Sun Princess Cabana Disappointment .................

deultgen

Also the original poster is confusing the "cabana".  The are three parts to the cabana cabins.  The "cabana" is the small room between the main room and the balcony.  The balcony is NOT the cabana part.  It's a balcony cabin with a silly (in my opinion) extra transition space.    (I think I'm right about this.)

I would not bother with these types of rooms and especially not ones where your "balcony" looks out on the cabana deck.  Who thought that was a good idea.  Probably the same designers that wasted the aft view on a public staircase!  🙂

But different folks like different things.  That's what's great about cruising!

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Like 6

Princess should reclassify the Cabana Suites with the tall glass barriers as Obstructed Cabana Suites.  Yeah, you can see through them, but they're tinted and you can't stick your arms out like a regular height balcony barrier.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

I definitely would not want a cabin where folks are walking right in front of my balcony.  No privacy whatsoever!  We booked a "regular" Reserve Collection Mini-suite on Deck 12 for our 50-day cruise in Oct/Nov of next year.

so jealous!  Can't wait for your live from!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

I’m honestly not surprised at all regarding the deck 9 cabana cabins. I thought they were described accurately prelaunch and are exactly what I expected which is why I didn’t book one!! 

I agree and I actually did book one! I’m fine with people being outside on the cabana deck in order for us to have direct access. The only thing I am disappointed with is the 2 level glass on the balcony railing of the deck but I can live with it. I have absolutely no intention of paying to use chairs around a pool when I would usually get adults only for free so this is perfect. I’d much rather put that money towards a weekly pass at the thermal suite.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

would not bother with these types of rooms and especially not ones where your "balcony" looks out on the cabana deck.  Who thought that was a good idea.

Probably a schematic from the IT department!  🤣

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, SMA9497 said:

I agree and I actually did book one! I’m fine with people being outside on the cabana deck in order for us to have direct access. The only thing I am disappointed with is the 2 level glass on the balcony railing of the deck but I can live with it. I have absolutely no intention of paying to use chairs around a pool when I would usually get adults only for free so this is perfect. I’d much rather put that money towards a weekly pass at the thermal suite.

We agree and also booked one.  We think the pluses way out way the little negatives.  Reserve Class Dining, a room where you can be exposed to the sea but not necessarily outside on long cold cruises, access to a restricted space and loungers when space is probably going to be a premium on this large a vessel, the opportunity to meet people, and the glass is no more obstructing the view then what is on the Lido deck and those views I would not call obstructed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SMA9497 said:

I can absolutely see the attraction to these depending on your preference. For me it’s all about that up front view of the ocean. Our differences is what keeps life interesting! 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The others look like a mass cabana deck.  How is that relaxing?  Would be great if you

had a large group traveling together.

I think the idea is that you have access to lounge chairs that are limited to a small group of people. So you aren't fighting for one in the more public areas.

I see other lines have "balcony" cabins where the balcony leads to a deck and not a view of the ocean so I guess people like that. Not me. But other people. 🤣

Has anyone else noticed that the Reserve cabana’s don’t have the light fixture over the bed that the regular minis have. You would think with it being a “Premium” category they would have had it. Small stuff in the grand scheme of things though

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Amy G said:

I have a C1 Cabana booked, and I am not really happy that I can't look down at the ocean from our balcony.  I might not even be able to see the ocean if people are standing out there.  Unfortunately, our cruise is fully booked, and there are no rooms to move to.

I would cancel

Not the greatest of designs. It doesn't offer much privacy & I can envision many arguments for people who book those cabins & expect to use the loungers directly in front of their balcony area anytime they wish. 

2 hours ago, Shone216 said:

Just wondering if you can walk out on to the Cabana deck from the Reserve Cabana mini suites

Yes

someone posted photo yesterday of gate and lock on gate

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not to me. First time I see or hear about it.

Me too. I booked C2 to have access but still have a balcony with ocean view. Well as soon as I saw no covering/total exposure to the elements (like the Dolphin deck on Gem ships) and the tall blue wall on the balcony……..I immediately got hold of my CVP and changed to a reserve mini on deck 11. Whew! Bad surprise avoided! Many thanks for posting the C2 pictures. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

What about the congregation of friends that can't find a lounger, so they stand in front of your "balcony" until loungers open up?

No thanks.

Wouldn’t the loungers be for those in the cabana cabins?

• Like 3

We are booked in cabin #9349 for July.  I hope that someone is able to video the room.  All the back and forth kinda has me wondering if I should try to change the room selection or even upgrade to a suite.   Any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

We are booked in cabin #9349 for July.  I hope that someone is able to video the room.  All the back and forth kinda has me wondering if I should try to change the room selection or even upgrade to a suite.   Any suggestions?

Cabana Cabin 9349 is NOT one of those that has the 'cabana deck' area right in front of it.  Nothing in front of your balcony, except for the glass...  (would you appreciate the protection from the wind and elements?)

Yours is a mid-ship, category C2... Not one of those C1 category cabins.

The exterior balcony is not covered... but of course the cabana is.

if you want a cabana cabin, where the balcony area is covered and does not have anything blocking your sea view,  look at the ones located on the sphere

PS:   to the poster who mentioned the diffrence between a mini-suite and a cabana mini...

That lighting area over the bed is not the only difference between a Mini and a Cabana Mini.

The Cabana Mini Suites are actually Deluxe Balcony cabins, with the addition of the cabana area between the main cabin and the balcony.  Look closely at deck plans and diagrams and videos of cabins.  I believe the MiniSuites have a slightly larger bathroom (still no tub...)  Which, the Cabana Minis, are like Deluxe Balconies with that standard, smaller, bathroom.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

I would say to wait for a couple of cruises to happen and people to provide more on their personal experiences with the cabana minis.  I'm in one at the front of the ship and while I would prefer different furniture than the love seat - I was hoping form more of a lounger. And not a fan of the tall glass, which we have known about for some time, I'm sticking with it for now.  Hope I like it as I'm booked with my wife and some friends for the 16 night transatlantic.  could be a long cruise if we end up not liking it!

• Like 2

Just a note...  As I wish we had done...

For those of you, on a future cruise, who are not sure about your cabin category..  

I wish we had put a deposit down on two cabins, so that when the ship rolled out, if we wanted the different (higher category) cabin,  we already had the fare locked in and our name on the cabin.

Prices on our cruise on the SUN princess have gone up, and to cancel and book the larger balcony now would be a really big price increase.

• Like 3