redjetz said:

My advice is to do what is needed to enable your cruise. People aren’t likely to comment or bother you onboard. My knees are shot and without a scooter, I wouldn’t be able to cruise.

Good luck on the knee replacement surgery, my Grandmother had both of hers done when she was in her 90 ‘s…she said she should have done it 15 years earlier…it did give her almost 10 good years of pain free walking after replacement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This thread is timely.  DH has walking (back) problem and also recently diagnosed with heart issues as well.  Cruise is booked and anticipated but getting around will be a concern and most likely not doable on a scale needed to enjoy it.  He's considering a scooter but from comments here they are a nuisance and not easily controlled if not experienced with one.  Would like to hear from someone who had one delivered to their non-accessible cabin;  could they enter the door and use the scooter easily?  He's of athletic build and ably strong, so he thinks it wouldn't be a problem for him if the access to the room is not an issue.

I rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea in January 2020 for a cruise on Celebrity Equinox in a regular, not an accessible, balcony cabin.  It was a B2B and the scooter fit both in a cabin with bed by balcony and one with bed by bathroom.  Special Needs will ask the cabin you have booked and will not let you rent one that wouldn’t fit as they deliver them to your cabin.  I was very impressed with the service and the price.  I would suggest bringing a small door wedge to keep the cabin door open when entering or exiting if you are by yourself.  And I had never operated one before and I had no problem.  Granted I am in my 60’s.

Your fellow passengers finding you invisible in front of elevators is entirely another issue…😡

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg

• Thanks 1